PDA

View Full Version : Regarding schools in Poland? GOOD OR BAD??

shrey
06-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently studying in the Charles First Faculty of Medicine, Prague and I was considering to transfer to one of the Polish schools because I've heard that they're quite good and that they have a more objective system of grading...Is this true?

Can someone answer these questions for me:
1) How is the education system there? Do they oral exams for finals?

2)What about accommodation? Is it in the vicinity of the university? Would getting an apartment be a better choice?

3) Are there a lot of transfer students or exchange students? (We had a few from Poland this year)

4) How are the professors? and their command of English when teaching the subject?

5) How are you able to cope with the Polish language?

6) And which are the best universities in Poland...so far I've heard that Jagiellonian and Warsaw are the best but I want to get more opinions regarding this.

7) Finally how is the living expenditure there? As in is it too expensive? And is there a lot of diversity in the university?

Thank you so much guys. I appreciate it a lot.

Savior
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently studying in the Charles First Faculty of Medicine, Prague and I was considering to transfer to one of the Polish schools because I've heard that they're quite good and that they have a more objective system of grading...Is this true?

Can someone answer these questions for me:
1) How is the education system there? Do they oral exams for finals?

2)What about accommodation? Is it in the vicinity of the university? Would getting an apartment be a better choice?

3) Are there a lot of transfer students or exchange students? (We had a few from Poland this year)

4) How are the professors? and their command of English when teaching the subject?

5) How are you able to cope with the Polish language?

6) And which are the best universities in Poland...so far I've heard that Jagiellonian and Warsaw are the best but I want to get more opinions regarding this.

7) Finally how is the living expenditure there? As in is it too expensive? And is there a lot of diversity in the university?

Thank you so much guys. I appreciate it a lot.

I believe they have more objective grading system then the Czechs and the Hungarians, we have oral/ oral finals, but its customary in most of them to have 2 or more students present, and you pick questions by chance. I heard that i.e. Budapest its usually conducted with 1 student: 1 examiner and the examiner hands out the questions. However im sure its debatable which system is most effective.

1) see above
2) getting a apartment is always better, Warsaw MU dosent have a specific campus, the departments/Teaching hospitals are spread out a bit, and the English div. dormitory is located a bit outside centrum.
3) quite a few students from Erasmus, few transfers both from polish universities, but also foreign.
4) Their command of the English language is usually very good, their teaching methods differ..so I cant give a objective opinion about that, you just have to adapt, just like anywhere else.
5) Its pretty difficult, I have pretty good clue on whats going on when I am at the hospital (the polish language course focuses on that), but its harder out in the real life. Depends on how much time u spend on it and how motivated you are about learning a new language. Its very similar to Czech (atleast thats what our polish teacher told us).
6) thats always debatable, both have been ranked pretty high...but the rankings are intended for the polish div (ofcourse both divisions take advantage of some elements of the criteria, i.e. facilities). But I would def advice someone I knew to go to Warsaw or Krakow (the latter being a much nicer city).
7) when I was in Prague last year for a couple days I feelt that things where bite cheaper over there..around the same living cost as in the states...housing is getting more and more expensive.

jgsmoothy
09-01-2008, 10:46 AM
thanks for the info

randomboycanada
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
so livin in warsaw is more expensive than the states? cause if thats the case..i suggest you try for lublin..because they have rotations in the US

Santhosh Varma
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
it is really tough to decide whether its good or bad once we are in its pretty much all over you have to cope up and get along and some ones liking may not appeal to the other but i am curious abt the teaching quality in english that is

Bluebox8
06-16-2009, 09:15 AM
There are many reasons why Lodz is a very good medical school, but I won't list them here, as the original poster seemed to be worried most about English quality. I really hope you don't come here. By that, I believe that it is just not a wise move to transfer about from one medical school to another, unless a huge, insurmountable problem presents itself. Transferring tends to puts a black mark on a student, and on the school that is being abandoned. Remember, grass always, always looks greener on the other side of a situation, and we humans are so prone as well to second-guess everything.

Bluebox8
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Hmm. Just went back to re-read original post. It was another, not the first poster, who wondered more about English quality. Guess I better stock up on the Vitamin B12 ;)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.