PDA

View Full Version : Considering Jan 09, ?'s

TireTrauma
09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey all,

I just went to an information session in Atlanta. I was very impressed and I am now stuck with some decisions, so I figured I would post up some questions to get some unbiased <hopes> feedback.

1.) What is the point of the 5th semester...really? It seems to me it is just fill, do you actually do anything? I mean can you when you didnt pass step 1 yet??

2.) They mentioned the shelf exams. How did everyone do on them and are they a good indicator?

3.) I am getting the impression that most do not pass every class? Is this true and if so why do you think so? Is this like this in US schools?

4.) I was told there is a lot of problem based learning. Can you explain?

5.) Lastly, is this a better option then hitting a post bac program and re-taking my mcat? My GPA is 3.25...I would go DO.

Thanks all!!!

Phrozen
09-24-2008, 11:52 PM
What's your MCAT currently and science GPA?

DOC.p
09-25-2008, 06:15 AM
5th semester is an introduction to clinical medicine. we do some of it on the island in DPS and ICM but you are back in the states this time. it is also supposed to hold the purpose of a USMLE review although we are in a transitional semester and next semester's class will have more of opportunity to review. i have a lot of free time so i review on my own.

can we actually do anything...well what do you want to do? you're a medical student, you can't start chopping away at a patient or give a pelvic exam when you've only read about it in books. there is a lot of hands on though, the clinic that i'm in right now, while the doctor is seeing the other patients, i have to go in and take a proper history and vitals and then report this to him before he goes into the room. that is the really important aspect of the semester is being able to take a history, take vitals and do a physical examination.

you may learn other procedures or tests along the way and participate in others but mainly you're there to observe.

TireTrauma
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
What's your MCAT currently and science GPA?
My mcat is garbage. I took it without having physics or organic. My science GPa is about a 3.0 Im confident I could get into a post bac program and retake the mcat and hopefully get into us med school but that is a whole year, more money and again Im not really into taking the mcat again and studying that. It seems pointless at this time...for me at least.

5th semester is an introduction to clinical medicine. we do some of it on the island in DPS and ICM but you are back in the states this time. it is also supposed to hold the purpose of a USMLE review although we are in a transitional semester and next semester's class will have more of opportunity to review. i have a lot of free time so i review on my own.

can we actually do anything...well what do you want to do? you're a medical student, you can't start chopping away at a patient or give a pelvic exam when you've only read about it in books. there is a lot of hands on though, the clinic that i'm in right now, while the doctor is seeing the other patients, i have to go in and take a proper history and vitals and then report this to him before he goes into the room. that is the really important aspect of the semester is being able to take a history, take vitals and do a physical examination.

you may learn other procedures or tests along the way and participate in others but mainly you're there to observe.

Ok, so isnt this what you do during your time on the island...ie the interactive hospital experience they boast about?? I appreciate your answer...can you help with the others??

irishdoc2005
09-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Cyberia
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes..in first semester due to the number of students, you go to the hospital once..for a total of 2 hours.

DOC.p
09-25-2008, 07:23 PM
first semester is pretty much useless, 4th semester ICM is better but this semester in Miami, i've been learning a lot.

BrazilianDoc
09-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Take advantage of 4th sem. patients.. that come in.. and on 5th.. see how much you know.....

TireTrauma
09-26-2008, 01:06 AM
The interactive hospital thing is a joke. If that is the reason you are thinking about AUA, then I would think again. I remember when I went to the hospital I sat outside for two hours because the doctor didnt want to deal with that many students. Plus this hospital here is a scary site. I mean each semester gets larger and larger, but the hospital is so small here that you really dont do much. I think the students in first semester now get to go once. Im not 100% on that, but I went three times and we had about 120 students. With your grades I would consider retaking the MCAT again, and then go the D.O. route or post-bac. If you have the chance to go to a US school, I would take it.

So you wouldnt go carib?? Seems to me that it is a viable solution and gets the job done. I want to take the USMLE, pass it and start clinicals. I was planning on setting up my own as I have some good connections at a hospital in Pittsburgh. Anyway, I figured this would be the best, fastest and least expensive way to go. I want to be an ER doc if that is pertinent.

