PDA

View Full Version : Current student - warning!!!!! Read this!!!!

Franchise33
08-30-2008, 10:07 AM
If you are a person on loans, watch out for AUA. unless your credit score is above a 675, and will always be above a 675.. dont not go to AUA!!!!! My credit is below that, and even with a co-signer they will not give me a loan. I have already completed a few semesters, and they have kicked me to the curb.. they will not do anything for you.. they were aware of my credit problems before i entered, and they tricked me into coming.. they gave me a loan at first, and now when i went to re-apply, they wont do anything for me.. they have literally kicked me out of the school.. they got there money, thats all they care about.. even with good credit, unless you keep some high gpa, you will not get a loan.. and with a shelf at the end of the semester worth 30%.. you will not get ur loan!!! take my advice..

i am left with nothing more than a lost year of my life, and $50,000 debt!!!!! no school will take me with out an mcat.. and any school that doenst require an mcat has the same loan company!!! there are hundreds going home!!!! dont fall for this schools trap!!!!

Bubkas1
08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Keep the faith. Call UStatia (NY Office), as they are on the brink of obtaining a deferred loan product. Be well, and follow your dream!

DrSpeaksSoftly
08-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh this makes me ill with fear. I completed my 5th semester in April and have been studying for my step. I wonder if I won't be able to continue with clinicals at AUA when the time comes due to a denied loan? My credit score is not 675 and I have no co-signer. I have over 100K of student loan debt...I think I'll go throw up now.

mrpark01
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
your situation is sad..
but the blame shouldn't all fall on aua.
i believe aua is doing all in it's power (except giving you a free education)..
to keep students in and get them loans.
i think financial establishments are reluctant to grant loans for caribb education..

look. everyone is out for themselves..
you, me, aua, good ol uncle sam.. etc...
stating your situation and how you feel is fine..
just don't bash the school for something that was done without ill-intent.

NWS
08-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Just maintain a 2.0+ GPA with a 650 credit score and you WILL get a loan. If you didn't get one, it's either because your credit was too low, GPA was too low or both. I got denied after reappealing because my credit score was too low so I'm doing self pay for now. Do whatever you can to find alternate methods of getting funding including looking into private bank loans or doing some online MBA program.

md12886
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
you need to have 2.0 gpa and 625 fico score if you are applying with co-signor. If you are applying on your own, your credit score should be 650. We all know the US economy is shaky right now, but AUA is trying to do as much possible within their hands, after all they need us as much as we need them. My credit score was on border line when I started may semester, so I went and talk to financial aid people on how to increase my score, came home and did some online research, n now my score jumped 60 points in 3 months. Its not magic, you have to always find ways. Now, I got loan with less intrest than last sem and without a co-signor! hope this helps. Also, if you need to appeal for ur rejection, you have to have minimum 3.0 gpa. I dont know how that works for med 1 studnts!

dwpegues
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
do some students do an online masters program while at aua that you know of? also, what is the max amount that can be taken out with federal financial aid for an online masters program? some of these masters programs are a little pricey. for undergrad, the max of fafsa for a year was approximately 20k. i would imagine that for a masters degree the amount for fafsa would be much higher.

if someone knows more please elaborate. this could be a painful, but hopeful loop-hole to go through for finding aid.

DrSpeaksSoftly
08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
do some students do an online masters program while at aua that you know of? also, what is the max amount that can be taken out with federal financial aid for an online masters program? some of these masters programs are a little pricey. for undergrad, the max of fafsa for a year was approximately 20k. i would imagine that for a masters degree the amount for fafsa would be much higher.

if someone knows more please elaborate. this could be a painful, but hopeful loop-hole to go through for finding aid.

AUA does not receive FAFSA. I've never heard of someone applying for a Master's program online and using that funding to pay for your education at AUA as this sounds akin to fraud.

jhafez87
08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
davenport MBA program

nectarine
08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Try the American Public University System (APUS/APU/AMU) Accredited Online University - American Public University (APUS) - Online Learning University, Distance Education, Online University Degree Programs (http://www.apus.edu) Prices are great and don't have to be in the military (anymore) to apply. That's where I just finished my MPH!!!

Fornis J. Plebney
08-31-2008, 07:28 PM
AUA does not receive FAFSA. I've never heard of someone applying for a Master's program online and using that funding to pay for your education at AUA as this sounds akin to fraud.

