PDA

View Full Version : Basic Science Advice Thread

Agraphia
09-12-2008, 03:05 AM
Ok for med 1
Anatomy-Just read BRS and the netter flash cards. Then do the BRS questions and Michigan anatomy questions.
Histo- Just read USMLE road map and study the pics in the required text. This course is easy
DPS- Just have a pulse and you'll pass

2nd:
Biochem- read the last review page of each chapter of lippo and memorize every diagram. Read BRS as well. Then go do BRS questions and pre-test questions which are very similar to Dr. L's questions. No reason to get below a B in the course and 64 shelf. Oh and last, open your 1st page in first aid 2008 of the biochem section (pg92) and there is a whole page of diagram of biochem metabolism...memorize this, and I mean MEMORIZE IT! Know which steps require ATP which steps give off ATP etc. know every little detail. Take 10 minutes of everyday and write this thing down on paper until you can write it without having to look at first aid. This is very important! I think you can get above a 58 on shelf just by knowing this page alone. Dr. L loves to ask detailed questions about this stuff as well. everyday everyday, it only takes 10 minutes so no excuses.
Genetic-This course sucks. Just read the book and try and do Kaplan questions for the final. This course was one of 2 Cs I got in basic sciences.
Physio-Read the BRS book and the BRS cases book which no one really gets. Dont memorize but try and understand the concepts. Then go and do pre-test questions. Course isnt as hard as everyone makes it. The key is to do lots of questions and apply the info you read.
Neuro- I thought USMLE roadmap was good. I would also use Matt's notes. He is a smart kid so his notes should be more than enough. Dr. G is a really good prof as well.

3rd:
Micro-Get "Microcards" by Sanjiv Harpavat and memorize these suckers. Make it a point to go over at least 30 cards a day. Also know the trees on the front of these cards cold. In order to get above a 64 on shelf you need to know that for alot of lab stuff, for example: Papillomavirus is icosahedral, non-enveloped, double strand circular, papovaviridae family. All this info is on the front card of the gram +, gram -, dna, rna section on these cards. You'll see if you get them. I swear that you will score above a 60% on shelf just by knowing these trees alone. Shelf loves to ask whether a virus ids double, single strand? whether the virus is dna or rna etc. so again take 15 minutes of everyday and write out these trees till you can write them without looking at the cards. You should start this process the first week of school and do it till the course ends. everyday everyday. As a matter of fact, since attendance was required for micro, thats all I did when I went to class... I would write out these trees. BRS is really good also. Then last, skim through the slides for extra info that may not be in the book. Class isnt as hard as everyone makes it out to be.
Path- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ ROBBINS. Just read BRS and skim over Goljan rapid review. Then make sure and go do the path slides on webpath, then do the webpath questions twice. Kep redoing webpath and robbins questions till your scoring at least 85%. Webpath should be your bible. Also, go over all the pics in robbins.
Behavior- Read BRS.
Immuno- BRS and first aid. go over slides just to make sure your not missing anything. I took this course during block and got a C so I cant really give good advice on the course.

4th: BY NOW YOU SHOULD GET THE YEAR LONG SUBSCRIPTION TO USMLEWORLD. You need it for the step so might as well get them by 4th. They are the best practice for 4th and you will not get below a B in any 4th semi course if you do these questions during 4th. ITS ALL ABOUT THE QUESTIONS!
Path 2-Go over Dr. K slides and webpath. BRS is really good! You MUST get Lange path flashcards as well. They are awesome and great for review. If you want an A in the course, you need to get the cards. Dr. K's slides are the only prof's slides that Id recommend to read. Most of the other prof's slides at AUA suck period. Dr. K knows his path and you can trust his slides. It also doesnt hurt to do robbins questions. Oh yeah, and go over all the pics and diagrams in robbins. Also rapid review Goljan. Path is the backbone of medicine so there is never "too many" books to read.
ICM- I heard Dr. F is in charge of ICM now.... haha, she sucks. Anyways, those lange flashcards are money for ICM. Trust me. Also, go over first aid organs which is the 2nd half of the book. Pre-test pathophysio are pretty good questions also. First aid also has two other books called first aid questions and first aid cases. Get these... they are awesome for ICM and great review for the step. Dr. M for ICM used to take questions straight out of the first aid cases book and put them on our exams. He loved this book. You must get these two books.
Pharm- Get pharm mnemonics flash cards. They will make your life alot easier. I thought they are really well written. You need flashcards for pharm! Also read Dr. M's required text. Its an alright book. A little light, but is enough to make above 80s on his exams BRS questions are pretty good too.

