PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Australian Schools

PerpetualStudent
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I have a few questions about Australian medical schools. I am from the US, but I am looking at foreign schools too. Itís not a "what are my chances" thread, I already know mine for the US, and can probably get an idea of it for foreign schools once I have a little more info.

1) Is it true that a lot of the Australian schools donít have any required prerequisites? I have searched this and have seen a few that just want a bachelors degree. But there isnít mention of Organic Chemistry or Physics. I know you have to still take the MCAT or an equivalent test, but I didnít see much mention of required classes.

2) Do any of the Australian schools offer MD or DO degrees? Most of the degrees I see listed for them are MBBS. From what I am reading it is essentially the same thing, itís just a different title. How does it work? If I were to come back to the US would it still be MBBS or would it be considered MD? I already have a 4-yr undergrad degree, so what would the options be for me if I wanted a graduate medical degree from Australia?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I have gone to other med/premed sites, but they tend to have a narrow view of foreign schools, unfortunately, so it can be hard to tell what is good info or not.

kevmeji
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
From what I understand the MBBS is just a title there is no real difference you'll just have to write the recertifications exams to get back to the united States.

kevmeji
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
oh sorry and yeah you're right, there aren't any prereqs. I applied and got an interview for ANU, Sydney and Flinders. ANU hasn't replied, Sydney gave me an offer and Flinders gave me the dreadful waiting list.

dorado
09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
what were your stats

kevmeji
09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry it took me while to get back to you.
Completed undergrad and completing a masters degree, GPA 3.59, MCAT 30N.

Hope this helps

PerpetualStudent
10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the response. I posted this so long ago that I had forgotten about it until I came across this forum again!

I've been researching more and I am going to apply to a couple of Australian Schools. I do have one more question though, if anyone could help me with it: Do any of the Australian schools do live animal labs? Please don't flame me for asking. I just really disagree with it and think there are better methods of learning, so its just not something I would participate in. Disection is okay, I just don't want any labs where we have to put an animal under anesthesia, "operate" on it, then euthanize it. I have google it and it mentions Veterinary schools doing this, but nothing for medical schools. So if anyone can give me any insight about that, I would appreciate it, particularly on Queensland.

Thanks!

devildoc8404
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
If you are interested in becoming a full physician, do NOT consider osteopathic studies anywhere outside the US, including Oz. Osteopathic training overseas is something akin to a mix of chiropractic and kinesiology (strictly osteopathic manipulation), and practitioners are not considered physicians because they do not complete medical school, like they do in the States.

(If that's your thing, that's awesome and have at it... but don't expect to be able to complete a medical residency thereafter.)

The Aussie MBBS translates to the MD degree in the States and you are eligible to apply for ECFMG from there.

joe soap
10-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the response. I posted this so long ago that I had forgotten about it until I came across this forum again!

I've been researching more and I am going to apply to a couple of Australian Schools. I do have one more question though, if anyone could help me with it: Do any of the Australian schools do live animal labs? Please don't flame me for asking. I just really disagree with it and think there are better methods of learning, so its just not something I would participate in. Disection is okay, I just don't want any labs where we have to put an animal under anesthesia, "operate" on it, then euthanize it. I have google it and it mentions Veterinary schools doing this, but nothing for medical schools. So if anyone can give me any insight about that, I would appreciate it, particularly on Queensland.

Thanks!

...umm...in medicine we work on humans ....at least last time i checked.... no reputable school would train you on animals cuz just between you and i ...we have different anatomy....:shock:....k now back to my HUMAN pathology books......BTW im glad you love animals so do i

Chopdoc
11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
In the old days it was actually very common to use live animals for physiology study in medical school. I suppose they might still do that somewhere, but I have not heard of it.

The MBBS is actually two degrees in the British education system tradition. It is recognized in the US as the equivalent of the MD and the holder is qualified to sit for the USMLE and get ECFMG certified.

However, in their system it is in fact not the equivalent of the MD. Though they are called "Doctor" they are not considered to have a doctorate level education. You can actually get an MD degree in that system. In countries that award MBBS degrees the MD refers to a higher doctorate more similar to a PhD, and is reserved for medical practitioners who do research and submit a thesis in the field of medicine.

