PDA

View Full Version : Advice on How to pass anatomy shelf exam

md12886
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I would like to know from all upper class students how they prepare for anatomy shelf exam? I know diff people have diff opinions on it...But It would be really helpful to hear some of the advices...we have 3-4 days to prepare between last mini and shelf....I plan to start stuying for it and would just like to get some opinions on how to score good on the shelf.

Dr. Zoidberg
07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Know your general embryology, theres about 25 questions on it and Dr. H teaches you none of it.

DOC.p
07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
when i took it, i knew probably 4 out of the 25 embryo questions

Agraphia
07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
just study first aid and do BRS and michigan questions. No big deal

FutureDoc86
07-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I highly recommend the Kaplan videos for anatomy. I think the guy who does it videos is really great-my favorite part was when he pretended he was the testis...The videos helped me A LOT for the abdomen section. As for embryo, I never touched it...

md12886
07-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the advices so far...yes I know the embryo portion is shady but thats 25 q's (17% of the test). I usually hear from people to skip or vaguely read embryo...but since I have a month to go, I am planning to prepare that. Kaplan videos sounds good...is there any other way to prepare with shelf q's? besides reading BRS or baby moore from cover to cover nd doing BRS questions....thanks again !!!

DrSpeaksSoftly
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
This may be too soon to warn you but embryology is basically your main questions on your step. (when it comes to anatomy) So it can't hurt to learn the basics when it comes to arches, pouches, and migration.

stillhopeful
07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
doc when did u take the exam? what was it like? thx for any info
:hiding:

shayloure
07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
For the shelf, I went through the chapter summaries in the BRS, all the clinical correlations in Moore, ready the High Yield Embryology pdf file in it's entirety, did Michigan questions, and watched kaplan videos with my friend.

FutureDoctor101
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
i would say do BRS questons, and if you can do those questions, you should be good; thats all i did. you ll be surprised to see few exact or similar questions.

FutureDoctor101
07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I forgot to mention, know your abdomen n pelvis in and out....

md12886
07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice...YEA i have been told abdomen n pelvis gets heavily tested :D

lptlkg
07-22-2008, 06:42 PM

californiabliss
11-09-2008, 04:12 AM
------------------------------

angermngment
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Bump for the newbies. If anyone knows please post.

jesrmagna
12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
My anatomy shelf seems like centuries ago...since 2006, but i do remember that brs was useful. i just took step 1 and what helped me learn anatomy was some posts i found on the usmleworld forum called high yield anatomy. i dont have enough posts to send the link but check out the usmleworld forum and search high yield anatomy and you will find some good stuff. good luck!

ziloe
12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I found kaplan to be a good study aide.

modern day Hero
01-04-2009, 12:27 AM
learning the material thoroughly throughout the semester from a text book and then using BRS questions followed by USMLEworld anatomy questions.

stay away from review books until the end of the semester.

isalador
02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I used to be anti-review book during the semester. But now I find it helpful to read summaries there in the beginning to get an idea of the big picture.

Like others are saying here, i think that doing questions before a shelf is probably the biggest help. I actually bought exammaster2 questions for anatomy and they were priceless. The day or 2 b4 I was really burned out so I just looked up other people's flashcards on flashcards.com for anatomy. You can quickly tell if they are from a med student or undergrad. The nice thing with that is that the other people had made mnemonics that were helpful---but i do warn that they are made by students so they can have mistakes. I was lucky in that i was interested in embryo, I had langmans's on the back of the toilet that whole semester.

docwahoo
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Agree with most of this, just do tons and tons of practice questions. You should also practice on being able to pull the pertinant information out of the question since it's such a long exam and the questions are all long with a lot of useless information. Ex; guy walks into a bar and has 5 drinks, starts playing pinball and scores high enough to get a free game, starts to sweat profusely and notices that his right arm begins to tingle. which nerve would cause this sensation? All you really needed to know is which nerve listed is located in the arm!

Tipton
03-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Kat0220
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Since you have probably taken the shelf by now any suggestions? I have to write shelfs for all subjects and i have no idea where to start. Especially for Physio and Histo. Any suggestions are helpful!

sbpeer
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
USMLE world questions helped me alot of studying for shelfs - but maybe not so much for Anatomy. BRS questions and reading Moore during the semester IMO are the best ways to prepare for the Anatomy shelf.

slfamilydoctor
10-15-2012, 06:25 AM
if you are average student reading text book and listening to lecturer will not help you . when you are close to exam go through past exam papers and answer the Question . when answer just don't find answer for particular question but read around that question on lecture note and text book .i am sure you can pass exam with high marks . that is how did
this site will give past physiology exam question

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.