PDA

View Full Version : Network54 Main Forum Page 14

Hanson
02-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Your joking,Right. Dominica same living standards as St. Martin???
by Anonymous (no login)

You got to be kidding. Living in St. martin
considerable much more like living in the states than Dominica which reminds me of jurassic park.
(it can be expensive if students live alone,but the landlords in dominica know how to screw the students with rents). Have you been to Dominica??
I remember driving in a taxi from the capitalRoseau to portsmouth where schol located. It was a memorable ride along a very narrow road going up the side of a mountain with debris on road . The ross campus is plopped down in the middle of what looks like jungle. The buildings are white rectangular, almost looks like a trailor park (i'm not trying to be funny but this is what it looked like to me). The classrooms were well worn. The library was old with worn out furniture
and not so recent books (there was a nice new portrait of some woman on the wall, ? Ross's wife or mother). There was a nice anatomy lab that was huge.
I guess as AUC again becomes more popular the number of students will increase but at least they dont have a toxic environment that is produced when if you fail one class you have to repeat entire semester as you do in ross. True ross has more clinicals sites in N.Y. but AUC has some fine sites in us and G.B.as well. Some of the british hospitals offer students a very good education. You have to be very tough to live and study in Dominica. I dont think its worth the money and time to put up with all the baloney,however.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 3:07 PM
from IP address 132.177.161.235

Much ado about UK clinicals
by dr.anthrax (no login)

While US clinical sites are preferable for the North American student, there is a unique experience to be gained from clinicals in the UK. The British system is far less litigious than the American (ie less malpractice lawsuits plaguing the medical establishment), therefore a student may be able to receive more "hands-on" training. Also, less reliance on technology (diagnostic tests, etc) and more reliance on clinical intuition in the UK fosters an acquired knowledge and self-confidence that may be beneficial to the aspiring doctor. Finally, if you are willing to leave the comforts of home to seek an education in the Caribbean, or wherever, why not go the distance and obtain a real "global" education?
I'm not knocking Ross, or those who would only like to train in the US, but there are some distinct advantages to other modes of education.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 3:29 PM
from IP address 206.172.102.80

Hey Dr. A, one more question,,,,,,,,,,,,
by Mhk (no login)

How is an IMG looked upon when he/she gets back to the states after clinical rotations in UK. Is it hard to obtain a residency after doing clinicals in the UK? I do realize there are some advantages to going to the UK. Cant you at least stay in one spot? I was just wondering what the overall attitude would be to someone did there clinicals in UK? Also how about the maTCH you wouldnt have any connections in the US to help you with a residency position, <ie connections made during your US clinicals> Anyone who has done clinicals in UK and come back to obtain a residenccy, please feel free to chime in also.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 4:47 PM
from IP address 152.163.201.59

Just returned...
by Confucious (no login)

To begin with, I'm not even close to obtaining a residency spot, so I can't comment on that.

Where to begin... I've just recently returned from the UK (working through the AUC 'program'). The ~year I spent over there was probably one of the best of my life. The 'training' was what you make of it. Show up and look interested, and there's not a darn thing they won't let you do. Most of the people I know in US schools usually said something like "they let you do what?" Don't fret about getting the info, although you do have to go after it.

Upon returning to the US, my first clinical spot was a nightmare. Everything was foreign--a completely different language. A few days and you adjust and get on with it. I would recommend (sp?) NOT doing your first US rotation at a place you want to do a residency. You're not at your best right out of the gate...

Posted on Dec 8, 1999, 11:49 AM
from IP address 63.20.32.92

failing at ross
by steve (no login)

You have to be an idiot to fail a class at Ross.

Of course you have to repeat the entire semester. Medical school is supposed to be an integrative experience. If your dumb enough to fail one class- chances are you arent doing too good in the others.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 3:33 PM
from IP address 206.48.61.239

Not true
by Anonymous (no login)

There have been some very good students that failed one class only. also what happens if you get ill on the island from all the interesting pathogens that dominica offers. Will Ross cut you some slack? No.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 3:53 PM
from IP address 132.177.161.235

I'll bet IUHS doesn't mind either
by Looking (no login)

You may make money on this exchange, which is fine. Just don't judge others for doing the same thing. I'll bet IUHS has had a lot of interest based on these posts as well. Good for BOTH of you.

