PDA

View Full Version : Accepted to 4th Semester, Questions bout AUA

kns1
10-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Hello all
I actually finished my basic science from another carib med school, but wanted to do my clinicals in AUA because my school isnt NY approved. However, I was accepted into their 4th semester, because the school felt that I could benefit from solid teachings in pharm and path. I am debating accepting, mainly cause I really dont want to go back to another island, but I realize its only for 4 months.
How do you the the older students (semester 2 and and on) feel bout their quality of education. Do you guys feel prepared for step 1, and do you think the school is doing an adequate job in stressing what you should know? My last school was pretty terrible at that. We were taught by teachers who were basically students (they just got their MD or MBBS from India and were probably a year or the same age as I am). Do you feel the material is difficult enough to be challenging? Do students cheat quit a bit on their classes? My school was notorious for cheating on exams by figuring out questions banks and stealing previous exams and such.

So basically I am really intersted in your clinicals but i may have to jump through this semester 4 and 5 hoop to get to it, but in all honesty would you reccomend somone to come to AUA. I would never tell anyone to go to the caribbean school i attended, it was a school that just grabbed money from students and honestly did not care bout their students, and i really dont want to fall a victim into that trap again.

thank you your time

determinedtobedoc
10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I am med2/3 and I am a transfer from another carib school. I can only tell you from my experience that I love the teachers. I have never had such wonderful teachers. They really drive the point across. I can only comment on the path teacher that he is an MBBS from India but he is very experienced. His class is fun. About usmle I have no clue if i am prepared or not. On the basis of teachers i would recommend this school to anyone.

rahulb
10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
DONT DO IT MAn

kns1
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
DONT DO IT MAn

Thanks, as much as I appreciate your response, I would like a little bit more feedback. :)

modern day Hero
10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
did you take shelf exams for pharm and path in your other medical school?
if so, what were your scores like?
if not, I'd only go to the island if path was still taught by dr. K****a, he's exceptional and it'll make your path foundation solid.
personally, taking a pharm course again from anywhere isn't conducive since you have to memorize it on your own anyways.

On the flipside, it may not be worth to take 2 courses for 10-grand tuition and extra time on island. I'm not sure if you're borderline in those subjects or extremely weak so some kind of objective score would help.

You could ask the school admin if you can sit for the comp exam which is offered on october 31st and see how you do and then base your decision on that.

kns1
10-28-2008, 09:09 AM
hey, well i didnt take any comps/shelfs at my old school,because it wasnt offered, but I did take step 1, and unfortunately i didnt pass (181) :(
But I was accepted on the basis that I get a 60% or better on the comp, i think i'll be able to blow that away, since even though I didnt pass Step on my first try I was very close.

DOC.p
10-28-2008, 10:01 AM
just keep in mind, a 64 on the shelf is an equivalent to a pass (185 on the USMLE)

modern day Hero
10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
hey, well i didnt take any comps/shelfs at my old school,because it wasnt offered, but I did take step 1, and unfortunately i didnt pass (181) :(
But I was accepted on the basis that I get a 60% or better on the comp, i think i'll be able to blow that away, since even though I didnt pass Step on my first try I was very close.

on your step1 breakdown how were your path/pharm performances?

nonetheless, it seems like you're close to passing on step1 and going by doc's post it means you're close to a 64 on comp. thats better than most students in 5th semester right now that didn't pass (i.e. get a 58).

taking all that into account, i wouldn't go to the island. go to 5th.

kns1
11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
i did alright i guess, nothing to toot bout. pharm and path had line that went throught he "borderline performance" on each side. So i guess, i dont suck at it, nor am i exceptionally smart in those diciplines.

Agraphia
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
haha. the school just wants you to shell out some more money.

