PDA

View Full Version : Please everyone read the news!!! DONT GO!!!

Dude80
07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
BREAKING NEWS 7/29/08:
Another white couple raped and murdered like dogs. This time its on CNN. Heres the link. Two Locals shot DOCTOR in head and raped wife and shot her like an animal.
3 held in Antigua honeymoon murder case - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/07/29/honeymoon.murder.ap/index.html)

kryptik
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
crimes occur everywhere in the world, that incident is very tragic and unfortunate but that dont make the locals "animals and bush men" there are good/bad people everywhere including where ever you are from.

DrSpeaksSoftly
07-29-2008, 07:10 PM
By this logic we shouldn't go to school anywhere in America, where tragedies like this happen dozens of times a day. What I find interesting is that this is a rare occurance on the island yet you are acting as if crimes like this never occur in America. Heck, there is a serial rapist loose in my very city rihgt now, should I crawl in a hole in the ground and hide?

Cyberia
07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
It's actually the first non-local murder in 10 years. Better record than my hometown:)

HinduDoc
07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
there's crime everywhere, it's just the police in the Caribbean aren't police at all. They walk around in fancy uniforms and do absolutely nothing. if something does happen, don't expect them to do anything except lose your police report. All you can do is be Careful & protect yourself

Agraphia
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM
police in the Caribbean aren't police at all. They walk around in fancy uniforms and do absolutely nothing.

true that. I also like ROBOCOP who controls the gates at the new campus

Dude80
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah ok, its just like america except one millionth of the size. We'll see when they come and bust in your door on the island, you can point your invisible gun at them, and then tell them you are going to call the invisible police force. Ha HA!!!! Good Luck. You dont get it do you? In the US you can use common sense, on the island you cant avoid it, and you cant defend yourself, its messed up man. Real messed up. You dont know what your talking about. I have been through it, and it was scary, real scary and if it wasnt for pure luck, I wouldnt be typing this now. Its all ya ya ya until it happens to you, . Some of the people here are evil. Real real real real evil. Trust me man...

bmh555
07-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah ok, its just like america except one millionth of the size. We'll see when they come and bust in your door on the island, you can point your invisible gun at them, and then tell them you are going to call the invisible police force. Ha HA!!!! Good Luck. You dont get it do you? In the US you can use common sense, on the island you cant avoid it, and you cant defend yourself, its messed up man. Real messed up. You dont know what your talking about. I have been through it, and it was scary, real scary and if it wasnt for pure luck, I wouldnt be typing this now. Its all ya ya ya until it happens to you, so you dorks need to keep your mouth shut and stop commenting on something you know nothing about. Some of the people here are evil. Real real real real evil. Trust me man...

Apparently you never been to any city in America. Im from buffalo, ny and last year alone there was just 63 murders with in the small city limits. You cant defend yourself on the island? You cant use common sense? Well maybe you can't but I think most of us on here going to medical school are quite capable of using common sense.

I have been through it too. Downtown buffalo is much more dangerous then Antigua but didnt that stop me from going downtown optionally for high school and college (which by the way bordes the most dangerous part of the city, the east side), or going out downtown to go to clubs and bars with my friends. And I was a suburban boy, actually have lived my whole life in the safest town in America. I have been jumped in the city andhad a gun pointed at me in a gas station hold up... I learned alot of lessons. Just takes some common sense.

You dont walk down the east side alone, you dont wander around the city by yourself at night drunk. And just dont be stupid and you will manage here just like you do in Antigua. Compared to most places in the USA (which by the way has one of the highest murder rates of any modern industrial country), Antigua is paradise.

Or we could all just run an hide as Dude saids because we have a .005% chance of being murdered in Antigua....:p

10 murders this years / (82,786 population + 97,000 visitors)=*100=.005%

sweet2826
07-29-2008, 11:41 PM
This is a very tragic and unfortunate situation. I have not seen in any news articles where it says that she was raped? Please post information as accurate as possible.

