PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about transfering - advice?

jakey123
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm in med school in europe & decided i'd like to practice in the united states. My school doesn't have rotations in the states so I want to transfer to a school where I can do clinicals in the states.
Are people happy with AUA? How do you find the quality of teaching? Teaching to USMLE? Is the school accredited? US rotations good?
Do you like the island? Getting around by foot easy?

Thank You

Tipton
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Maybe...depends on where you are walking.:cool:

NWS
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm in med school in europe & decided i'd like to practice in the united states. My school doesn't have rotations in the states so I want to transfer to a school where I can do clinicals in the states.
Are people happy with AUA? How do you find the quality of teaching? Teaching to USMLE? Is the school accredited? US rotations good?
Do you like the island? Getting around by foot easy?

Thank You

It's a good school but loans are a bit shady these days with this school and many other Caribbean schools. I know many students this semester that could not return because they could not secure a loan due to AUA's new requirements. If you wish to attend a Caribbean school, I would recommend Saba/AUC/Ross/St. George before you give AUA consideration. Once you have exhausted those options, then look at schools like AUA/MUA-Nevis/St. Matthews. Also, a new school in St. Kitts called UMHS is doing fairly well for a start-up and has loans with Citibank which is more reliable than what AUA uses (Ed-Invest).

jakey123
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I won't need loans to pay tuition. SGU, Ross & Saba are not options as they will not take my credits from my european med school. I don't want to start all over again. AUA will hopefully accept my credits, so I'm just interested in the overall teaching, curriculum, facilities and clinical rotations.

Thank You

jakey123
09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Also I would be transfering into Med 3. What would I need to bring w/ me to the island besides personal effects? I have books and scope and crappy lab coat from here. Anything I should know to bring?

Cyberia
09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Also I would be transfering into Med 3. What would I need to bring w/ me to the island besides personal effects? I have books and scope and crappy lab coat from here. Anything I should know to bring?
Read the FAQ's in the forum. LOTS of info there..or use the search feature...

SemTuv
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I won't need loans to pay tuition. SGU, Ross & Saba are not options as they will not take my credits from my european med school. I don't want to start all over again. AUA will hopefully accept my credits, so I'm just interested in the overall teaching, curriculum, facilities and clinical rotations.
The way medical curriculum tested in European med schools and US (including Caribbean med schools) is different. SGU, Ross &Saba want to see that you will be able to pass USMLE, same standards applied by AUA as well. This is why SGU, Ross,Saba will not take your credits from european school.

Tipton
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Considering most medical programs in the world have different prerequisites for admission, AUA will most likely not admit you to Basic Sciences at all unless you go back and gain those prerequisites.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.