It's not fraudulent. The monies are for the Masters program, living expenses, etc. The fact that you are concurrently working on a MD is irrelevant.

medicine2k6
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Several students do exactly that, do a masters and pull federal funding...but u never heard it from me ;)

medicine2k6
08-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Im sorry for your story though of not getting the loan. I understand your situation very well, hundreds of students are in the same scenario. My advice is you transfer to a school that will take as much of your credits and will help seat you for the step. It might not be as competitive but what can you do right now but to move on. Keep your chin up, you can do it! Its hard and its harder to concentrate when you have to worry about this but at the end YOU WILL BE A DOCTOR!! Gluck.

sadbunny
09-01-2008, 12:31 AM
oh no this sounds terrible.. they are Really making you leave the school? I am in the same exact boat, I have gotten denied by EdLoans too.

md12886
09-01-2008, 01:43 AM
I remember last sem those folks who were denied, with the help of SGA president and vice-president DocP, AUA took the gurantee for the loans and the students who were denied were given loans. Also, last sem the financial aid department was scrambling hours before the registeration since we didn't had ed-invest. on the registeration, we all filled out our application and into the first month, I remember most of the students did not had money. students were worried abt loans and our previous financial aid officer was not good at communicating with students, as a result, AUA stood up for its mistake and everybody was approved for the loans. Now, this sem, things have changed, new financial aid officer CDL is very responsive and do not give you run around. If you are denied by loans, CDL informed my frnd that there is no way AUA will work with you. You can appeal if you have 3.0 or higher gpa. also, if your gpa is less than 2.0, there is no way AUA would certify your loans. I know 3 ppl whose gpa fall below 2.0 since they repeated anatomy (9.0 credit course) and despite of them having their credit scores in 700, school did not certify their loans. They are awaiting their decisions on appeal!

SO take home message is, make sure your credit score dont fall below 650 and ur gpa is above 2.0. if you can maintain those two things, you should be fine with loans!

medicine2k6
09-01-2008, 08:23 AM
What happened last semester I doubt will happen this semester where there will be an exception made because technically the school and loan company was at fault. When students finally received the loan after fighting, waiting and trying to survive on their own last semester...the school warned all the students at that time that DONT EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN NEXT SEMESTER!. At that time the financial dept was all over the place, not organized and managed well.

As far as keeping the GPA above 2.0...I want all new incoming students to understand this very very carefully. If you fail one class that is 9 credits, that will hit our GPA so hard putting you below 2.0...to recover from that you would need 2 B's or A's depending on how many credits is the subject. It is very hard to get a A because of the shelf which is worth alot.

Unless they decide to give you a chance, which doesnt seem to be happening much right now, your in deep trouble those students who NEED loans to get through medical school. I am sure there will be a large number of students that will transfer or take a semester off. Im also sure that half or a little less than half of the incoming med 1 class size will make it to med 2. They got to and will be weeding these students out.

I hope the school makes it clear about this loan situation and the economy during the AUA seminars and all...I would of thought a little harder on which school to go to then.

Franchise33
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
AUA bends over backwards to get you a loan when you first apply.. then when you are a student, and its time to re-apply.. they simply cut you off!!! It has happened to me.. i am telling you that is the case!!! I am looking to transfer to another college, but classes start in a week. I am trying to do my best, but seriously.. transfering schools takes soooo much work, i dunno if it can be done in 4 buss days...

Word of advice.. do not attend a school that doenst have federal loans!!!

DOC.p
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
i really think the moral of the story is that you really need to show the school and the loan companies that you're in it for the long haul. if you work hard and maintain at least a 3.0, you should have no problems getting a loan since this is showing that you will most likely make it through the program regardless if your credit is high or low.

there are some hardworking students that slip through the cracks and it will be tougher for those students because the grades are below the mark and or the credit score is as well. when i first applied here, AUA didn't tell me that there was a specific grade that i needed to maintain to get a loan but i thought it was quite obvious to maintain the highest GPA possible so i would have no problems.

anyway i'm going into my 5th semester and my Ed-invest loan is in its last stages so for the past semesters, i never had a problem obtaining a loan. i guess i am fortunate but also to those prospective students, i don't want you to get the idea that if you come here, there will be loans. there are some stories here and there with specific situations that deemed them not getting a loan. if you come here with a decent credit score and do well, you'll have no problems.

siheg
09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
A cosighner will help correct? And always the masters?

ms_doctor_26
09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
If you are a person on loans, watch out for AUA. unless your credit score is above a 675, and will always be above a 675.. dont not go to AUA!!!!! My credit is below that, and even with a co-signer they will not give me a loan. I have already completed a few semesters, and they have kicked me to the curb.. they will not do anything for you.. they were aware of my credit problems before i entered, and they tricked me into coming.. they gave me a loan at first, and now when i went to re-apply, they wont do anything for me.. they have literally kicked me out of the school.. they got there money, thats all they care about.. even with good credit, unless you keep some high gpa, you will not get a loan.. and with a shelf at the end of the semester worth 30%.. you will not get ur loan!!! take my advice..

i am left with nothing more than a lost year of my life, and $50,000 debt!!!!! no school will take me with out an mcat.. and any school that doenst require an mcat has the same loan company!!! there are hundreds going home!!!! dont fall for this schools trap!!!!