dwpegues
07-30-2008, 03:45 AM
i read this article on cnn the other day. the woman was murdered, and both she and her husband were shot. the police think at this time the crime/murder was a result of a robbery. the article also said this is the 7th murder this year in antigua. her husband has been in critical condition since the shooting due to a shot to the head. frankly, this being the 7th murder this year is nothing dramatic at all. i am from new orleans, a great city where you can have the luxury of seeing someone murdered right before your very eyes. i have lived in north hollywood, ca - lived two blocks from the worst criminal shootout in u.s. history in which many dozens of people were murdered before the police could bring the shootout to a hault, i have lived in miami, not far from little havana, lived near hialeah, pompano beach city, etc. as a previous poster stated, why worry about the crime in antigua when the u.s. has the worst crime in the world - 1000 times over number two. do not live in fear. this is just cnn at its finest. does any news channel cover more bloodshed/death than cnn? cnn is the most pathetic news in the world. read bbc or foxnews. those two are quite a bit less biased and ratings are a little bit less of a concern.

DOC.p
07-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah ok, its just like america except one millionth of the size. We'll see when they come and bust in your door on the island, you can point your invisible gun at them, and then tell them you are going to call the invisible police force. Ha HA!!!! Good Luck. You dont get it do you? In the US you can use common sense, on the island you cant avoid it, and you cant defend yourself, its messed up man. Real messed up. You dont know what your talking about. I have been through it, and it was scary, real scary and if it wasnt for pure luck, I wouldnt be typing this now. Its all ya ya ya until it happens to you, . Some of the people here are evil. Real real real real evil. Trust me man...
apparently someone can't get their point across without violating the TOS

anyway i've lived here over a year, leaving the island for good in less than a month and i can't think of one time where i haven't been safe. i've never put myself in a situation where i was vulnerable for robbery or attack. if you practice good safety habits, you'll have nothing to worry about.

prettychic86
07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
i've never put myself in a situation where i was vulnerable for robbery or attack. if you practice good safety habits, you'll have nothing to worry about.

and how do u practice good safety habits?:roll:

md12886
07-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Just stay away from troubles...hang out with friends who knows why they here and what are their goals!!!

islandthrift
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
and how do u practice good safety habits?:roll:

Don't go out at night by yourself to a bar/club, instead go with a group of friends. Don't let friends drive drunk and don't you drive drunk. Don't go walking around by yourself after dark. Make sure your outside lights on your house/apt are working and always keep your windows and door's locked when you are not home or when you are asleep. Don't pick fights with people or locals. And bottom line, if you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it here!

Doctor_MD
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Yea I would suggest to "practice safety" don't go out by yourself, always travel with at least one other person (especially females). Don't go into "hot spot" areas after dark aka downtown. Try to live in a location that isn't deserted, preferably with some type of security system. You can do your part to make sure that YOU don't find trouble, however you cannot help if the trouble comes to you (break-in/robbery, etc...). In which case I would recommend some type of protection for yourself at home (e.g. mase, knife, etc...). It's better to be safe than sorry. Although I personally feel that my security is more of a threat here on the island than it would be at home. Yes crime occurs everywhere, but at least in the states you have police that you could call in case of emergency that would be there in a flash. Here you really don't have anyone you could call in case of emergency. Which basically goes back to what has already been said, just try to practice your own security measures and hope that you do not find yourself in that predicament.

Doctor_MD
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
BREAKING NEWS 7/29/08:
Another white couple raped and murdered like dogs. This time its on CNN. Heres the link. Two Locals shot DOCTOR in head and raped wife and shot her like an animal.
3 held in Antigua honeymoon murder case - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/07/29/honeymoon.murder.ap/index.html)

I'm just a little confused though, I didn't read anything about rape in this article, and the wife was the doctor. The husband was the one seriously injured...:confused:

KVarner
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll be the first to tell you that this kind of stuff happens everywhere in the world. I don't like it one bit, but there is nowhere that I can go to avoid it.

I feel fairly safe in Antigua. The only reason I don't rank Antigua as AS SAFE as home is because I can't have guns here. I would probably but a house here and want to live my whole life on this island if I could have guns. That is how much I like it here. And, like I said, there is nothing exceptional about this island that makes me want to have guns, I think it is generally irresponsible to go about unarmed anywhere any time. I just have to take the risk so I can go to school.

ms_doctor_26
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&srch=+taxi+driverchrist,+25+shot+dead&srchSType=&dr1=&dr2=&CFID=39687834&CFTOKEN=44943487&jsessionid=983084c627cb92c2831e (http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=150725029108022008&an=455856058906202008&ac=Local&aop=133443058506202008#StoryTop)edited

DrSpeaksSoftly
08-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Uh, drama much? (how do you know it wasn't a car backfiring?) No one is saying that bad things don't happen on Antigua, they are saying it is comparitive to living anywhere else on Earth. Ten killings in one year? That sounds like my city in one month!

