PDA

View Full Version : did AUA apply for cali or its just a rumor?

thesurgeon1
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
did aua apply for cali or this is just a rumor? curious....

how long would it take them to find out?

DOC.p
09-18-2008, 04:04 PM
yes, the application and self evaluation were sent in some time ago...how long will it take to get a decision? - years

NicSTX
09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
i still don't believe it. Cali needs MCAT scores - or so i've been told - i hope we haven't applied yet...

DOC.p
09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
i still don't believe it. Cali needs MCAT scores - or so i've been told - i hope we haven't applied yet...
i've heard that too, we did...who knows???

Kronos
09-22-2008, 12:20 PM
can't aua just start requiring mcat scores to satisfy the cali requirement?

determinedtobedoc
09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Saba is cali approved but they don't require MCAT. I don't think it has anything to do with MCAT.

siheg
09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I get the sense that AUA needs to be a bit more proactive on this issue.

gaspass
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Perhaps they should get the new campus built first. Its been nothing but metal and cinder blocks for months, and the classrooms they use are still too small to hold the entire class. Going too slow, even for the Caribbean.

sai213
09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Are there classes going on at the new campus? When I was there med 4 and med 2 was in the campus.

Buddha1004
09-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I believe the students need to be more proactive in getting approval for Cali. For those from Cali, get in contact with your Congressmen and Senators to help push this issue. Maybe with enough pressure, we can speed this along.
Also, remember that it is an election year ;)

Kronos
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah i'm sure the approval of a caribbean school is the first thing on these senators' minds nowadays...

NWS
09-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I believe the students need to be more proactive in getting approval for Cali. For those from Cali, get in contact with your Congressmen and Senators to help push this issue. Maybe with enough pressure, we can speed this along.
Also, remember that it is an election year ;)

I don't think Cali approval will come from me writing my representative. AUA just needs to do what every other lobby does: pour a ton of $ into the coffers of Cali politicians.

Shiz77
09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I heard Poznan university in Poland got full retroactive approval from cali, any idea why the polish schools would get such a thing and not the caribs?

islandthrift
09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I heard Poznan university in Poland got full retroactive approval from cali, any idea why the polish schools would get such a thing and not the caribs?

It has something to do with the rules of Cali. I personally don't think the rules make sense but nothing we can really do about it...

Kronos
09-25-2008, 11:45 AM
The Poznan school's native medicine program already had approval for a while. It is a well established foreign school. The retroactive approval has to do with their English language program, which had to be reviewed by Cali to make sure it was comparable to the native program. I expect that since the quality is the same they approved it retroactively.

I highly doubt AUA or SMU can compete with that.

sai213
09-25-2008, 12:37 PM
yeah i'm sure the approval of a caribbean school is the first thing on these senators' minds nowadays...

Too funny LOL

BrazilianDoc
09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I believe the process is directly with the Medical Board of California - They will see that AUA never had or did mistakes like SMU did on the past and it is a serious and strong medical education institution that will provide top notch doctors to the people of California !!!

Kronos
09-25-2008, 11:38 PM
c'mon everyone knows the reality of these schools and what kind of docs they produce on average... its just a matter of jumping through hoops, whatever hoops that the cali board puts up for you

BrazilianDoc
09-25-2008, 11:42 PM
that's it !!! it is clear that an AUA trained doctor, specially with the great 5th sem ( many say too much exposure not enough review ) ... and entire clinicals in american hospitals are better off than at least 90 % of the FMG that aplly for a cali license, I would say....

Kronos
09-25-2008, 11:55 PM
cali already restricts who can apply for their license... so they have a high quality FMG pool already. AUA is at the bottom of that if you consider all the requirements that CA has. it just will not be easy to get that approval. the school better have all its ducks in a row before applying

BrazilianDoc
09-26-2008, 12:02 AM
word. I know they are aware of that.... Hopefully can be speed up , but the new campus need to be ready... I was refering to FMG overall and Cali has tons of international graduates.. the requirements and the approval process are focused on international schools where majority of the students are US citizens.. so that was my point...

sai213
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I think cali also see how many of the accepted students have cGPA above 3.0, coz i was reading the report from cali about SMU. They stated that SMU had accepted students with cGPA way below 3.0

irishdoc2005
09-28-2008, 11:38 AM

sai213
09-28-2008, 02:03 PM
yeah you are right. We had 2 orgo profs in my school who had 2 diff passing scores, one had easier exams and lower passing, unfortunately i feel on the wrong end which cost me alot. I was unfortunate for both Org 1 and 2 beat that huh...
Cali seem to look at USMLE passing %, no. of graduates, those who are in residen. and so on. Seems like they are interested to know if the school is doing research of any kind.

md12886
09-28-2008, 02:16 PM
attrition rates are also factor.

from SABA report:

"The report states about the SUSM environment, "the overall academic environment seems quite rich." The inspection team was impressed with the maturity and enthusiasm displayed by the students they met with and SUSM's low attrition rate of about 4%."

if you read their SMU report, they didn't like the fact that they had high professor attrition rates, only 2 students completed their residencies, students did not know what were the terms of their loans (that was funny..lol), admission criteria were low (they even mentioned some students just came coz they did not had high gpa or never took mcats)....and the list goes on n on.....offcourse the research was heavily emphasized in their report. they were impressed by the owner's ability to attract student (typical carribean med school trend of making loads of money).

Shiz77
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
When will AUA receive news on Cali? I hope you guys get it!

islandthrift
09-28-2008, 03:04 PM
When will AUA receive news on Cali? I hope you guys get it!

Since AUA just applied a few months ago, it will probably be a few years before we know if we have Cali approval or not.

sai213
09-28-2008, 08:45 PM
hopefully by then the new campus will be done!!

drforlife
09-29-2008, 01:55 AM
yeah you are right. We had 2 orgo profs in my school who had 2 diff passing scores, one had easier exams and lower passing, unfortunately i feel on the wrong end which cost me alot. I was unfortunate for both Org 1 and 2 beat that huh...
Cali seem to look at USMLE passing %, no. of graduates, those who are in residen. and so on. Seems like they are interested to know if the school is doing research of any kind.

Yeahp.. and AUA started with research long time ago..I have helped on couple of them... and I imagine it is increasing as it was one of dr.B's focus.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.