The most important thing that helped me rock the courses was not reading the material 10 times. I think thats a big waste of time. Reda the material once, then take 15 minutes the next day and skim over it and your done reading! The most important thing in med school is to APPLY THE INFO THAT YOU READ. Thats the only way you'll master the material. The only way to apply the info is to do practice questions till your eyes bleed. Now the most important part of the questions ids not doing them but UNDERSTANDING why you got a certain questions right or wrong. Its all about the explanation! If you get a question wrong and go over the explanation and know WHY YOU GOT IT WRONG, then its stuck in your brain. I promise you'll never get that concept wrong again. You always have to ask yourself: why did I get this question wrong or even right? Break down your thought process and see why you got it wrong. You'll start to see once you start doing USMLEWORLD questions that in order to master the basic sciences and rock these questions you have to KNOW THE CONCEPTS! When I say concept, I mean the pathophysiology of the disease. Step and shelf questions are tertiary questions.... you must understand the pathophysio behind the disease in order to answer 75% of the questions. You understand this and you'll score higher than your US counters. Every student I knew who got above a 3.0 in med school swore to practice questions. I cannot stress this enough!!

shelfs- You should always do either USMLEWORLD or kaplan questions for shelf. Take 3 hrs and read first aid for that particular course and spend most of your time doing questions. USMLEWORLD are the best. Kaplan is 2nd, USMLERx are 3rd. I never got below a 64 on a shelf. I used to see students reading the slides and going over first aid 10 times...waste of time. You already read the material during the course, dont bother going back. Do ALL the questions in USLMEWORLD or kaplan and you will not get below a 64. Make sure that when you do the questions and you get one wrong, go over the answer and KNOW WHY YOU GOT THE QUESTION WRONG! Last, there is a website called medstudent.com which has links to very helpful medical school site such as webpath, michigan antomy, etc. It has links for every subject in med school. Some of these sites are priceless! Simple. Hope this helps. Good luck. Peace

DOC.p
09-12-2008, 07:26 AM
good stuff right here...just to reiterate, USMLE world questions, i started using it second semester and the most heavily in 4th and i saw a significant increase in my shelf scores. i recommend all students start using it by at least 3rd semester.

rahulb
09-12-2008, 07:31 AM
all of this pretty much spot on

i need to stress USMLEWORLD questions and lippincott (biochem, micro, pharm) texts for everything. first aid is great to cram the morning of the shelf

jeraldeckman
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Could we possibly sticky this? After all it is the road map through basic sciences....

DOC.p
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
stuck and changed the name...i might do a review of everything i thought was important sometime this semester and i'll post it here

californiabliss
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Agraphia
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
cool. let me know if you guys have any more questions

Agraphia
09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I like some fedback on this thread. Anyone can throw in the 2 cents if they think of more stuff. Anyways, I hope this helps and Im dead serious about this review. cool. Peace

shayloure
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
For genetics, did you think that the book helped? Honestly, I never read the book and I got a C too. Honestly, for genetics, passing is fine as long as you go through at least some of the slides each day. Then again I know that's easier said than done because because most students take all med 2 classes at once, and me being in extended, split them up. For Biochemistry, I'd be leary about doing BRS questions. If you do the questions, do them and don't look at the answer options, but look for the answer in another text like Lippincott. When I was doing BRS questions I found that some of them were wrong. Also, I found that this websites practice questions had some of the same questions that Dr L put on some of the tests. So this is worth a try too http://bob.usuhs.mil/biochem/exams/ (http://bob.usuhs.mil/biochem/exams/).

