PDA

View Full Version : is AUA the new Ross?

fm79
07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi I am a MUA student........i wanted to transfer to AUA but after reading your posts ......it seems to me you guys are really getting weeded out like ross true?

DOC.p
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
i think you mean Ross in your title? - i made the change for you

Cyberia
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
If you mean how ross admits everyone and then weeds out half the class, aua isn't like that. AUA has a bit stricter admission guidelines, yet you DO have to pass courses to be a physician (shocker i know). If you're able to do the work, it doesn't matter where you go..in the end you'll still have the MD initials after your name. If you can't..there's always buisness school..:)

DOC.p
07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
people fail here, people fail in Ross, people fail at SGU...should i continue?

if you want to call it weeding, i think it's really just separating from the very serious students and the not so serious ones. when you have admissions that aren't nearly as strict as US schools, there's going to be failures. there's nothing you can do about that.

there is no reason, if you're a serious student and work extremely hard, to be worried about being "weeded out".

Dr. Zoidberg
07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
There really isn't any weeding out at AUA. Alot of people have failed because they don't take med school seriously. Personally all the people I've seen fail were slacking off in the courses.

ADVICE* If you're a transfer student, try NOT to come to AUA for your third semester unless you've taken Microbiology and Immunology. We've got an incompetent department here and it's been a semester of hell. Terrible teaching, mandatory attendance, weekly quizzes, unfair exams, the works. Overall AUA is an alright school, but that department makes our school look like garbage.

NWS
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
people fail here, people fail in Ross, people fail at SGU...should i continue?

if you want to call it weeding, i think it's really just separating from the very serious students and the not so serious ones. when you have admissions that aren't nearly as strict as US schools, there's going to be failures. there's nothing you can do about that.

there is no reason, if you're a serious student and work extremely hard, to be worried about being "weeded out".

This is very much true and I can personally attest to this. I had some growing pains when I got here because I wasn't taking things as seriously as I should have. Once I got serious, things went much smoother. AUA will demand a lot from you (especially the Micro department) but if you put the work in, you will be fine.

ms_doctor_26
07-31-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't think anybody in medical school would be so stupid not to be serious about the program. This school is very expensive, you think students want to fail. I find that staying at home and study on your own is a much better way to be successful herel. Also, get the best and most updated USMLE program you can possibly buy, if you are serious about medicine. I know High school gives you a foundation for college and college gives you a foundation for University. AUA gives you a foundation for lawsuits LOL! I am just speaking the truth.

dwpegues
07-31-2008, 02:55 AM
I know High school gives you a foundation for college and college gives you a foundation for University. AUA gives you a foundation for lawsuits LOL! I am just speaking the truth.

please stop your posting. i really do not enjoy reading what you post as you have nothing better to say than garbage. every post i have read by you is a complaint in some form or another. if you do not like aua, or better yet do not like studying, get the heck out. make room for others that are interested in succeeding. i will be there in jan and i will sure as heck make the best of my time STUDYING, not COMPLAINING.

ms_doctor_26
07-31-2008, 03:37 AM
please stop your posting. i really do not enjoy reading what you post as you have nothing better to say than garbage. every post i have read by you is a complaint in some form or another. if you do not like aua, or better yet do not like studying, get the heck out. make room for others that are interested in succeeding. i will be there in jan and i will sure as heck make the best of my time STUDYING, not COMPLAINING.

I wish you the best!!! be careful what you say, it may hurt you back. When you are spending that much money in a school and they are not providing you with any support, then you'll get the point. I know a whole lot of students who are leaving this school this term. Come here and waste your money as well.

DOC.p
07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
I don't think anybody in medical school would be so stupid not to be serious about the program. This school is very expensive, you think students want to fail
....really?? i can think of a dozen names in multiple semesters who go out all the time and enjoy the island. the majority of those people have failed a class and some have failed even more than one. i know of only a very few students who have really busted their butts and managed to not pass everything but are still really trying. i can think of about 10 people off the top of my head that were dismissed since i started who didn't take school as seriously as it needed to be and partied.

that's not to say you can't have fun, you can and you much every once in awhile to keep your sanity. those that don't do as well want to look around and put the blame on someone else but at the end of the day, it's all on you. nobody wants to fail a class but you'd have to be pretty naive to think that every single student in this school takes the school just as serious as the next person.

md12886
07-31-2008, 07:58 AM
This school is very expensive, you think students want to fail. Also, get the best and most updated USMLE program you can possibly buy, if you are serious about medicine. AUA gives you a foundation for lawsuits LOL! I am just speaking the truth.

