PDA

View Full Version : Poor grammar, spelling

jp9094
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Dear all,

I find it very annoying when I read posts on this forum that contain poor, non existant grammar and spelling. If you are going to take the time to post here, spend a little time to proof read what you have written.

Especially irksome is medical terminology misspelled. Intubate, not 'intabate', for example.

Another source of irritation is trying to use 'big' words, that one is not familiar with, to make ones writing seem more 'weighty' . An example is the recent email from an SGA 'mandarin' which stated "In lieu of the bad weather", which when analysed, is totally meaningless. Like Hemingway, simple declarative sentences are best for conveying information.

Consider, when it comes time to apply for residencies, etc, what your poorly spelled, badly constructed essay, conveys to the program director. Take the time to proof read and spell check please.

To summarise, use the K.I.S.S. rule, keep it simple,stupid!

FWIW!

DrSpeaksSoftly
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
non existant grammar and spelling

*cough* existent *cough* Sorry I couldn't resist. :p But I agree with what you are saying. I find the slang/text style of writing very irritating and really unbecoming of future doctors. However, I am willing to forgive honest mistakes in spelling and grammar as I am not exactly perfect in this respect.

DOC.p
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
who cares, i don't capitalize every sentence i write on here....and sometimes i use a lot of periods.

that's how forums are, it doesn't have to be all "proper English".

NWS
10-16-2008, 02:05 PM
who cares, i don't capitalize every sentence i write on here....and sometimes i use a lot of periods.

that's how forums are, it doesn't have to be all "proper English".

No dude, you're wrong. Forums like this should issue infractions to any member that misspells a word or puts a period where a comma belongs - any less would be a disservice to the medical profession!!!! <---I should get an infraction for too many exclamation marks........... <---crap here's another.....ok i'll stop now......

devildoc8404
10-16-2008, 02:22 PM
How nit-picky should we expect things to become in this sort of forum?

I mean, hey, the OP failed to place a period after the abbreviation "etc" and is missing hyphens all over the doggone place... plus the aforementioned "existant" spelling gaffe. In addition, there were several cases where punctuation was placed OUTSIDE of the quotation marks! Honestly, the nerve!

I'm really not trying to be a dork, here... I'm just pointing out the irony.

Grammar police have their place, I guess, and I will admit to finding some VMD posts incredibly unprofessional for someone who professes a desire to become a physician. On the other hand, these aren't essays, they are blog postings. All in all, it's probably easier to find other things to worry about.

DOC.p
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
honestly, if you've ever been on another forum before, you'll see that the same thing....it's just an internet forum, there is no need to be proper. this has nothing to do with the way you may write as a professional.

i'd love to give you a list of forums that i'm also active on and you can post how everyone should check their grammar and spelling before posting and see how well that goes over.

rahulb
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
the internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS

sias
10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I have been meaning to make this same post for some time. Simple grammar mistakes are not a huge deal, but there are people on this forum who just do not seem to have a decent understanding of the english language. Really, it's a shame, you people are in medical school, you should all a college level education and thus should be able to write a coherent sentence.

Go look at the law boards, people there know how to write.

Doc2013
10-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Dear all,

I find it very annoying when I read posts on this forum that contain poor, non existant grammar and spelling. If you are going to take the time to post here, spend a little time to proofread what you have written.

Especially irksome is medical terminology misspelled (Incomplete sentence/Phrase). Intubate, not 'intabate', for example.

Another source of irritation is trying to use 'big' words, that one is not familiar with, to make one's writing seem more 'weighty' . An example is the recent email from an SGA 'mandarin' which stated, "In lieu of the bad weather", which when analysed, is totally meaningless. Like Hemingway, simple declarative sentences are best for conveying information.

Consider, when it comes time to apply for residencies, etc, [unnecessary use of 'etc.' here] what your poorly spelled and badly constructed essay, conveys to the program director. Take the time to proof read and spell check please.

To summarise, use the K.I.S.S. rule, keep it simple,[insert 'space'] stupid!

FWIW!

I highly doubt that those who write essays for academic/professional purposes will just slack off when their life depends on it. An internet forum is not a good place to judge people's character, grammar, spelling, etc.

:roll: Chill, man!

devildoc8404
10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
1234567890:roll:

TireTrauma
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey JP, let it go bro. Is this really worth posting about? I mean, for real, do something constructive with your time and posts. JMO tho.

FutureDoc86
10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I agree with you JP. I think we as medical students should present ourselves as professional as possible, whether it be in the way we dress, the way we speak or the way we write. However that is not to say that the people who don't take the time to correct their grammatical errors are unprofessional, I guess just a bit lazy, or tired, as medical school often makes us.

Agraphia
10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
this thread is stupid

desiraju01
10-18-2008, 01:03 PM
chill bruh!! iT's Ok. InTeRnET r a serz biznas! i dun kare wha ya do wit the grammas! iT's juSt a 4rum! ;)

drforlife
10-19-2008, 01:06 PM
lol .. that's torture.

RajivPatel
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
this thread is stupid

agreid.. stop waisting time and study.. we r in med sckhool.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.