PDA

View Full Version : I've given up 30 credits from a university and start all over again in AUA...

HAN_
08-21-2008, 03:25 AM
I just got accept and will be in Antigua for the Sept. 2008.

But I'm too worried about my choice... kinda taking a challenge...

Jumping in to premed 1, without BA/**, or even AA/AS degree...

Can I postpone to go to AUA till at least I get AA or AS degree ?

Is there anyone who can give me advice ?

I know that I have only three weeks left... and don't have enough time to think too much...

But I'm really worried that I could be a doctor without or.. at least with less discrimination...

Give me advice people...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not an american... but I'm studying in the US though.

I've heard that being accepted by a medical school in the US is almost impossible as long as i don't have a citizenship... or at least green card.

Tha'ts why I applied to AUA.

And... I'm 22 years old, but still a sophomor here (american university).

(My age is considered as an old age in my country and 4+4 system is too long for me...)

Well... Please give me comments to my edited tread :confused:

Jay Lash
08-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Stay and study. With only 30 hours complete, you can rock your GPA and the MCAT, get into a US med school and have less to worry about. Caribbean schools come after exhausting other options.

logik15
08-21-2008, 04:37 AM
i agree with jay lash... if you just started undergrad with 30 credits... just go the whole way and get good grades and get a great mcat score and stay in the states. Don't settle for anything less until you absolutely have too or decide to have a career change and its too late. I also hear having a ** is considered for residency placement so you may want to consider that. if you want to be a doctor asap... then i suppose the pre-med route is the way to go... but personally 32 months on the island is wayyy too much for me.

sreec
08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
The associates degree is worthless in my opinion. Get the full degree. Then apply to US schools and St. Georges.

If AUA was willing to accept you with 30 credits or whatever you have, they'll probably take you with a bachelor's degree.

but personally 32 months on the island is wayyy too much for me.

me too

bmh555
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM

I know that I have only three weeks left... and don't have enough time to think too much...

But I'm really worried that I could be a doctor without or.. at least with less discrimination...

Give me advice people...

Im giving up over 60 credits and going without a Bachelors into premed this fall..... You worry to much.... I know many doctors who dont..... Really all comes down to your USMLE scores.

NWS
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Im giving up over 60 credits and going without a Bachelors into premed this fall..... You worry to much.... I know many doctors who dont..... Really all comes down to your USMLE scores.

All you need is 60 science credits to make med 1. You would be better off finishing those rather than being pre-med here. This island is not worth staying at for 32 months or possibly longer if you fail a class here or there. I don't know how people do it..Ive been here 16 months and I'm sick of this place..1 more semester and hopefully I'm gone.

ms_doctor_26
09-04-2008, 11:51 PM

Give me advice people...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not an american... but I'm studying in the US though.

I've heard that being accepted by a medical school in the US is almost impossible as long as i don't have a citizenship... or at least green card.

Tha'ts why I applied to AUA.

And... I'm 22 years old, but still a sophomor here (american university).

(My age is considered as an old age in my country and 4+4 system is too long for me...)

Well... Please give me comments to my edited tread :confused:

What were you thinking dude???? you fell on your head or something??? NO+++++++++++++++++++++++++ :p take it easy my friend! Good luck!!!
(I am a good luck angel) if you listen to me, then you'll have no regrets few months from now. If you don't then.....:-devil

rajrdeo
10-17-2008, 05:34 PM
get a full degree and the undergrad experience... no sense to come here and waste money... work hard and you might not have to come here at all... and i think some states require a degree before MD if im not mistaken

tennisball80
10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I think he is studying in AUA because he doesn't have a green card.

AUCMD2006
10-17-2008, 06:34 PM

there are 50 sets of guidelines (one for each state) and 500 different ways the medical boards interpret their own laws depending on whoi is on the board at the time.

some states don't require many things, some require certain amount of undergrad training, some specify specific classes, a small number want a bachelors degree. there are 4 that have an approval system for foreign schools that linit rotations, residency, even licensure in that state. more than a dozen and growing use lists from other states to deny licensure, some allow you apply after you have a permanent license somewhere else and it gets even more picky. some word things so that all basic science has to be done in country of charter. some specify that rotations lenght, greenbook vs blue book...

also some specify how they count your pre med credits, some don't care, others want it from an accredited undergrad degree granting institution which you can interpret any way you want but unless the charter for med school also involves granting bachelor degrees i don't know.

and many other things but all these can be confusing. many allow you to apply for a license and on the website and their responses will allways say its on "case by case basis" or "each application is looked at individually". what does this mean?

well it means that each application is looked at individually and compared with their standard applicant which is a US grad. with varying degrees of things they ask for are your med schools admission requirements, which includes pre med reqs, mcat scores, faculty of your med school, facilities, library, campus, research programs, and many other things and they see how it compares with a school in their state.

it is a lot more complex than just "your usmle scores" that is the basic, the bottom, the bare bones, the absolute minimum that is needed to apply for a license so don't hold all bets on just passing the usmle and expecting a key to a license.

the dirty little secret is that alot of the requirements for a full unrestricted license (not a residency license) are not evident until you actually apply. things like having your transcripits from high school, college, med school sent..having verification letters of clinical rotations you did all first person directly from the hospitals. having them look at your passport assuriung you were on campus and counting number of weeks

so why do i rain on everyones parade? because you better start looking at these things early rather than when you are 200k in debt. goto the best school you can get to with the most approvals that has been there the longest with the most grads that already paved the way. don't take shortcuts, finish your ba b.s. in the states apply to US schools then look at the carib as a last resort because that is what our schools are and should be. it is extremely shortt sighted to go to the caribbean fro pre med and i thing it is extreme bad form for carob schools to offer them knowing the uncertainty and gaps in licensure later on

when i apply for a license in any state i am confident that if they ask for equivelancy i can say my school is approved by so and so states, you have licensed x number of grads from there here is my undergrad degree, my mcat, my usmle, ecfmg, and any other acronym they want

drforlife
10-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe Loma Linda U. take international students... among few others... Well, you def need higher gpa, mcats to get a chance.. otherwise, see what works best for you. Have aua taken your credits...?? how long would be for you to finish the rest of them at your school and aua..?? No one here can tell what to do.. you have to do what works for you. Best of luck.

drforlife
10-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I think he is studying in AUA because he doesn't have a green card.

I heard of Canadians in the US on F 1 ( student ) visas.

tennisball80
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
If yo have money to pay AUA, you have money to be in the US with a student visa.....

I meant he is not going to a U.S med school because he doesn't have a green card. It is much harder to get accepted if you were international student.

BrazilianDoc
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
definitely... It comes down to who is preparing you for boards and if you can push yourself.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.