CSIMED
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
KNS1,

as far as education is concerned in the 4th semester, this school is great. The teachers are friendly, very knowlegeble and really focus the the important material for the shelfs and the step.

as far as the rest the school is concerned, this place is a rip off. The only reason they want you to come to this island is to suck and extra 11,000$ out of you for 4th, plus another 11,000$ for 5th. As I was told by someone in administration, "this place is a business first, then a medical school". They have absolutely no loans company that you can borrow money with except for ED Invest which they own, and determine who is qualified to get funds, and then collect on the interest rate when your paying back. My advise to you in take the step again pass it and then transfer to a "real" school for clinicals. Don't waste you time or money here.

Compassion MD
11-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Kns1,

If your school isn't NY approved. Are you still allowed to do clinical rotation in NY if you transfer to AUA? What about getting a residency in NY? Because I thought it is based on where you started your basic science.

Hello all
I actually finished my basic science from another carib med school, but wanted to do my clinicals in AUA because my school isnt NY approved.

DOC.p
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
KNS1,

as far as education is concerned in the 4th semester, this school is great. The teachers are friendly, very knowlegeble and really focus the the important material for the shelfs and the step.

as far as the rest the school is concerned, this place is a rip off. The only reason they want you to come to this island is to suck and extra 11,000$ out of you for 4th, plus another 11,000$ for 5th. As I was told by someone in administration, "this place is a business first, then a medical school". They have absolutely no loans company that you can borrow money with except for ED Invest which they own, and determine who is qualified to get funds, and then collect on the interest rate when your paying back. My advise to you in take the step again pass it and then transfer to a "real" school for clinicals. Don't waste you time or money here.
the school owns Ed Invest? i think you're very much mistaken

CSIMED
11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
hey DOC,

that was told to me by and administrator from NY who is high up in the chain of command, and thats one of the main reasons why they are not looking for another lender.

DOC.p
11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
if that were true, then why are they always so unsure whether Ed Invest will be around the next semester? i remember when we first started Ed Invest, i called them after receiving my loan from them to try to set things up with them in the future and they were unsure whether they were going to loan to AUA again after that semester.

also i requested for more money, which Ed Invest would have gladly gave me but the school would not authorize it. it's those things that make it seem like they are entirely different entities. unless Tipton can confirm otherwise :)

islandthrift
11-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Don't forget, Ed Invest lends to other Carib schools too.

shayloure
11-04-2008, 09:49 PM
The old financial aid guy told me that the money somehow that we get from Richland Loan Procesing is some how recycled back to AUA. We talked about this back in June so I don't remember all of the intricate details but that was the jist of it. But I do wonder, how many loan companies have different requirements in the summer than in the fall like Ed Invest.

md12886
11-05-2008, 06:47 AM
why is the processing fee so high ? its almost 10 %, do you think aua and edinvest splits that into 50 %....its insane to charge us about $2k for sending one email that says "thank you, u were approved!!!"

I dont think that aua owns ed-invest, even if they were, y would they lend money to smu, mua n saba? may be tipton needs to open bit more about inside information besides only responding to admission questions lol...

GQDoc786
11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
So is it easy to get accepted into AUA as a transfer student from another Medical school, lets say St. Martinus? As long as you have a decent GPA? Do they then only look at your basic science gpa? or undergrad

wildroc18
12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
yea sounds like there are some hoops AUA is putting you through.. it seems that they know you will benifit from coming to AUA fromt he school you were at before.. and if you have to jump through some hoops retake a couple classes and en up scoring a 220? whats another 20 thousand dollars in retrospect you know? you have to chalk it up and put it on the running tab...

im currently med !! and can only speak about how well i was prepared for the shelves my first semester.... i was a chemistry major and hadn't seen much cell bio and ended up doing about a standard deviation better than the pass rate in histo... i was extremely impressed not only in myself but in how well the school had prepared me...

MDinTraining
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
This sounds like MUA. The dean at MUA makes it seems like Ed Invest IS the only loan company that exclusively loan to MUA students because he always said how hard the owners are looking for loans for us and that we are the very few or even the only caribbean school that have private loans in this economy. This is really awakening for me!!! thanks guys!!!

KNS1,

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.