PDA

View Full Version : GPA for admission

Ian22
07-19-2008, 11:14 PM
What kind of gpa do you need to get into Caribbean medical school.

Is it still possible to get into AUA with a 3.0 B.A. and no MCAT?? I was told by someone that attended AUA, yes. that was her case too. She is now in her third year doing her clinicals in the states. I am taking my premeds. BIO1 =B, Bio2=C, Genchem1= B, lab A, Genchem2=B, Need organic1/2 and Physics1. I also GOT an A in english, and an A in Stats.
I am thinking about taking medical terminology or A&P 1 or bio chem1 after applying. which would be the most beneficial of the 3?

OmarT
07-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Is it still possible to get into AUA with a 3.0 B.A. and no MCAT?? I was told by someone that attended AUA, yes. that was her case too. She is now in her third year doing her clinicals in the states. I am taking my premeds. BIO1 =B, Bio2=C, Genchem1= B, lab A, Genchem2=B, Need organic1/2 and Physics1. I also GOT an A in english, and an A in Stats.
I am thinking about taking medical terminology or A&P 1 or bio chem1 after applying. which would be the most beneficial of the 3?

keep it up. you'll get in. check out some extra curricular too..

Drdiego
07-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Do well in your org chem classes and you should be fine. Biochem is a good susbstitute for org II if you can find one. It is more beneficial for med school than org chem. Good luck

Tipton
07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Do well in your org chem classes and you should be fine. Biochem is a good susbstitute for org II if you can find one. It is more beneficial for med school than org chem. Good luck

FYI - Per AUA's Admissions Committee: Biochem only subsitutes for OChem 2 if the applicant also has a bachelors degree.

CPK-MD
07-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Do transfers to AUA need 90 credits of undergraduate work EVEN if they've completed their basic sciences? (Transferring to Clinicals)

Ian22
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I do have a BA and so if I choose to sub Bio-chem1 for o-chem2 - is O-chem1 going to be a good pre-req for biochem1???? Do most schools transfer Biochem one as O-chem2??

Overall how many courses are math affliated in medical school? I am good at math but I hate it. It is so boring I love biology!!!

Tipton
07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Do transfers to AUA need 90 credits of undergraduate work EVEN if they've completed their basic sciences? (Transferring to Clinicals)

If you have a passing Step 1 result your application as a transfer into Clinicals would be reviewed first by the Admissions Committee in Antigua who will render an opinion then defer to the Clinical Dean in NYC. Our preference is to only admit transfer students whose academic background fits the same profile as a new incoming student to Basic Sciences. With less than 90 Semester Hours of undergraduate credit you may have licensing issues depending on where you will seek licensure in the US.

indierockchick4
07-29-2008, 10:43 PM
what do you guys think of my stats?
2.7 undergrad gpa, bio major
mcat will be taken this august

i do have extensive hospital/clinical volunteering hrs, etc.
leadership, research, etc.

currently taking a full load of 300-400 level courses (12 credits) this summer, and will take a full load in the fall too (15-18 credits...didnt want to take more than 12 credits this summer bc im working 40 hrs/week doing research and studying for the mcat)

thoughts? what should i aim for on my mcat? 29+??

bmh555
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
what do you guys think of my stats?
2.7 undergrad gpa, bio major
mcat will be taken this august

i do have extensive hospital/clinical volunteering hrs, etc.
leadership, research, etc.

currently taking a full load of 300-400 level courses (12 credits) this summer, and will take a full load in the fall too (15-18 credits...didnt want to take more than 12 credits this summer bc im working 40 hrs/week doing research and studying for the mcat)

thoughts? what should i aim for on my mcat? 29+??

The higher the better. Try to get your GPA up a little and you should be fine!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.