PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy class and general questions

desiraju01
10-23-2008, 07:36 AM
i wish i could ask this question on the main Caribbean thread, but i do not know where that is and i am going ask all my "General" questions here in this thread.

basically, before i start to ask u the questions, keep in mind that i am a hearing-impaired student that wears digital hearing aids. i do not know sign language. i am normal like you except my hearing sux bawls (lol).

I know that in anatomy class, we wear scrubs and white facemask (the one that covers your mouth and nose)

for me, it's going to be difficult because i read lips when i converse with people.

so the main question is, do we really need to wear facemask?
i see pictures of students wearing it but the professors aren't.

is it possible for me to talk to professors before the semester starts? not just for anatomy but for other classes, because it will allow them to know me and we can discuss things.

is it possible for me to talk to the dean or someone who may know what to do?

i am not trying to make people to adjust things around, more like i am trying to adapt to the people around me.

i know most caribbean med schools do not have any accomodation for students like me, but im willing to face the challenge and overcome it as i have done always.

i do not think there is an option for "clear" or "transparent" facemask available, but are in the process..i could be wrong.

i hope the AUA official or someone with "in the know" can chime in and answer the questions.

also, to those who have taken anatomy class, please answer my questions.

Thanks!

DOC.p
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
i wish i could ask this question on the main Caribbean thread, but i do not know where that is and i am going ask all my "General" questions here in this thread.

basically, before i start to ask u the questions, keep in mind that i am a hearing-impaired student that wears digital hearing aids. i do not know sign language. i am normal like you except my hearing sux bawls (lol).

I know that in anatomy class, we wear scrubs and white facemask (the one that covers your mouth and nose)

for me, it's going to be difficult because i read lips when i converse with people.

i see pictures of students wearing it but the professors aren't.

is it possible for me to talk to professors before the semester starts? not just for anatomy but for other classes, because it will allow them to know me and we can discuss things.

is it possible for me to talk to the dean or someone who may know what to do?

i am not trying to make people to adjust things around, more like i am trying to adapt to the people around me.

i know most caribbean med schools do not have any accomodation for students like me, but im willing to face the challenge and overcome it as i have done always.

i do not think there is an option for "clear" or "transparent" facemask available, but are in the process..i could be wrong.

i hope the AUA official or someone with "in the know" can chime in and answer the questions.

also, to those who have taken anatomy class, please answer my questions.

Thanks!
unless things have changed since i took anatomy, we never wore face masks.

desiraju01
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM
well i don't know, i am just trying to learn what is anatomy is like.

i see some other schools varies.

thanks btw, doc..could u answer some other questions as well?

drforlife
10-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Of course,

When you get to the island, go to the campus and talk to dean secretary to schedule an appointment... You can probably e-mail her too.. get this info with the school, they will be able to help you in every way.

For masks, you can use them, but will get use to without them... have your gloves, BRS, atlas..etc

Cyberia
10-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm in anatomy now..we dont use facemasks. And if you have any disabilities, you can talk to the school and they will make the necessary accomodations for you.

Tipton
10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm in anatomy now..we dont use facemasks. And if you have any disabilities, you can talk to the school and they will make the necessary accomodations for you.

Per DW, VP of Admissions and Enrollment Management:

“Unfortunately, there is no service on the island for the hearing- impaired, or deaf student. And, since our school is located on a still-emerging, and economically-challenged island, regrettably, neither our campus nor the housing facilities are disability friendly.”

sreec
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Facemasks are optional in anatomy - people use them to reduce the odor of the preservative agents used on the cadavers. They are required in many components of your clinical rotations - Surgery and Ob/Gyn, for example. When its time for that, you can let your clerkship director know.

desiraju01
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Per DW, VP of Admissions and Enrollment Management:

“Unfortunately, there is no service on the island for the hearing- impaired, or deaf student. And, since our school is located on a still-emerging, and economically-challenged island, regrettably, neither our campus nor the housing facilities are disability friendly.”

i understand that and we've talked about that previously. i wasn't really asking for a service. but i was asking along the line if the professors and i could work some things out to make it better for me and them so that it will not interfere with the structure of the class overall.

for example, if we are wearing face-masks and teachers who are also wearing facemask are teaching with the students, then it will be hard for me to understand what is going on. So if we discuss this matter in advance, then professors and I could meet after class in office to discuss briefly or there can be an appointment where i can dissect the cadavers along with the teacher without a facemask being involved.

im really proactive in making sure that i cover my bases and my needs.

since there are no services, that is why i must try and find out what i can do that can help me effectively in succeeding in medical schools.

but overall, im glad there is no facemask involved in anatomy.

:)

Tipton
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I was simply posting that for everyone's info since I had sent that to you via PM. Don't want students giving the wrong impression about AUA. It's not that we don't want to help. We simply don't have the ability right now.

desiraju01
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
i understand! no probs!

SemTuv
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
i understand that and we've talked about that previously. i wasn't really asking for a service. but i was asking along the line if the professors and i could work some things out to make it better for me and them so that it will not interfere with the structure of the class overall.

for example, if we are wearing face-masks and teachers who are also wearing facemask are teaching with the students, then it will be hard for me to understand what is going on. So if we discuss this matter in advance, then professors and I could meet after class in office to discuss briefly or there can be an appointment where i can dissect the cadavers along with the teacher without a facemask being involved.

im really proactive in making sure that i cover my bases and my needs.

since there are no services, that is why i must try and find out what i can do that can help me effectively in succeeding in medical schools.

but overall, im glad there is no facemask involved in anatomy.

Take a trip to Antigua, come visit campus on weekday (you'll need to get a visitor pass) see campus for yourself and talk to students, staff around here and may be even go to anatomy lab. Then you'll get a sense of how its here. Many prospective students took a trip before making decision. Try and find out !

Tipton
10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
That's a GREAT idea! If you can see Dr. B, Exec Dean in Antigua. He would know the most about how we can or cannot accomodate a student's needs.

desiraju01
10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Take a trip to Antigua, come visit campus on weekday (you'll need to get a visitor pass) see campus for yourself and talk to students, staff around here and may be even go to anatomy lab. Then you'll get a sense of how its here. Many prospective students took a trip before making decision. Try and find out !

yes, that is a good suggestion. i have thought about it. i'll have to take a thanksgiving weekend trip there..hmm...duly noted!

desiraju01
10-24-2008, 11:07 PM
thought about that trip for a while today,

i dun think its gonna be worth taking the trip without knowing if i would get in or not..i'd rather get accepted first and then take the trip..would be waste of money to go and not get accepted..

even though i have to wait to finish this semester and send the transcript so they can schedule the interview..hmm..

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.