By the way, it's nice that you've passed your first two steps and graduated, but I wouldn't be too cocky if I were you. You've done well, but it hardly qualifies you to sage status. My wife and many others have gone through the same process, passed their boards and are currently practicing in the US, yet they don't pat themselves on the back quite so much.

Remember: a little humility might help to even out your accomplishments. Good luck to you in the future.

Posted on Feb 9, 2000, 8:00 PM
from IP address 152.163.213.78

Thanks
by Dominicanightmare (no login)

Like I said, when you have been through it, you can talk, until then your comments and opinions are soft and fluffy and what I'd expect from a wannabe.

If I seem cocky great, because when it comes to the IMG arena....you are the pee-on, and when a pee-on tries to muscle me into submission....it doesn't go down very well....do me a favor, when and if you ever get to do clinical rotations in the US, try telling your attending physician that you think he is cocky for telling you that you have a limited understanding of his field of specialty....believe me he wont say it with out attitude, and it may be just his attitude that he says it with....I'm sure you'll get the same response.

I'll pat myself on the back as much as I want....you pat your self on the back for having a pleasent encounter with Mr Nally...what the hell is all that about?

Oh and finally...I dont care if IUHS is successful, I hope they are, I hope every IMG is, so if you posting here helps them to prove them selves then post on! The IMG experience is all about beating the odds. Hey pitty your wife cant pull some strings for you huh, did you stuff up along the way?

Posted on Feb 10, 2000, 7:27 AM
from IP address 166.62.150.74

He was right
by Looking (no login)

Damn, man!...LOL I think it was Nally who pegged you as an adolescent, and he was so right. Your first year of residency will be a humbling experience. I just hope you don't choke on all the crow you'll be eating!

Lotsa luck, genius! You're going to need it!

Posted on Feb 10, 2000, 1:59 PM
from IP address 205.188.199.198

Thanks for the vote of confidence

Wow, you really are getting upset here aren't you!

Fact remains, whether I am an adolecent or not, whether I get humbled in residency or not, there are a few things I do have that you dont!

Firstly, I have respect for those that have gone before me and that have far more experience than I do, and secondly...I'll be in a residency this year.....and you will be still wondering which school to go to!

Now dont take this personally, but you dont know much about much, so rail on wannabe IMG!!!!!!!

PS Are you sure your not Mini-Nally?

Posted on Feb 10, 2000, 4:44 PM
from IP address 166.62.150.139

Sorry to hurt your feelings
by Looking (no login)

Sorry to hurt your feelings little one, but it would take more than a few inarticulate jabs from a "big fish in a small pond" to get under my skin.

Since you are so gifted, you'll notice that IUHS and its cronies are located in Florida. My IP address is in the midwest, but again I'm expecting too much from you. So, put down that mirror, wipe off your milk mustache and surf the Web to rid the world of wrong-doers ... afterall, you're a super-hero!

Posted on Feb 10, 2000, 5:42 PM
from IP address 152.163.197.184

Seems like I have done more than get under your skin!

Man you are really aggitated aren't you.

For someone who claims to be "Holier than thou" you sure take things to the gutter fast.....let me save you the trouble of wondering which med school to attend....dont go to any, you will take things so personal and get all wound up an end up being committed....besides you'll fail out long before the boards!

And now Mini-Nally, goodbye, I dont want to deal with a wannabe loser any more, so talk to the HAND!

Posted on Feb 10, 2000, 9:46 PM
from IP address 166.62.150.184

Good-bye
by Looking (no login)

Finally you're right about something. It is time to end this pointless encounter. I really shouldn't be verbally sparring with an unarmed man ... excuse me, I mean child.

