PDA

View Full Version : Medical School - Military Service

jc915
07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

I would like to attend medical school in Israel. From glancing over the posted stats, I have the impression that my chances to get in are good. I emigrated from Israel to Canada when I was 14 and now I am a Canadian permanent resident with an Israeli citizenship (current status in Israel - "ben mehagrim"). The obligatory army service applies to me - my question is whether there is a way for me to obtain permission to stay in Israel for the 4 years without having to serve prior?

Please let me know if you are familiar with individuals that were in similar circumstances.

Thanks in advance,

jc915

enwyse
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I am in a similar situation to you (Born in Israel moved to America when I waas 5).

It is fairly easy to get a deferral of service while you're in school. The Technion has an agreement with the Army, so they are aware of the program, and that the students plan on leaving Israel after. Every year, you go to the Army office in Haifa, and have a 10 minute meeting to extend you're deferral another year. Once you graduate, you go back to the same rules that applied to you before you came to israel (I think no more then a 4 month stay in Israel at a time, and no more than that in a yr, I havent checked it in a while so thats off the top of my head). If you are older, 25+, a lot of the time they will waive your need to be enlisted, and you are free to be a citizen (army free).

I know of a Canadian in the program that has a similar story to yours and has also done this successfully.

Hope that helped.

jc915
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for a very useful reply. You were referring to the Technion, you think Sackler runs the same deal?

enwyse
07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
From what I heard sackler has the same deal with them. I know people there that went through it. Shouldn't be too big of an issue, unless you want to make aliyah down the line, in which case you will still be liable to serve army time, but if not you're allowed up to 4 months (or so) time per year in israel.

student-2
07-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes- sackler has the same deal. a guy in my class was a citizen but he got out of doing the service. Sackler is loaded with people who got the citizenship (add other benefits that are given with it) but found ways to get out of giving back.

jc915
07-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the helpful input...

enwyse or student-2: could you please put me in touch with a person who went through this deal? I would like to find out the specifics about whom I need to contact...

Greatly appreciated!

SWORDOFGIDION
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I would like to get this info as well. I am in a med school, and I want to do my basic clinical in Israel. I just don't know with whom I should speak.

jc915
08-09-2008, 11:25 AM
SWORDOFGIDION: Do you mean you are in Sackler now? Are you also under the "ben-mehagrim" status? If so, what year are you in now?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.