PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jan 09

jeraldeckman
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Ok so I will be starting in January 09, however, I just started thinking about when I will be finishing up classes, and I am curious if starting in January will affect my residency match opportunities due to odd timing of my graduation? Has anyone had any experience or know of anyone who has started in January?

Also how might electing to enter the EBS program affect this?

drjds
09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I've been wanting to know this too.

jeraldeckman
09-12-2008, 12:09 AM
well I have done some reading in some other posts on other school's forums and what I have gathered is that starting in January is either the absolute quickest way to residency (3 yrs) or the absolute longest (5 yrs) depending on if you stick exactly to schedule or not... I however, cannot confirm this and would still like to hear others opinions who have gone through the process.

Doc2013
09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't think that you can finish off in 3 years. You will have to spent 20 months doing Basic Sciences (even if you start in September or January). If you start in September, you will have some 'vacation' time to study for the Step 1 which is not the case with starting in January. You will only have a couple of weeks to prepare for the Step 1. Most Students find it adequate to just study for a couple of weeks rather than an extended period of time.

The rotations procedure will just be accelerated if you want to start right way (ie, if you are starting in January). If you don't want that, you can wait one whole year to start your rotations.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.