PDA

View Full Version : few questions..

blitz23
07-13-2008, 11:26 PM
hey im looking at applying to AUA straight from highschool, i live in Toronto and was wondering how tough the work load may be. Is it true that you really have to devote most of your time to studying? My grade percentages are in the mid to low 80's, do you think I will have trouble adjusting to the work load? are Caribbeans medical schools easier than medical schools in Canada or the US? ...Im still trying to decide if medicine is what i really wanna do.Thanks in advance :)

Doctor_MD
07-14-2008, 03:31 AM
If you are still trying to decide what you want to do, and undergrad is an option for you, I suggest you try college first then so that way you can get used to a heavier work load (than high school) and also different subjects to see what you're interested in/good at. The work load is hard but you won't have a hard time adjusting if you're disciplined. However, if this is not your passion then you will have a hard time forcing yourself to study all the time if you're not interested. Medical schools are not easier here, we learn the same material and take the same courses that are required in the states and Canada.

islandthrift
07-14-2008, 07:31 AM
basically the work load in undergrad is heavier than that of high school and the work load of med school is heavier than that of undergrad. You should only go to med school if you are absolutely sure otherwise you may not be able to to keep up because you want to have fun or do something else that interests you. Med school is a LOT of money for something you may or may not want. This is my favorite analogy to med school: 302 Found (http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5RapBjos3I)

Enjoy and good luck!

Fornis J. Plebney
07-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Im still trying to decide if medicine is what i really wanna do.

RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY !!!!!!!!

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/movies/slideshow/best-fight-scenes/img_13.jpg

Tipton
07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
The anatomy lab is guarded by a fierce monster with HUGE teeth.

dwpegues
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
you are young. go enjoy yourself first. if med school is something you want to do, by all means go for it; but, do not cut yourself short on enjoyment in life. go to college. there are so many things you will miss out on by not going to college. girls (or guys if you are a lady), sporting events, college life, the parties, fraternities and sororities, band, and other activities you could not even think of by not going to college. i feel medical school or any other professional school is what you do once you are ready to commit, and once you have finished the enjoyment your little heart desires. once you get into medical school, and even after you graduate, it will be nothing but work work work. go to college... enjoy yourself a little... take pre med courses and do well in them, then after a couple years apply to AUA.

Cyberia
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Also..if you go to a university first and get a degree, you'll always have that to fall back on if medicine doesnt work out. If you go to AUA for your undergrad, you'll only have an AA degree to fall back on (2 yrs of community college vs 4 years of university) if things dont work out.

DOC.p
07-14-2008, 09:01 AM
as it's said a few times, you're too young and if you're still trying to decide, then medicine is not for you.

ChodPatel
07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
do NOT come to aua after high school..make sure u got a college degree before comin here. u dont want to play wit ur life. premed credits dont transfer..dont be pressured by anyone. good luck.

cp

Tipton
07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
premed credits dont transfer..

:confused:What does that mean?

Agraphia
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
hey im looking at applying to AUA straight from highschool, i live in Toronto and was wondering how tough the work load may be. Is it true that you really have to devote most of your time to studying? My grade percentages are in the mid to low 80's, do you think I will have trouble adjusting to the work load? are Caribbeans medical schools easier than medical schools in Canada or the US? ...Im still trying to decide if medicine is what i really wanna do.Thanks in advance :)

Take a year off and make sure that medicine is really what you want to do. Then decide

FutureDoc86
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I say, if you're determined to come start your medical career early, do two years @ a community college with 90 credits, then apply to AUA for Basic Sciences. You don't want to be on this island more than you have to and you'll save lotsa money living at home with your parents and attending community college. You may not need to take MCAT, I got away without taking it, but I'm not sure if AUA will start making that mandatory in the future...

Tipton
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
You may not need to take MCAT, I got away without taking it, but I'm not sure if AUA will start making that mandatory in the future...

Only if someone wants to wrestle Mr. NS to the ground and force him to change his mind. Don't bet on AUA requiring the MCAT ANY TIME SOON.

Captain Janazah
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Only if someone wants to wrestle Mr. NS to the ground and force him to change his mind. Don't bet on AUA requiring the MCAT ANY TIME SOON.

Can you elaborate on NS's combat skills? I wish to engage him in battle.

shayloure
07-14-2008, 05:35 PM
:confused:What does that mean?

It probably means if he wanted to transfer to a school in the states for undergrad after taking some of the pre-med classes here, he'd have to retake those classes at the U.S. school.

newblood
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Can you elaborate on NS's combat skills? I wish to engage him in battle.

LOL @ Jananzy. Just Go Sign A Death Waiver...

Captain Janazah
07-14-2008, 08:20 PM
LOL @ Jananzy. Just Go Sign A Death Waiver...

You signed a Death Waiver when you came to AUA.

Tipton
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
It probably means if he wanted to transfer to a school in the states for undergrad after taking some of the pre-med classes here, he'd have to retake those classes at the U.S. school.

FYI - not necessarily true. Each university/university system has slightly different rules when accepting transfer credit from non-US colleges/universities. I would say maybe 80-85% of colleges and universities in the US would accept Premed credit from AUA: State university sytems would be the most difficult (SUNY, CUNY, Cal State, UTexas...etc.)

dwpegues
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
is 80 to 85 percent accurate? i know that most of the schools in my state, outside of community colleges that is, would not accept most aua undergrad credit. i say i know as i had aua undergrad courses evaluated by two different schools i attended (for the heck of it). most courses would not be admitted. the credit hours themselves would transfer, but not the course equivalent to anything offered at my universities. therefore, most of these courses would not contribute to a degree audit. anatomy, however, would be transferable at the state universities i attended.

Tipton
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Which courses and which schools?

dwpegues
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
i do apologize, but cannot give a rundown of the courses right now. it is very late in the evening, and am about to hit the sack. the schools i attended are louisiana state university, university of new orleans, and southeastern louisiana university.

i will re-reply when i have time.

nite

edit:
before signing off, something i remembered based on my previous comments - most/or all course load would be evaluated by the college of basic sciences at the universities i attended (the obvious, sorry). i was told in the past that it is possible to take a proficiency examination for some of the courses. the passing score for a proficiency exam varies with department, but the pass score is usually around a 70 or above. Prof. examinations are not offered for all courses, and can be offered for a fee and at the sole discretion of the department head. the crappy thing is that if you take the prof exam and do not pass it, a nice little tarnish is put onto an individual's transcript.

anyways, off to bed. best.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.