No surprise:idea:! I sense that one day students will be going to class and Banm!!!!the school will be closed. No more AUA :-devil Take my word on this!!!! 50,000-100,000 debt and no MD :D Start thinking outside the box guys :confused:

jeraldeckman
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Are you implying AUA is in financial trouble Ms D? Don't you attend AUA? From myy persepctive AUA is doing very well financially with increasing enrollment each semester...

ms_doctor_26
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Are you implying AUA is in financial trouble Ms D? Don't you attend AUA? From myy persepctive AUA is doing very well financially with increasing enrollment each semester...

I wasn't referring to that, but start thinking about it.....What's taking them so long to build this new building that they are advertising? The classrooms don't even have electrical outlets and their A/C always have some problem (too cold or too hot) and leaking ceiling . I get sick every time I go to class (North Campus):-devil. Another good reason to pack and leave this mess. You guys will be in financial trouble :D not AUA, like i said think outside the BOX. Good Luck!!! I will pray for you guys.......;)

Dr. Zoidberg
09-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I wasn't referring to that, but start thinking about it.....What's taking them so long to build this new building that they are advertising? The classrooms don't even have electrical outlets and their A/C always have some problem (too cold or too hot) and leaking ceiling . I get sick every time I go to class (North Campus):-devil. Another good reason to pack and leave this mess. You guys will be in financial trouble :D not AUA, like i said think outside the BOX. Good Luck!!! I will pray for you guys.......;)

AUA isn't just constructing one building, it's an entire campus. It's definitely going slow because they seem intent on putting up the buildings (there are many) all at the same time instead of one by one. The buildings built 2 semesters ago have been fitted with many electrical outlets, almost enough for every student in the rooms.

ms_doctor_26 is probably a disgruntled student who failed AUA last semester. She's been making other false and immature posts on this forum for a while now.

DOC.p
09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
have you ever been to the new campus? apparently not

shayloure
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Right. Last semester, the desks at the new campus had an outlet at each seat. Those have been removed, and there are 2 outlets on the wall at the end of each row. Construction on the new campus is slow not only because they're buidling all the buildings at once, but because of the lazy workers out there, who stop and stare at the girls when we walk by and say "hey baby." They should be hammering or sawing something but no, they molest us with their eyes and say "hey baby."

drforlife
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Hum, maybe put a complain to Students Dean.. Dr. B... or biochem guy.... They have plenty of hard working construction workers from all over the world in Antigua, so won't be a problem to get the right people..... AUA should have thought about that but it's still on time.

shayloure
09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
No it's not. These 2 ladies came around last semester from New York, saying they were over seers of the construction of the new campus and the development of the nursing school. They took a look at the student housing and what not, and when my roommate and I were talking to them, they told us tha construction was behind schedule because they had to bring in a new company, re do some drafts on the final lay out an got set behind because they have to use Antiguan workers as apart of government law, and due to the fact there are so many Antiguan holidays, we are a few semesters behind schedule. Hopefully the campus will be done when I graduate, with my MD degree in 2011.

islandthrift
09-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Right. Last semester, the desks at the new campus had an outlet at each seat. Those have been removed, and there are 2 outlets on the wall at the end of each row. Construction on the new campus is slow not only because they're buidling all the buildings at once, but because of the lazy workers out there, who stop and stare at the girls when we walk by and say "hey baby." They should be hammering or sawing something but no, they molest us with their eyes and say "hey baby."

Go to security as soon as they say something to you and make sure you can point out the person who said something. I did that a few times last semester at the begining of the semester and the cat calling stopped.

rahulb
09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
they fix the AC at the old campus yet?

siheg
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Why wouldnt the AUA admin push for the new campus to get built asap? I mean a new campus would be a HUGE benefit for, cali, attract more students, and the list goes on and on...

DOC.p
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Why wouldnt the AUA admin push for the new campus to get built asap? I mean a new campus would be a HUGE benefit for, cali, attract more students, and the list goes on and on...
you don't think they are? i guess you really haven't been to the Caribbean yet and seen the attitude of the work force down here.

jeraldeckman
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey melsworth are you still at akron? And if not when are you heading down to the AUA? I start in january... I graduate from akron in december...

siheg
09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Yea I'm still here :-( I'm looking to start med in fall 09. I wanna graduate and perhaps take some upper-division bio classes, in the renovated bio building!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.