PDA

View Full Version : Taking notes in class and few other things

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I want to know few things:

1. how are notes being distributed in class? do we use powerpoints? do students write down notes?

2. are notes from professors being distributed to class so everyone can follow (my professor provide notes to class so we do not have to write them down and it compliments the powerpoint lectures)

3. if i pay you monthly to write good notes for me so i do not have to write notes down, will you do it? how much you think its fair for me to pay u monthly? (general poll. i am hearing-impaired, so i sucks at writing notes while listening..i use this service provided by my university in which they pay the students for the service..since this type of service is not available on AUA..i will take it up and pay you..i just want to know if this can be done or not)

so please dont flame and kindly help me make things possible in near future. thank you :)

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
16 views?

come on, someone please chime in! thanks!

Tipton
10-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Avez patience sil vous plait.

They're in class.

irishdoc2005
10-14-2008, 01:20 PM

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
thanks tipton and irishdoc

im sure they will be more accomodating..but i just need to get my base covered.

if i ask a student or a friend if i can make copy of his note and whatnot, it would seem that i am freeloading off him. of course, if i explain my situation than it would be more understandable.

i would have to be responsible for making sure i get the notes. it is not easy for a hearing-impaired student to be studying medicine, and this is a new challenge for me. so that is why i must try and get my base covered.

if such situation arise where i have to pay the student to write notes for me, at what price monthly do you think it's "fair"?

but i'll have to find out until i get to college..so we'll shall c! ;)

md12886
10-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I want to know few things:

1. how are notes being distributed in class? do we use powerpoints? do students write down notes?

2. are notes from professors being distributed to class so everyone can follow (my professor provide notes to class so we do not have to write them down and it compliments the powerpoint lectures)

3. if i pay you monthly to write good notes for me so i do not have to write notes down, will you do it? how much you think its fair for me to pay u monthly? (general poll. i am hearing-impaired, so i sucks at writing notes while listening..i use this service provided by my university in which they pay the students for the service..since this type of service is not available on AUA..i will take it up and pay you..i just want to know if this can be done or not)

so please dont flame and kindly help me make things possible in near future. thank you :)

1. no notes, all powerpoints.
2. no notes again!
3. this is not undergrad school. lectures goes very fast, sometimes 50 slides per hour sometimes 110 slides per hour. not eveybody writes down every single word what the proff says. also, this is med school, dont expect your proff to slow down n explain u the structure of amino acid. they expect that you know all the terms from ur undergrad, all they do is flip thru the powerpoint in an hr. even if someone would write notes for u, I wouldn't trust him or her unless they put down every single word what proff says. there are notes available for few classes like immuno, neuro and physio. u can get them from upper med class. but again, I would be very cautious at using them...hope this helps!

Doc2013
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
How about recording the lectures? Is it useful to do so?

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
1. no notes, all powerpoints.
2. no notes again!
3. this is not undergrad school. lectures goes very fast, sometimes 50 slides per hour sometimes 110 slides per hour. not eveybody writes down every single word what the proff says. also, this is med school, dont expect your proff to slow down n explain u the structure of amino acid. they expect that you know all the terms from ur undergrad, all they do is flip thru the powerpoint in an hr. even if someone would write notes for u, I wouldn't trust him or her unless they put down every single word what proff says. there are notes available for few classes like immuno, neuro and physio. u can get them from upper med class. but again, I would be very cautious at using them...hope this helps!

hmm, i'll have to find other means of obtaining notes....else i'll just stick to the book and try to understand everything...

how do you learn or understand stuff if professors dont emphasized more on subjects...i know we have to know them or be familiar with it in undergrad without being able to write notes down..

hmm..i'll use the roadmap (by the way...is the ROADMAP updated?)

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
How about recording the lectures? Is it useful to do so?

not for me, i am hearing-impaired so i cant really understand lectures on audio...doesnt really benefits me..:roll:

drforlife
10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I would suggest review books, and many notes that might be online.... I'm sure at least one person in class gets pretty much all in notes or at ppt note section.. so you can ask around and find that person.... when time comes, I can e-mail you some material might be beneficial.... but it's just so much stuff you wouldn't have time.... :rolleyes:

desiraju01
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
wow thanks for the info :)

i'd appreciate it. and ya, when that time comes around..i'll be able to figure out ..just trying to clear up some doubts at the moment..but thanks :)

SemTuv
10-14-2008, 05:06 PM
i am hearing-impaired, so i sucks at writing notes while listening..i use this service provided by my university in which they pay the students for the service..since this type of service is not available on AUA..i will take it up and pay you..i just want to know if this can be done or not)

Contact IT department at your school, if they can help you to find a program for your laptop that transcribes /converts audios into written form. As far as I know it was done in the past by some lazy students. This way you will go to lectures, record it and convert into written format by yourself. Try to use it in your undergrad classes now, so you will know for sure if it works for you in terms of quality,convenience. Just keep in mind that in any given lecture you might be surrounded by classmates who talk next to you giving you extra noise on recording, or pronunciation, especially with overload of med terms. It is very difficult to find a students who satisfy all you need: going to every lecture that you go and make really good notes and are willing to share it, and for every semester you are on the island. Good Luck

desiraju01
10-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Contact IT department at your school, if they can help you to find a program for your laptop that transcribes /converts audios into written form. As far as I know it was done in the past by some lazy students. This way you will go to lectures, record it and convert into written format by yourself. Try to use it in your undergrad classes now, so you will know for sure if it works for you in terms of quality,convenience. Just keep in mind that in any given lecture you might be surrounded by classmates who talk next to you giving you extra noise on recording, or pronunciation, especially with overload of med terms. It is very difficult to find a students who satisfy all you need: going to every lecture that you go and make really good notes and are willing to share it, and for every semester you are on the island. Good Luck

lol..i knew someone would say something like this...in fact, i have been looking for such programs for long time.

perhaps you know something that i do not?? ;)...care to tell me what program that can do this?

i found some programs but they have their own drawbacks..you have to teach them to recognize your voice and go through a little bit of a training and then when you talk, it will transcribe it to text.

now i do not know if professors are willing to take time out of their busy schedule to go through this bit of a training...i know some professors are visiting professors.

but hey, im open to all options and don't let my experience in searching for such program discourage you.

as this is a valuable information, please do share what you know.

Thanks! :)

desiraju01
10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
oh, i know about the naturallyspeaking program

FutureDoc86
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
the only classes I took notes for are Histo, Neuro, and Behavioral block. For everything else, there's powerpoints. Don't worry, sometimes it's better not hearing things around here anyway...

rahulb
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
get a hearing aid?

i took notes for neuroscience
Index of /med/rahul_neuro_notes (http://auadoc.com/med/rahul_neuro_notes/)

you can get notes from anyone. i always share if someone asks.

californiabliss
10-16-2008, 12:00 AM
-----------------------------

desiraju01
10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
get a hearing aid?

i took notes for neuroscience
Index of /med/rahul_neuro_notes (http://auadoc.com/med/rahul_neuro_notes/)

you can get notes from anyone. i always share if someone asks.

um, i do have hearing-aids :rolleyes: fyi, most hearing-impaired people have hearing aids.

i do not do sign language or anything. i just talk normally and do things like u do. just giving u a picture.

but thanks for the notes! :) really helpful..i saved them in my computer for future uses.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.