DOC.p
09-17-2008, 07:14 AM
you don't need a book for genetics, those slides are right out of the book. that's all i used and got a B

Agraphia
09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
yeah, your right about the book for genetics. I read the stupid thing because I hate slides. Honestly, I thought genetics was the hardest class I took at AUA. Well, I had the hardest time with it. That class really sucked. The only reason is because there isn't a good book for genetics. I remember doing all the kaplan and usmleworld question bank a day before the genetics final and I think I got around a 66 on the final. I took the full load for 2nd and really never paid attention to the course because of the weight of the other 3. I remember that biochem and gentics exams fell on the same day and that I would cram genetics like 3 days before the exam. I really cant give any good advice on how to get above a C in the course. DocP will give a better review of this course than I will. Matter of fact, DocP got a higher GPA than I did so what he says is legit. The only thing I can say is that I thought Kaplan and of course USMLEworld are great review for Dr. L's Final. It would really really suck trying to go over all the slides for the final. I dont know if that would be a smart move. Dont rely on firstaid because its too light. Cool

Agraphia
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
For Biochemistry, I'd be leary about doing BRS questions. If you do the questions, do them and don't look at the answer options, but look for the answer in another text like Lippincott. When I was doing BRS questions I found that some of them were wrong. Also, I found that this websites practice questions had some of the same questions that Dr L put on some of the tests. So this is worth a try too http://bob.usuhs.mil/biochem/exams/ (http://bob.usuhs.mil/biochem/exams/).

I disagree... you shouldn't not do BRS questions because there are a couple of questions wrong in the book. There are some great questions on Vitamins in BRS and especially metabolism. Thats all Biochem is.... defects in the metabolism that causes some disease. Whether it be citric, glycolysis, RBCs, proteins, etc. Im telling you, if you memorize the cycles and in between steps put the disease which manifests when that step is screwed, its makes things alot easier. Then on the shelf and in house, just picture the cycle in your head... money! As I said, pre-test Biochem was awesome for Biochem. Pre-test questions are tough and I thought Dr. L's questions were really similar. I think there are only two pre-test question books in the library that you can check out so run over there and get one of them. Cool?

Agraphia
09-17-2008, 12:35 PM
For Biochemistry, I'd be leary about doing BRS questions. If you do the questions, do them and don't look at the answer options, but look for the answer in another text like Lippincott. When I was doing BRS questions I found that some of them were wrong. [/COLOR][/URL].

I disagree... you shouldn't not do BRS questions because there are a couple of questions wrong in the book. There are some great questions on Vitamins in BRS and especially metabolism. Thats all Biochem is.... defects in the metabolism that causes some disease. Whether it be citric, glycolysis, RBCs, proteins, etc. Im telling you, if you memorize the cycles and in between steps put the disease which manifests when that step is screwed, its makes things alot easier. Then on the shelf and in house, just picture the cycle in your head... money! As I said, pre-test Biochem was awesome for Biochem. Pre-test questions are tough and I thought Dr. L's questions were really similar. I think there are only two pre-test question books in the library that you can check out so run over there and get one of them. Cool?

Nidhers
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I know that there are copies of VH dissector and ADAMs circulation for PCs, but does anyone have versions for Mac?

Cyberia
09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I know that there are copies of VH dissector and ADAMs circulation for PCs, but does anyone have versions for Mac?
Most of my friends with mac's use a virtual desktop or parallel desktop software to have xp or vista installed..and then install vh and adams there. Im sure there are mac programs available, but tougher to "find".

snowman43
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I was wondering if it would be wiser to buy books in the states and then send the to AUA? I will start in January 2009?

Cyberia
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Put them in your luggage..if you have them "shipped" to aua..then you'll end up paying duty/customs on the books when you get them. And it will probably wind up being the same.

nectarine
09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Also, put them in your carry-on luggage, so that way you use up less of your valuable weight in the checked luggage...

Nidhers
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
*** Lab coat (this can be used for DPS and Anatomy lab)
*** 2 pairs of scrubs (for anatomy lab; you can wear either or lab coat or scrubs)
*** Clipboard (for anatomy lab and wet lab portion of anatomy exams)
*** B.P. Cuff
*** Stethoscope
***Patella Hammer
*** Pen Light

You will need the B.P. cuff, stetho, patella hammer, and pen light for DPS. They sell all of it at the school but it's significantly over-priced.

