PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on 1st Semester Basic Science Students

carlosmdiaz
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
O.K so I will post up as many updates as I can in order to help incoming freshmen know more about AUA before they come to the island.

You will hear a lot of complaints from current students, and they are justifiable complaints since some students were not really told anything about the island and only shown great pictures during orientation. However, for the most part things here are o.k with the teachers, staff and students ... everyone is willing to help everyone and that makes AUA great.

However, I am dissapointed with the AUA administration. My room mate is a 2nd semester student who was forced to go back to the U.S because AUA admin. messed up his loan application, so please becareful when applying.

Also, we do not have fresh bodies for Anatomy lab, 3-4 classes must share ONE cadaver used by last years students... which sucks big time. What is AUA doing with all the money it's making? I heard 300 plus students were on the island and they are paying $13000 a semester (you do the math).

Once again, the professors are doing an o.k job ... could be better, but the student body makes up for what the professors lack, they are awesome in helping the newcomers adjust and know what to study for ... however, the adminstration sucks big time.

siheg
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Thats too bad about the cadaver.

Dhavalp
09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Hopefully things will get better by the time I get to basic sciences haha

Agraphia
09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
one cadaver? that sucks! there are a couple of web sites that have fresh cadavers that you can point click and learn the structures. I never went to anatomy lab and it worked for me. Just make sure to go see the actual lab cadaver at school 2 days before the exam so that you can see what the structures look like on that cadaver.

DOC.p
09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
probably stuck in customs, i remember when i first started, i think we had two and then 5 or more came in at the middle of the semester

Cyberia
09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
The prof's said the NY office has promised them more cadavers this semester...of course they could have antiguans working in the ny office now..which means in december we'll actually GET the cadavers..but you never know. I'd also like to see the customs agent who has to "inspect" the cadaver..haha..serves them right for going through my things looking for illegal granola bars...

md12886
09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
last sem, we had 8-9 fresh cadavers and 10-12 students per group. each group had its own cadaver and we were even allowed to do dissections. at the end of sem, we heard, the bodies for next sem might be delayed so we kinda preserve little bit for you guys lol....at the end all i can say, starting may sem for me was much better than fall sem, bigger class n no bodies....sucks!!!

mrpark01
09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
also realize that cadavers are a privilege..
it might not be a financial issue at all.
i don't think many caribb schools even have cadavers.

ccxc03
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
1 cadaver? There are 7. During the Lab sessions, the T.A.'s generally take their group to only 1 body. If you want to study from the others, stay after class or come at any point of the day and go to work. Me and a group start on one end and identify everything visible, and then move to the next. They are there if you want them, be independent and check them out. Nobody will hold your hand and move from one cadaver to the next. Everything in that lab is available to the students from the time it is open until the time it is closed.

so1
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Just to add another note to carlosmdiaz 's post. They did not hold true to their 5-6 student to cadaver ratio. Instead, AUA holds an unsatisfactory anatomy faculty to student group ratio.

TireTrauma
09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Anymore updates?? This is great stuff!!!

mrpark01
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Anymore updates?? This is great stuff!!!
exams are coming up. give it a week or two.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.