My first semester in Antigua I was mugged down by the Australian. But I didn't suddenly think I was living in a "war zone." :roll: Rather I knew this was just as likely to happen anywhere in the USA and wrote it off as a life lesson. Life on the island isn't perfect but I challenge you to find anywhere that is violence free and some kind of paradise. I went to the island for one thing only, get my education and return to the States. Mission accomplished. Keep your goal in mind and just bulldoze you way through.

Rookie
08-02-2008, 08:32 PM
As far as personal protection what options are available on the island?
Are stun-guns, tasers, pepper/tear gas spray, batons, knives all readily available for purchase?
I assume live firearms are a no-go if your not a resident of the country but what else is legal? We should have a right to protect out selves if we choose...

Fornis J. Plebney
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't even sleep at night anymore :(. There are too much going on...the country is on fire...they come to your house to kill you and rape you....Most of the time, they take everything, then kill you. I don't understand why others in here are hidding the facts....Maybe ValueMD is just about recruiting and entertaining students about what they want to hear, but not necessarily provide them with the bad side of it....maybe at least they can give their last good kiss and hug to their family before coming here just like going to war.....OMG i just heard gun shots

Oh the drama. I can understand your concern over a recent spate of crime, but let's keep things in perspective. Nobody on this thread or any other thread that I've seen has painted Antigua as a post-modern Utopia. The general consensus is that one needs to use their 'street smarts' and be aware of their environment. Any one of these crimes could have just as easily happened in your own hometown. There are whackjobs everywhere. I'm not a big fan of this island by any stretch of the imagination, but things are nowhere near as bad as you're making them out to be.

Life is too [email protected] short to be looking over your shoulder 24/7. I keep the mindset of Frank Costello in 'The Departed', "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me."

md12886
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
WOW!!! you are determined to make look AUA bad on this forum...gun shots n murdered, am I in the middle of iraq...? Where is the saddam's palace? geez for god sake, if you wanna leave AUA ...please do so, you are just mad on AUA, aren't you? yes, we had 10 murders in what 8 months...lol. My home city back in states has a murdered rate of (~ 2 a day)...am I affraid, no I am not. anyways, I hope u sud continue with drama, looks like "dark knight" is in the town...lol. staff at aua are always concerned about the students safety, remember 2 weeks ago, when the hurricane was 800 miles away, we got updates on it 3 times a day, anyways I do not want to prove whats right n whats wrong, people are smart enough at this age to make the decisions..even if u stay here or not, aua will be there!!!

no place in the world is safe, but what the poster described above is the wrong potrait of the island, I am just telling you whats the reality..belive me, I dont get 50 % off on my tution to comment truthness on this forum!!! Just practice your basic safety steps as described by other posters who have been on the island more than me :)

Rookie
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Bump

as far as personal protection what options are available on the island?
Are stun-guns, tasers, pepper/tear gas spray, batons, knives all readily available for purchase?
I assume live firearms are a no-go if your not a resident of the country but what else is legal? We should have a right to protect out selves if we choose...

bump

Captain Janazah
08-03-2008, 10:36 AM
double post

Captain Janazah
08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by rookie View Post as far as personal protection what options are available on the island? Are stun-guns, tasers, pepper/tear gas spray, batons, knives all readily available for purchase? I assume live firearms are a no-go if your not a resident of the country but what else is legal? We should have a right to protect out selves if we choose... Cause 50 this, 50 that, 50 stay with a gat Thirty-two shots in the clip, hollow tips in the Mack

bmh555
08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Cause 50 this, 50 that, 50 stay with a gat Thirty-two shots in the clip, hollow tips in the Mack

A real educated response. Please go rap somewhere else.

stephew
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
If you have nothing to contribute to the original topic, do not post. Do not bump thread.