Good luck!

irishdoc2005
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM

civicmd
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I am transferring in to the 2nd semester at AUA. I am planning on taking Neuro, Physio, and Behavioral (since i already have credit for Biochem and genetics). Is it a workable schedule to take this combination of classes? Will the timing of classes allow me to do so? and if so what would my schedule look like? I appreciate all your inputs.
Thanks

islandthrift
11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I am transferring in to the 2nd semester at AUA. I am planning on taking Neuro, Physio, and Behavioral (since i already have credit for Biochem and genetics). Is it a workable schedule to take this combination of classes? Will the timing of classes allow me to do so? and if so what would my schedule look like? I appreciate all your inputs.
Thanks

You will know what the schedule looks like when you go to register. Work wise you should be fine but time wise you won't know until you register.

DOC.p
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks
i think that's a pretty good schedule you have there. the only real demanding class is Physio and i don't think you'll have a problem being able to manage. Neuro is actually a very easy course as long as you understand what's going on, not one of those courses that you'll benefit from memorizing everything. Behavioral is another course that doesn't take much to score in the high 70s on the shelf.

NicSTX
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
that actually sounds like a pretty easy course load.

sahens
05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
What is the grading scale for AUA?

jabee_usm
05-09-2009, 04:47 AM
This thread is very informative!

Cyberia
05-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Each class is different. Some have a pass mark at 58. Some have a pass mark at 65. As for A, B,C, that really varies from class to class.

NWS
05-09-2009, 11:12 AM

It varies per semester and per class. When I was on the island:

Med 1 the passing grade was around 60 for all the classes.
Med 2 neuro's passing was 58 while the rest of the classes required a 60.
In Med 3, Micro required a passing grade of 70, immuno was around a 58-60, behavioral 70 (but I took the block which is a bit different than regular semester) and path required a 64.
Finally in Med 4, passing was again a 64 in path 2, icm was around 60 and pharm was 64 also I think (don't exactly remember that one though). Feel free to correct me if my numbers are a bit off.

sahens
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
thank you for the info.
About the shelf exams, how do that work?

Cyberia
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
thank you for the info.
About the shelf exams, how do that work?
You have to achieve a minimum score on a shelf exam in order to pass a class..no matter what your 'grade' is. The min score needed is 54. That's two standard deviations below the average..if you're unable to score that, then you haven't learned anything in the class. (A 64 is considered the equiv passing score on step 1. A 70 is the average achieved by all students who took the exam).
There used to be an auto pass policy. If you made a 64 on the shelf, you would pass no matter what your 'grade' was in the class..but this policy has been removed.

sahens
05-18-2009, 06:17 PM
You have to achieve a minimum score on a shelf exam in order to pass a class..no matter what your 'grade' is. The min score needed is 54. That's two standard deviations below the average..if you're unable to score that, then you haven't learned anything in the class. (A 64 is considered the equiv passing score on step 1. A 70 is the average achieved by all students who took the exam).
There used to be an auto pass policy. If you made a 64 on the shelf, you would pass no matter what your 'grade' was in the class..but this policy has been removed.
Do you have to take the shelf for each class?

islandthrift
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM

The shelf exam is part of the course and must be taken for each class there is one.

Cyberia
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
"Most" classes have shelf exams. In first semester, 2 of your 3 classes will have shelf exams. In 2nd semester, 3 of your 4 will have shelf exams. The classes that don't have shelf exams, you'll take a "final" exam that's prepared by the instructor.

AUAStudentMD
08-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Shelf Exams are def hard...but thats a good thing....will prepare us for the step

Gfavor83
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM

determinedtobedoc
09-01-2009, 09:06 PM
any advice on how to do good in Med 5

Fornis J. Plebney
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

All the Med5 sites are run totally different. That whole THINC semester was one big crapshoot.

vulangdul
12-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes, i accept with information:stuff as well. everyday everyday, it only takes 10 minutes so no excuses.
Genetic-This course sucks. Just read the book and try and do Kaplan questions for the final. This course was one of 2 Cs I got in basic sciences.
Physio-Read the BRS book and the BRS cases book which no one really gets. Dont memorize but try and understand the concepts. Then go and do pre-test questions. Course isnt as hard as everyone makes it. The key is to do lots of questions and apply the info you read.
Neuro- I thought USMLE roadmap was good. I would also use Matt's notes. He is a smart kid so his notes should be more than enough. Dr. G is a really good prof as well.

rusto00
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Interesting stuff going on over here

Drinnon-Ettienne
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
thanks for this guys.

