PDA

View Full Version : Network54 Main Forum Page 16

Hanson
02-15-2003, 05:31 PM
To Pat Parks, Medical Board Of California
by Anonymous (no login)

Dear Pat,

We know you have visited this forum from time to time. Could you please post if the Pacific Basin University has applied to the board for approval. If yes, please inform the students if a limited or full approval has been granted.

We see once again postings on this forum claiming CA approval by schools that later turned out to be not correct. Your input will eliminate confusion on part of many.

Posted on May 18, 2000, 2:28 PM
from IP address 206.175.110.13

To Pat Parks
by Anon (no login)

Hi, I am wondering what you might know about the California College of Podiatric Medicine's new MD/DPM program. I heard they are affiliated with an MD school in Costa Rica and they are telling students thay can get an MD degree in 2 years after completing some of the DPM education. Do you know anything about this?

Posted on May 19, 2000, 11:32 AM
from IP address 205.188.196.51

DPM/MD
by Pat Park, Calif. Medical Board (no login)

I have heard of those programs in Costa Rica. They are NOT recognized in California for medical licensure. I mailed application packets to the International University of the Americas, at their request, in October 1998 and March 1999, but the medical school has not completed the application and mailed it back to me to initiate the medical school review process. The officials in charge of the DPM/MD program are fully aware that their program is not recognized for medical licensure in California. Several students who contacted me are also aware of the school's non-recognized status. They know that they cannot do student clerkships or residency training or become licensed in California until after the school applies for and receives recognition by the Medical Board of California.

Posted on May 19, 2000, 5:44 PM
from IP address 165.235.24.2

A few more questions
by Anon (no login)

I know you can't speak for other states, but wouldn't you think it is fair to say students who go through this program would have the same problems in other states? Also, it concerns me greatly that they are actively seeking students for this program, telling them they will be able to get MD residencies, licensing, etc...with no problems. They are even saying they are in the process of setting things up so students will be able to do all their MD training in the US. When I have spoken with them they are evasive and vague about how things are supposed to really work. I am starting to suspect they are preying on DPM students' fears and yearning for an MD degree. Could you keep us posted as to what is going on with this program? Also, if you don't mind, you may want to go to the Podiatry Students Forum at Network54 and post there what you said here to clear up the cofusion. Thanks.

Posted on May 20, 2000, 12:05 AM
from IP address 205.188.197.54

Untitled
by Anonymous (no login)

Dear Pat

Does this mean that foriegn medical graduates cannot practice in California even if he finishes his residency in another state (or Canada)and gets licensed after that?

Posted on May 22, 2000, 11:33 PM
from IP address 63.23.99.38

DPM/MD
by Pat Park, Calif. Medical Board (no login)

I have heard of those programs in Costa Rica. They are NOT recognized in California for medical licensure. I mailed application packets to the International University of the Americas, at their request, in October 1998 and March 1999, but the medical school has not completed the application and mailed it back to me to initiate the medical school review process. The officials in charge of the DPM/MD program are fully aware that their program is not recognized for medical licensure in California. Several students who contacted me are also aware of the school's non-recognized status. They know that they cannot do student clerkships or residency training or become licensed in California until after the school applies for and receives recognition by the Medical Board of California.

Posted on May 19, 2000, 5:53 PM
from IP address 165.235.24.2

Distance Learning Programs are NOT APPROVED by the state of California.
by Anonymous (no login)

DEAR MR NALLY

It seems from like past postings by Pat (the lady at Califonia Medical Board) Distance Learning Programs are NOT APPROVED by the state of California. I believe that means that Graduates in this program cannot practice in the state (please correct me if im wrong)

You seem to reply to every message pertaining to IUHS PBL program but who cares if you can never get a license to practice!!!

What are your comments on this issue....Please clarify......

Posted on May 23, 2000, 2:36 AM
from IP address 63.23.99.38

by IUHS admin (no login)