To confuse things even more, there are MD schools in the US system that require a thesis and those that do not, in either case they award the MD degree.

PerpetualStudent
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
...umm...in medicine we work on humans ....at least last time i checked.... no reputable school would train you on animals cuz just between you and i ...we have different anatomy....:shock:....k now back to my HUMAN pathology books......BTW im glad you love animals so do i

Yeah, I know MD is for human anatomy...I was just wondering because there are schools here in the US that do stuff like that. There are a handful of schools that do a cardio lab where you deeply sedate a dog and cut open its chest to observe the heart beat in relation to things done to the vagal nerve and things of that nature (I think it is called vivisection). Then in the end they euthanize it. I know they use dogs that are froun the pound and will be put to sleep anyway, the idea is just cruel and sickening to me. I agree, not much of a point seeing as we have different anatomies.

drthanhvu
12-11-2008, 10:28 AM
HI, I'm radiologist in Vietnam. I'm looking for master course of Radiology in Australian Universities but it seem to be very difficult to get one.
would you give me some advice in this field please.
Do I have to take any examination for prerequisites if I only want to study then back to Vietnam after finishing?
if it is impossible, pls give me some other suggestion.
Thanks

icecreamcake
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
MD = MBBS Just a different name for different countries.

dadoc
02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a few questions about Australian medical schools. I am from the US, but I am looking at foreign schools too. Itís not a "what are my chances" thread, I already know mine for the US, and can probably get an idea of it for foreign schools once I have a little more info.

1) Is it true that a lot of the Australian schools donít have any required prerequisites? I have searched this and have seen a few that just want a bachelors degree. But there isnít mention of Organic Chemistry or Physics. I know you have to still take the MCAT or an equivalent test, but I didnít see much mention of required classes.

2) Do any of the Australian schools offer MD or DO degrees? Most of the degrees I see listed for them are MBBS. From what I am reading it is essentially the same thing, itís just a different title. How does it work? If I were to come back to the US would it still be MBBS or would it be considered MD? I already have a 4-yr undergrad degree, so what would the options be for me if I wanted a graduate medical degree from Australia?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I have gone to other med/premed sites, but they tend to have a narrow view of foreign schools, unfortunately, so it can be hard to tell what is good info or not.

You have to have an undergraduate degree and do the GAMSAT exam. The Australian system simply assumes that if your smart, your cut out for medicine. Thats why the medical degree is also an undergraduate course in alot of places.

Once you get your Australian degree, your going to have to put in all your effort for the USMLE simply because Australian schools do not train you for it. My friend graduated top of his class from University of Sydney and has failed the USMLE 3 times.

If I was you, I would stick to the US. Australian medicine is all about prestige and we have a tiny patient base compared to the states, so you wont experience what you would have experience in your clinical years, if you did it in the states.

Goodluck

redshifteffect
06-07-2009, 10:50 PM
dadoc,

UQ is a hole..I know a lot of people who graduated from there and they have really poor clinical skills (and admit it as well). I've worked with UQ trained docs that failed internship! Which I thought was almost impossible.

Of course you're not getting good exposure to patients, when you have a huge class size and not enough clinical facilities! Didn't you bother researching this stuff before you started medicine, or did you just take the first acceptance you got?

Think about the quality of the applicants UQ accepts. Essentially they have a 'rolling admission' and if you make the "cut off" you're in. There isn't even an interview! Sounds really 'caribbean-esque' doesn't it? With the UQ-Oschner program there really isn't any difference anymore, basically you do your final 2 years in the US. The goal of all Australian medical schools should be to train quality doctors who should be ready to practice in Australia. These are of course publicly funded institutions (with the exeption of Bond) and the Lion's share of their funding is from the tax payers purse. This is why UQs reputation is taking a nose dive in Australia.

Please, before going to any Uni where you're going to spend 250k VISIT it...what's $1500 for a flight when you're going to sink over 200k on the degree? talking to any student beforehand would have solved this problem. Every Australian here knows to avoid UQ, unless they aren't good enough to get in anywhere else.

defdena
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
You can find some more information at another thread:

valuemd.com/australian-medical-schools/178026-chances-australian-med-grad-getting-into-residency.html

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.