PDA

View Full Version : what are my chances? plz reply

stevesim89
05-26-2008, 04:57 AM
I am applying as a Canadian citizen to Australian undergraduate medical program after finishing one year of university.

I finished my freshmen year at Washington university in St. Louis.

1st semester I took and following courses and got GPA 3.54:
General Chemistry I
General Chemistry Lab I
Calculus I
Writing I
Macroeconomics
Introduction to topics in Health and Community

2nd semester I got GPA 3.70 and took:
General Chemistry II
General Chemistry Lab II
Calculus II
Principles of Biology (w/ lab) I
Introduction to Psychology.

For the ISAT test I got 98th percentile on Critical Reasoning with 100th percentile on Quantitative reasoning with 100th percentile overall.

However, for my high schools grades, I totally slacked off in senior year because I got into Wash U in early decision so my grades plummeted after december. However, before that I had 89%.

I applied to:
James Cook University
University of Tasmania
University of New South Wales
University of Western Australia
University of Western Sydney
Monash University

I would like to know my chances of getting into these schools.

tennisball80
05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey stevesim, Greething from B.C

Their six years program is like 95%+ to apply in high school average.

I think you should just give a shot.

Good luck to you anyway !

By the way, do you have any volunnteer or extracurricular exp ?

stevesim89
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
ive been volunteering in a soup kitchen in downtown vancouver in high school and currently I am volunteering in local clinics and hospitals in rural india.

but just to let you know Im pretty sure they are not asking for 95%+ for high school grades. I know 3 of my friends who went to australia for medical school and they all had between 89%~91%

neulite
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Unless I am mistaken only one of those schools, Monash, accepts international students.

claybella
06-28-2009, 08:13 AM
James Cook University and U of Western Australia takes international applicants I'm pretty sure. You can check out Australearn and Ozztrek to find the schools that accept international applicants.

redshifteffect
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM
UTAS and UNSW also accept international students.

dadoc
06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
The undergrad is for Australian HS grads only. You have 0% chance of getting into the undergrad per se. Thing is, its not part of the MBBS program, its a seperate thing that takes anywhere between 2-4 years to complete.

Finish your undergrad in Canada, apply for Canadian schools first, then Irish, then Aus.

redshifteffect
06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
The undergrad is for Australian HS grads only. You have 0% chance of getting into the undergrad per se. Thing is, its not part of the MBBS program, its a seperate thing that takes anywhere between 2-4 years to complete.

Finish your undergrad in Canada, apply for Canadian schools first, then Irish, then Aus.

Okay now I know you have no idea what you're talking about. There are several Canadians at UTAS/UNSW right now (I actually have friends who are graduating from both schools), who have done their entire undergraduate degree from Canada.

UTAS is only 1 year longer then a 4 year program, but has significantly more basic science in the curriculum. UNSW is still a traditional 6 year program, but again has some of the best basic science teaching out there.

LOL not part of the MBBS program?? WHAT? You get an MBBS degree just like at any medical school. Most of the undergraduate schools in Oz have a much better reputation/quality of graduate then postgrad schools, because only the top students get into them. In fact the top three schools in the country at the moment are undergraduate schools (though Melbourne will be changing to a graduate program).

I agree though if you are subpar then you're going to have a hard time getting into an undergraduate school. Most of these schools have a limited quota for internationals, and the ones that you're competing with are generally the best and brightest from Asia (not subpar North Americans) because these are the ones that typically apply to undergraduate schools.

The main advantage of undergraduate schools is better basic science teaching, and therefore a better chance at scoring higher on the USMLE 1. You also have smaller class sizes, and therefore better clinical opportunities, and finally the curriculum is in general better regarded and more established in Australia.

Do you just guess the information you post, or intentially mislead people?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.