Many traditional campus programs at several overseas medical schools are not approved by the State of California, even our campus program, let alone our unique modified eLearning Program. THe regulations were written many years before the concept of modern telecomunications in academic use was promulgated. We have not yet applied for any recognition from California, campus program or modified eLarning Program. We respect that there is a higher barrier in some states that qualify medical schools particularly, while many rely solely on the ECFMG/USMLE process. The modified eLearning Program involves only selected postgrad students, mostly allied healthcare professionals. There is close one-to -one in person contact with a required physician Mentor, there is the need for ready access to a local hospital that has clinical sciences facilities open to the student, and there is a requirement for prescribed visits to the campus. There are weekly assessments. The program is in synchrony with that on campus. Clearly, there is much personal tuition and interaction in our modified preclinical eLearning Program -- we feel that there is more than the average student at a US or other overseas campus gets. In the clinical phase, the students enter full clerkships at US "Green Book" hospitals or similar hospitals in other countries, but with continued telecommunication with the campus -- something the vast majority of schools do not offer. We realise that this is an innovative program, but are confident that, when fully aware of the totality of what we are doing, even the traditionally more difficult US states, such as California, will be persuaded that the training and teaching are of an order that the certification will eventually ensue.... As an international medical school, we are intent on providing a high grade program for students from every country and with practice ambitions both within and without the US.....

Posted on May 23, 2000, 8:14 PM
from IP address 205.188.193.43

Untitled
by Anonymous (no login)

I am an allied health professional I am qualified for your DLP program. It seems too good to be true that the basic sciences which Ive done twice, once for my undergrad and the other for my grad can be done in a more clinically viewed way as your PBL course describes. I have no doubt that the PBL way is better for practical use in which future doctors have to start thinking that way anyways. But even though you claim it to be great and all none of your students have graduated to become MDs. It is innovative but not yet great. It is still unproven. I would be curious to see the average test score of your school compared to the national avg on the USMLES. That would be the proving ground. Even though your Elearning process might be ahead of its time and maybe everybody in the world will be soon learning this way but not now and not for a long while. The medical industry is always the last to adopt technological change in the administrative aspect. While many other industries like retail, auto, information, distributing, customer service have all gone on the web, doctors are still pumping out hand written reports. They are sticklers to change.
It takes two years or so for a school to get accredited by the state of California and since I dont think that IUHS will be applying anytime soon itll be useless for many to go there. We wont be able to practice in our home state!

Please keep us informed of any new developments

Posted on May 23, 2000, 10:14 PM
from IP address 12.72.153.101

by IUHS admin (no login)

We agree that we are in the vanguard and that it may take some time for the conservative units in medicine to recognize our and others, new efforts. However, the tidal wave of modern telecommunications is already affecting healthcare practice (telepharmacy, telemedicine, telesurgery, distance electronic diagnosis of EKG, pathology etc) and now healthcare education. Elearning for vocational studies, of which medicine is one, is making advances elsewhere at a phenomenal rate -- in medicine, other Universities, such as the medical school at James Cook University in Queensland, Australia are beginning to join the eLearning issue. We intend to build on a solid base of quality and then approach the relevant authorities that have the high barriers, like California. we believe we can show them that eLearning students at IUHS receive as uch, if not more, physical and in-person supervision than students at regular cmpus based programs, including ours. Meanwhile, if you are intent on registering solely in California you will have to consider another school that is qualified there. Many other US states, and most worlwide countries, are more accepting and less encumbered by this type of exclusivef regulation. We wish you luck in yor career endeavours....

Posted on May 24, 2000, 9:27 PM
from IP address 152.163.195.192

fInally
by Anonymous (no login)

Finally the administrators at Ross have come to their senses.
Their plan was so idiotic. To think that they could establish a school yet have no LCME accreditation was unbelievable. Didnt they think if theygot away with it other foreign schools would follow The US medical establishment has a right to accredit us schools on us soil. Because of what Ross attempted they have
has ticked off a lot of powerful people including hospital directors and residency directors. Also in the medical establishment people now know Ross in a negative way. They should have let well enough alone. They are already making millions off
their school in Dominica. And from what I saw the campus is very basic and has a worn look and feel to it. The only thing new
that i saw (jan 99) was an anatomy lab. Otherwise the buildings
reminded me of a trailor park with some palm trees ( the buildings were one story and looked like they were prefab.).
Ross should concentrate on improving the dominica campus and ideally cut back on first semester students thus improving the cut throught mentality that i was told by many of the students.
The students told me they had to be cut throat because if you fail one class you have to repeat the whole semester.

Posted on May 26, 2000, 10:05 AM
from IP address 132.177.160.135

Big $$
by Anonymous (no login)

I read this article and it is indeed very interesting especially for a Canadian such as myself. I have been accepted to a few Irish schools (Trinity, Cork) but unless you have big bucks one cannot attend. It would cost one about 30,000 CAD/yr. If that is within your ball park than perhaps you should consider Ireland because you will no doubt get a solid education there.

Posted on May 26, 2000, 5:04 PM
from IP address 152.98.96.21

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.