I just cant see re-studying things that I am not going to be focussing on after the mcat. I mean, that test sucks!!! I appreciate your feedback!! Thanks

DOC.p
09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I was planning on setting up my own as I have some good connections at a hospital in Pittsburgh
you most likely won't be able to set up your own rotations outside of electives. also Caribbean med students cannot do rotations in Pennsylvania.

irishdoc2005
09-26-2008, 12:27 PM

TireTrauma
09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
you most likely won't be able to set up your own rotations outside of electives. also Caribbean med students cannot do rotations in Pennsylvania.

Why cant they?? I know Ross has them set up at AGH in Pittsburgh. I even know some of the people there.

TireTrauma
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Well I suppose i would go because I am here, but in your situation I would at least strongly consider retaking the MCAT. Your road is so much easier aside from the schoolwork. Its the same information across the board, but dealing with a country that has no real rules or ambition, poor loan situation, and then licensing issues when you get out, could easily be avoided by getting into a US school. I mean ultimately the decision is up to you, but if I could do it all over again, I would have probably gone the masters route and then retake the MCAT and hope for a US school.

I appreciate your imput and advice!! Thanks!!!

I do have to tell you though, I HATE THE MCAT! I really do not want to take it again. I did however apply to SABA today. I called them and spoke to an admissions rep as well as the district or regional director. I told them everything, we even went online to view my transcripts and he seemed very promissing.

I still havent had a call back from my admissions advisor so Ive pretty much written her off. If the school is anything like the new york people, I will grin and bear the MCAT one more time...

islandthrift
09-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Why cant they?? I know Ross has them set up at AGH in Pittsburgh. I even know some of the people there.

Most hospitals won't take outside students for core rotations and most states have rules like you can only do x amount of time in a non affiliated hospital. For example, for license in NY you can only have up to 12 weeks of rotations not affiliated with your med school.

DOC.p
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
where? here's Ross's list: .: Ross University:. University Administration (http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/academics/hospital.cfm)

here's SGU's: Affiliated Hospitals - School of Medicine - St. George&rsquo;s University (http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/affiliated-hospitals.html)

no Pennsylvania, maybe they knew someone and were able to do some elective there but in general, Caribbean students cannot do rotations in Pennsylvania.

DOC.p
09-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Most hospitals won't take outside students for core rotations and most states have rules like you can only do x amount of time in a non affiliated hospital. For example, for license in NY you can only have up to 12 weeks of rotations not affiliated with your med school.
this is very true, you have to very careful when you get to clinicals and make sure you're following state licensure laws.

TireTrauma
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
WOW! I see what your saying, but I swear she did her clinicals at AGH in Pittsburgh PA. I will find out more. She graduated from Ross and is now in her 3rd year of residency in Virginia. Ill get a hold of her to see exactly what the deal was.

When I was at the latest info session they told us we could set up clinicals anywhere as long as it was an approved teaching hospital. Is this true?? If so can I set it up in Pennsylvania? This is about as confusing as it can get. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

DOC.p
09-27-2008, 09:33 AM
WOW! I see what your saying, but I swear she did her clinicals at AGH in Pittsburgh PA. I will find out more. She graduated from Ross and is now in her 3rd year of residency in Virginia. Ill get a hold of her to see exactly what the deal was.

When I was at the latest info session they told us we could set up clinicals anywhere as long as it was an approved teaching hospital. Is this true?? If so can I set it up in Pennsylvania? This is about as confusing as it can get. Thanks in advance for the help!!!
maybe they mean out of their affiliated hospitals. but yeah like thrifty said, only up to 12 weeks you can set up outside of what your school is affiliated with. again, you most likely will not be able to do your cores in Pennsylvania and MAY be able to do an elective, but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

TireTrauma
09-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I got ya!!! Thanks both of you!!!

StudentGirl
09-28-2008, 10:04 PM

TireTrauma
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I went to the information session in Tampa in November, I was really impressed too.

I'm applying for Jan 09 PreMed.

There was a girl in my info session that got accepted to the premed program. She went and saw the campus and everything. She really liked it and was excited!

I got a call today telling me that I will be getting a call about my admission so Im keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully see ya there!

Good luck!

StudentGirl
09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks, good luck to you too. :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.