If you have ny approval and are potential growing med school, these fees are reasonable...ever wonder why sgu charges so much? we use same textbook as they do and same book as windsor uses, this is all money making scheme. everything you will be tested during exams comes from the textbook, uw is a good source to practice questions but it cannot be used replace your textbooks....it seems that you are frustrated as you are struggling passing the classes...before blaming on someone (proffs or school), one should always look him/her self...are you potential enough to handle the workload of med school? I have friends here from med 1 to med 4....they all are passing courses, hard work = success!!! I even met students transfer from sgu n auc, they all suggested aua has great potential to grow if they fixes small things....offcourse, micro dept. in med 3 is a biggest concern, but if one works hard enough, you will be rewarded. as docp suggested, there are students who just come here for party, by spending that much money, if they fail out, I do not have any regret for them! finally, I hope no one comes to aua to get themselves involve in lawsuits, by telling everyone that the students here will have most lawsuits....ever wonder what people think of you :rolleyes:

fm79
07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
actually....I realize people in med sch fail...the reason i wanted to transfer was I had to drop ethics in med 2 because of attendance. I have taken everything except clin med, kaplan and ethics. But your clin med is in med 4 where as ours is in med 5. So since ethics conflicts with clin med i have to take ethics alone next semester then clin med and kaplan. Well admin decided to make me take ethics alone next semester then clin med and kaplan the semester after. But i called the ny AUA office and they told me I had to do med 4 in atigua and then go to baltimore....So i guess i could come to AUA for med 4 but AUA seems more pricey than nevis So its not grades or anything. I am doing fine here, I even did well on the path 2 shelf... i just wanan get the heck out of the carribean.

KVarner
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Ethics? As far as I know, AUA does not have an ethics class. Really, it sounds kind of dumb to me anyway, we all know what ethical behavior is, whether we choose to behave accordingly isn't going to be changed by a class.

Fornis J. Plebney
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Ethics is covered in Behavioral Sciences.

FutureDoc86
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
and the shelf is 40-50 percent ethics and patient doctor relationship, at least how I felt...

fm79
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
what do you guys think? will they put me in med 4 or 5? ...is it also true that you guy shave med 5 in ny?

fm79
08-01-2008, 05:14 PM
would u guys recommend transferring or staying here for 2 semesters

Doctor_MD
08-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Yes ethics was definitely a huge portion on the Behavioral shelf exam.

RUstudent17
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
if you think that harvard med school doesnt have the exact problems as AUA, Ross, SGU, your mistaken, my dad is a faculty at the dental school in New Jersey who also went to Ross 25 years ago, said every school has the "problem" department,course,professor, ect.

It shouldn't reflect the overall education of the University, (his words not mine

RUstudent17
05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
And one thing is for sure, there are professors at some of these caribbean schools that could teach in the US no question. But getting a visa seems to be difficult i guess

isalador
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Micro is not the BIGGEST problem. A problem, yes, but not the biggest one.

Some AUA admins could stand an ethics course.

iwanabmd
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
as far as I'm considered... thanks to Dr. B, micro has taken a complete 180 and gone from one of the poorest taught, to one of the best taught.

Tipton
05-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I like ethics. With fries.

isalador
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes! Dr. B is super. And I creepily love micro. I guess i was just offended or, truthfully, jealous of someone that thinks micro is the biggest problem. I am good student having some nasty dealings with AUA.

Do you dip your fries in infractions? Or do you like to smother it all over your ethics?

Tipton
05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Funny! I've received a total of 2 infractions in my stay so far on VMD. One of which I deserved while I was in....something. Cognito.

Ethics I like diced with olives and some couscous. Tater tots are good too.

anesthetic_ambitions
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Funny! I've received a total of 2 infractions in my stay so far on VMD. One of which I deserved while I was in....something. Cognito.

Oh, you're making funnies, hehehe :p

isalador
05-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Wow. Incognito. So, you are a school official that posts (and gets infractions) under an assumed identity?!

We know that this happens, but that you admit it in the same thread that you make light of ethics is appropriate.

Tipton
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Wow. Incognito. So, you are a school official that posts (and gets infractions) under an assumed identity?!

We know that this happens, but that you admit it in the same thread that you make light of ethics is appropriate.

No. Past tense. I was in...something. Cognito. Flamed someone (rather creatively I thought) prior to realizing the significance of the TOS. DocP may remember...or not since he just began his first rotation.

And if violating TOS (which can simply mean a violation according to the moderator's interpretation) in an online forum is "unethical", than something is very wrong with the world today.

And I still like tater tots.

DOC.p
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
No. Past tense. I was in...something. Cognito. Flamed someone (rather creatively I thought) prior to realizing the significance of the TOS. DocP may remember...or not since he just began his first rotation.

And if violating TOS (which can simply mean a violation according to the moderator's interpretation) in an online forum is "unethical", than something is very wrong with the world today.

yes i do remember well

Fornis J. Plebney
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM

I think the infraction centered around an alleged threat to throw tater tots at someone, no? :p No..wait...that was a different poster over at SDN.

isalador
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM

Whatever dude. Way to ignore the meat of the issue and bring the whole world into it. The truth is you are admitting to having posted while pretending to be someone you aren't.

Tipton
05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Whatever dude. Way to ignore the meat of the issue and bring the whole world into it. The truth is you are admitting to having posted while pretending to be someone you aren't.

No. I was in cog nito. Or an on y mous like everyone else here. THEN I...came out of the closet so to speak and changed my identity to what you see today.
http://olivia4president.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/tater_tots.jpg

NWS
05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Omg Tipton you huge troll!!!

/End fake outrage.

Fornis J. Plebney
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
no. I was in cog nito. Or an on y mous like everyone else here. Then i...came out of the closet so to speak and changed my identity to what you see today.

Give us Barabbas!!!!!!!!!!!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.