View Full Version : About driving in Poland.

05-22-2008, 07:00 AM
I currently have a senior license in NYS. I am still 17 and will be when i arrive in Poland. Is my license valid in EU and Poland? Do i have to be 18? Is there something important i must do before i leave NY (translation,etc..).

05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Haha no no no, we (Europeans) don't let kids drive! You'll have to wait until you turn 18; also most European countries only allow a foreign driver's license for a limited amount of time (eg. 1 year) and after that you have to apply for a local driver's license (of that European country).

05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
u could get an international driver's license from AAA, I heard its $30.

05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Personally I'm opposed to the whole idea of having an international driving permit (IDP) as it's child's play to get a license in some countries and a b*atch in others...

About the IDP..... it's only valid for 1 year... but sure you could always get a new one each year. However, it still requires the driver to be 18< so Ozzy you'll just have to wait a bit.

Since the IDP can only be obtained in the country where you got your driver's license you have to apply for it in the US. Perhaps you should prepare everything (photocopies, filling out papers etc.) and leave your license in the US so that once you turn 18 your parents/whoever can send in the application for you and then mail it to Poland, just a thought.

05-22-2008, 04:18 PM
I figured i probably have to wait till I am 18. I will probably do what you recommended with having it mailed to me. I wont be needing a car that bad in Poland anyway. I guess I have managed without it for many years and still can. I know getting a license in Poland is a real pain, would it be possible to avoid that in any way and get a Polish license without taking the Test in Poland?
Thanks for all the info.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.