Rookie
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Stephew, guess I am confused. I feel my post about personal safety was related to this topic. Could you explain more?
Thought my post was over looked so I bumped it to get an educated resposne. Please advise on the correct procedure???

NWS
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
This thread needs to be locked or the very least it's title changed. It was a tragedy but an isolated one. Antigua is no more dangerous than your average American city. I feel safer here than I would in say Oakland California.

Captain Janazah
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm not rapping, this is just the way i talk
Me not rapping is like tellin a bird to walk
I am a tall man, quite taller than some midgits
When i hit the club, girls give me their digits
My flows are like a 260 on the step one
You mess with CJ and you wake up to ma gun, son

Dr. Zoidberg
08-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey Rookie, all those things are really unnecessary. Antigua is a very safe island and the people are great. This was a rare incident that just happen to occur here in Antigua.

ms_doctor_26's account of the island is certainly interesting. I don't know why she's making up such a story, maybe she's failing AUA, but that is quite an imagination.

Rookie
08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you for the answer.

bmh555
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not rapping, this is just the way i talk
Me not rapping is like tellin a bird to walk
I am a tall man, quite taller than some midgits
When i hit the club, girls give me their digits
My flows are like a 260 on the step one
You mess with CJ and you wake up to ma gun, son

Your so good that maybe you should consider a career change. Go to rap school instead of med school. Or you could just kinda grow up?

DOC.p
08-03-2008, 06:10 PM
this thread is dumb...next time ms doctor goes off on another tangent, i'm probably going to close it

Captain Janazah
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Your so good that maybe you should consider a career change. Go to rap school instead of med school. Or you could just kinda grow up?

maybe you should develop a personality, i hear that's important when u wanna become a doctor.

Doctor_MD
08-03-2008, 11:25 PM
The island is on fire? You know that's for the soil, right...?

ms_doctor_26
08-05-2008, 01:19 PM
WOW!!! you are determined to make look AUA bad on this forum...gun shots n murdered, am I in the middle of iraq...? Where is the saddam's palace? geez for god sake, if you wanna leave AUA ...please do so, you are just mad on AUA, aren't you? yes, we had 10 murders in what 8 months...lol. My home city back in states has a murdered rate of (~ 2 a day)...am I affraid, no I am not. anyways, I hope u sud continue with drama, looks like "dark knight" is in the town...lol. staff at aua are always concerned about the students safety, remember 2 weeks ago, when the hurricane was 800 miles away, we got updates on it 3 times a day, anyways I do not want to prove whats right n whats wrong, people are smart enough at this age to make the decisions..even if u stay here or not, aua will be there!!!

no place in the world is safe, but what the poster described above is the wrong potrait of the island, I am just telling you whats the reality..belive me, I dont get 50 % off on my tution to comment truthness on this forum!!! Just practice your basic safety steps as described by other posters who have been on the island more than me :)

I am not trying to make AUA look bad. I did not even mention AUA nor do I care if ppl come to AUA or not. Why should I care??? THINK ABOUT THIS PEOPLE!!! I did my research about the crime rate in Antigua and I just wanted to inform others who care about their safety. This is a touristic Island they lied about saying only 10 murders in about 8 months so that the country can keep functioning. Without the tourist, the antiguans will die because they are lazy ppl.These informations are listed on the Antiguan website. If you google it you may not find anything, but a beautiful island. I do get 50% off my tuition as well, but that's not a reason for me to be a hypocrit. I have my friend who had his laptop stolen at "Achorage Inn " and now he feels unsafe. At this moment, many students are stressed, depressed and scared.
I can recall when i got accepted to this school, how excited I was. Someone was trying to inform students about the school, but those same ppl were rejecting that and pretending as if he/she was lying or it's because he/she was failing. I was too happy to believe the student myself, because others were confronting and said that he/she was lying. I wish I had pay more attention to this situation. What does failing has to do with telling the truth??? wow! because i am failing, i have to be selfish and stop other students from coming to this school. That does not make any sense to me at all. The administration is trying to make AUA look bad, not me :twisted:.
WHEN SOMETHING IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. I Know many of you hate me for speaking the truth, but I only have Love for all ya'll. Love ya'll my brothers and sisters. :dancing:
I am not the type of person who would be wasting my precious time lying to others. PEACE!:bestwishes:

md128866 Do this when you don't have anything to say :microwav:
Maybe you should go to law school, you are quick to defend and lie.

