PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Macbook + Off campus Internet

hempat08
08-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey you guys, I just got into the pre-med program in Sept 2008 AUA and i just bought a macbook but the problem is it doesn't have card slot and im hearing a lot that off campus internet requires an internet card. Im wondering is there Macbook users who have off campus internet and how they do it and whats the best option. Any help is greatly appreciated thanx.

Cyberia
08-21-2008, 04:33 AM
The internet card we talk about is a prepaid card. In the dorm rooms for instance, you'll plug your laptop into the wall via an ethernet cable (bring one), and when you try to open up your web browser, it will ask for your prepaid card #. After you type it in, you're allowed to browse the internet. The Macbook should come with a wireless card built into it already. (I dont have a mac, but im almost positive they do. Pretty much all computers made in the last 2 years do). I would also bring a wireless router. That way in your dorm room, you can use your laptop anywhere (within range of the wireless signal) instead of having to have it plugged into the wall.

DOC.p
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
oh boy, you bought a mac? you can always use it as a doorstophttp://cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/macstore8.jpg

gatornation
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
definitely a jealous linux/windows poster. I guess since the pc's aren't good for much at all, they were left to become door stops. But now since they can't seem to even do that right, the mac's have to show them how it's done. And btw you won't have any problems with your macbook on the island.

kryptik
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
good call, you wont be getting one of these any time soon ;)

hempat08
08-21-2008, 10:08 AM
The internet card we talk about is a prepaid card. In the dorm rooms for instance, you'll plug your laptop into the wall via an ethernet cable (bring one), and when you try to open up your web browser, it will ask for your prepaid card #. After you type it in, you're allowed to browse the internet. The Macbook should come with a wireless card built into it already. (I dont have a mac, but im almost positive they do. Pretty much all computers made in the last 2 years do). I would also bring a wireless router. That way in your dorm room, you can use your laptop anywhere (within range of the wireless signal) instead of having to have it plugged into the wall.

Hey Thanx alot man. This is my first time buying a mac, im a real heavy windows user and when i found out i didn't have the PCMCIA slot i thought i was screwed but thanx again.

DOC.p
08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
i'm a linux user, there is nothing to be jealous about

HinduDoc
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
most mac users don't know what a pcmcia slot is anyways so they don't include it.... this was quoted from a top official at apple

kryptik
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
honestly most people in general dont know what pcmcia is......95% of students and casual users dont need it so its not included, if you really need it you can buy an accessory to hook it up to it

rahulb
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/910.gif

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.