CRTC2
07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Are the lectures at AUA recorded so that students can re-watch them?

Drdiego
07-17-2010, 08:14 PM
If you already have BLS and/or ACLS, does the school still charge you for these and require you take them?

Determination
07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
yea but if you show proof they wont charge u or will remove it. i think its $40. but also keep in mind that ur bls/acls certification has to be valid at the time that you need it. so if u have acls certification make sure it'll be valid during med 4.

Drdiego
07-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks

Its $250 for ACLS and BLS. According to the site you need ACLS for semester one.

Cyberia
07-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks

Its $250 for ACLS and BLS. According to the site you need ACLS for semester one.
No. You need BLS for semester 1 and ACLS for semester 4. I already had both and as long as it's "American Heart for healthcare providers" BLS/ACLS then you just make a copy of your card and turn it in and you'll be refunded/credited the charges.

extrememedicine
07-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Try this new review book that just came out from Harvard:

Vijay's Underground Guide to Medical Biochemistry and Metabolic Disease (with a foreword by Dr. Rick ******** - associate director of HST at Harvard Medical School).

The book is now available on amazon.com and you can also see a preview of the book along with student reviews on their website:

www dot vijaysundergroundguides dot com

Nefertiti_17
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi i really like ur advice to students. I know it was a while back. However, any ideas on how one should prep for comp shelf exams. all students now are required to score 62% over in order to take step 1. any suggestions? is doing kaplan qbank prep enough? so far i've been told study like u would study for step 1. well i cant as i dont have as much time as i would for step 1.

Drdiego
08-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Does AUA have student mentors for Med1 students? If not, student mentors are an invaluable assest for junior students and shold be considered.

factorxprime
08-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi i really like ur advice to students. I know it was a while back. However, any ideas on how one should prep for comp shelf exams. all students now are required to score 62% over in order to take step 1. any suggestions? is doing kaplan qbank prep enough? so far i've been told study like u would study for step 1. well i cant as i dont have as much time as i would for step 1.

All I did was read FA to study for the comp and it worked out well. I'm sure doing qbank will help a ton...Also you get multiple tries to get that 62...so don't stress out if it doesn't happen the 1st time. Good luck!! (Remember to sleeep!!)

factorxprime
08-14-2010, 04:52 PM

They told us that most people get a C, some get a B, and really really few people get an A. I did my 5th in Miami and we were graded on
1) ICM Shelf (ICM was taught great on the island during 4th so this shouldn't be too bad, also pre-test Physical Diagnosis helps)
2) Hospital Evaluation (just show up to hospital everyday...)
3) Mid-term exam (I felt totally unprepared for this, I had to get notes from friends from another site to study for this)
4) Case Studies (I looked at how previous students did their cases, you can also run it by the prof, this wasn't hard, it just took a TON of time to do)
5) Physical Exam Test (you will have reviewed everything for this on the island in 4th as well as have move review in 5th, it'll be easy)

I think the shelf grade brings the grades down because they don't curve your grade... I ended up with a B. Other than that 5th semester was not bad except for the long hours spent writing cases...good luck to you, hope this helps.

sannu123
12-25-2010, 01:43 AM
all of this pretty much spot on

i need to stress USMLEWORLD questions and lippincott (biochem, micro, pharm) texts for everything. first aid is great to cram the morning of the shelf

I agree with you.......thanks for nice post ....;););)

ustad13
08-23-2013, 10:04 AM

axj3213
04-09-2014, 03:56 PM
This is great stuff!! Thanks to everyone who has posted

robertperez668
06-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Cool.. :) ...

KateHoll
04-13-2019, 01:17 AM
It is very important to support and help students.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.