Tipton
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
This is a touristic Island they lied about saying only 10 murders in about 8 months so that the country can keep functioning. Without the tourist, the antiguans will die because they are lazy ppl.These informations are listed on the Antiguan website.(my emphasis)

Link?

Captain Janazah
08-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Tipton Antiguans are maaad lazy. Even at the grocery store, they're too lazy to even bag ur groceries sometimes

ms_doctor_26
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
(my emphasis)

Link?

Antigua Sun (http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=150725029108022008&archives=display)

Tipton
08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
No mention of laziness there...maybe you mean Antiguans are Caribbean: live on Caribbean time rather than US time?

NWS
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Tipton Antiguans are maaad lazy. Even at the grocery store, they're too lazy to even bag ur groceries sometimes

Yeah, I end up ******* my own grocery the majority of the time I go to Epicurean. If you ask an Antiguan to do something for you, they will give you this stare like you just asked them to jump off a bridge--this is especially true of Antiguan women.

Tipton
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I end up ******* my own grocery the majority of the time I go to Epicurean. If you ask an Antiguan to do something for you, they will give you this stare like you just asked them to jump off a bridge--this is especially true of Antiguan women.

Ok. I'm probably going to have my head handed to me for asking this...but how do your two examples equate to "laziness"? Are these people you are employing? Many grocery stores in the US require shoppers to bag their own. Does this mean Americans are lazy?

Frankly I couldn't give two rats behinds who gets called a name negative generalizations...etc. I just get really tired with people from the US going to another part of the world and expecting everything and everyone to be exactly the same or somehow its "wrong". Its not wrong. Its different. Rant done.

NWS
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok. I'm probably going to have my head handed to me for asking this...but how do your two examples equate to "laziness"? Are these people you are employing? Many grocery stores in the US require shoppers to bag their own. Does this mean Americans are lazy?

Frankly I couldn't give two rats behinds who gets called a name negative generalizations...etc. I just get really tired with people from the US going to another part of the world and expecting everything and everyone to be exactly the same or somehow its "wrong". Its not wrong. Its different. Rant done.

Part of the services offered by Epicurean is ******* for every customer (they have employees specifically for this task). I pay for these employees indirectly through the higher prices at Epicurean vs. other places. Not only that, but if I get lucky and find an Antiguan that isn't being lazy that day and they cart my grocery to my car, I give them a nice tip. This endemic laziness isn't limited to only Epicurean, even if you go to any other place of business where basic customer service is expected (e.g. radio shack), many times the Antiguan working there won't perform their job without grunting several times.

DOC.p
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM

speaking of which, have you been down here yet Tipton?

SemTuv
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
If you ask an Antiguan to do something for you, they will give you this stare like you just asked them to jump off a bridge--this is especially true of Antiguan women.
its a classic

Tipton
08-05-2008, 08:34 PM
speaking of which, have you been down here yet Tipton?
Yes: Jan 2007

ZIMAgo
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
i read ... cnn? cnn is the most pathetic news in the world. read bbc or foxnews. those two are quite a bit less biased and ratings are a little bit less of a concern.

Did he just say Fox News and less biased in the same sentence?

NicSTX
08-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I know this is old but I'm going to jump in here because I see 2 extreme points of view on an old argument. I left the island may 2007. Men and women seem to have different views on safety on the island. I had a friend who hung out in jolly harbor village ALL the time, he was friends with all the locals and had a great time. But then I witness my boyfriend at the time have a guy come up to him with a knife in st johns and ask for money.

Don't come to the island thinking it's going to be like home. Don't live in areas you feel uncomfortable. There are nice areas and shady areas, just like in the states.

Don't disrespect locals - they have their own time references. When I first came to the island I was annoyed as anything when it took me 3 hours to get my meal, by the time i moved back to the states i wanted the waitress off my back while i relaxed before ordering my meal.

Antigua is an experience, and if you learn from it you've walked away with an experience you've never had before. But by turning a blind eye and judging it as one extreme or another (all bad or all good) you're sorely mistaken.

Come here, mind your business, don't put yourself in bad situations (like being in st johns late at night) and get your education.

Good luck all.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.