You may have some of the students/potential students who read this forum believing you're some kind of sage, but I'm sure most of us see you for who you really are ... a pitiful Web-surfer who needs the admiration of others to boost his ego.

Keep on swimming in this "little pond," for I'm certain it's the largest venue as you'll ever experience.

Good-bye, little one.

Posted on Feb 11, 2000, 5:38 AM
from IP address 152.163.201.182

WHERE AM I DOING MY CLINICALS
by st. matthews 3rd year (no login)

I chose to do my third year in Mexico because I am bilingual and did not want to spend a year in England. California is tough but not impossible, if you call the California Medical Board, Pat Hines will tell you directly that she has encouraged Dr. Thornton to submit the application. It cost 20,000 for this process. It is more of an investment than it is difficult. I am not sure about the situation in New york, but personally I am a New yorker who knows that they NEED and DEPEND on FMG's and IMG's to fill a lot of their slots.

Posted on Feb 22, 2000, 2:14 PM
from IP address 209.66.202.215

Quality is not something self-appointed......it is rather peer and accrediting committee appointed.

Time will tell, I have said it before and I say it again, I hope you succeed. I just want to make very sure that the new comers realize the risks involved with attending a foriegn medical school, let alone a brand new one with no proven track record....I hope in the future I find myself meeting your graduates practicing in the US, and then I will glady pat you on the back....until then, please new and prospective students, beware, stick to those schools with proven track records, established US clinical spots, and those that have been accredited by US State accrediting boards (such as Ross, AUC and St Georges).

DR. GRIMM, PAT PARKS OR ANYONE PLEASE ADVISE ME, SIX ATTEMPTS TO PASS STEP ONE
by In Tears (no login)

Thank all of you who responded to my post, especially the person who took the time to post the
licensure information. I am not as emotionally distraught. I am a U.S citizen attending a foreign
school. I attended a very reputable LCME U.S medical school back east. I finished all the basic
sciences there in good and regular standing. My school only allowed 3 attempts at step 1 however
and I was dismissed in good and regular standing. I completed 2 rotations there with passing grades
and honors. I am at the foreign school completing my clinicals. I also have an M.S.P.H in toxicology
which I obtained at a U.S graduate school. Will any of this help my chances for residency????? is it
advantageous to have the M.S.P.H and basic sciences completed at a U.S school?

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 1:05 PM
from IP address 209.66.202.141

Untitled
by Anonymous (no login)

Please in tears would you stop asking the same question. I really think you have recieved all the advice you are going to get. GO AWAY!

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 1:09 PM
from IP address 216.190.8.114

PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM
by In Tears (no login)

listen idiot, the purpose of this forum is to get advice from those that know and unfortunately comments from those that have nothing better to do than waste time on a computer. I will continue to ask for advice until "I" and only "I" feel that I have gotten all the "FACTS" and can make an appropriate decision. This is my life, career and future I am contemplating. Maybe you take such decisions lightly but I don't. I hate to stoop to your level but you should get the **** off this forum. You must really be a low life if you take time to waste my time. Listen stupid if you see a post by me there is a mouse arrow that you can use to skip my post and go harass somebody else. Grow up and get a life jerk.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 1:17 PM
from IP address 209.66.202.141

Get out of medicine!
by Anonymous (no login)

Here is my advice for the person who is unable to make a decision for her self. Get out of medicine. If you can't pass the usmle in 6 tries I really doubt anyone would want you as their doctor.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 1:29 PM
from IP address 216.190.8.114

To in tears
by Don't cry (no login)

I have followed your pleas for advice, assistance, opinions, etc., in wonderment. I believe that the people who gave you sympathetic suggestions were kind beyond belief- sainthood sort of replies. I think the people who "blasted" you only said what many people thought, but refrained from replying. You, however, have reponded in such extreme manners (best friends with those who were kind and cussing out those who were brutally honest) that it makes me tend to believe that you have some issues that are beyond this forum. The profound inconsistency of your educational background, combined with your persistent seeking of information from total strangers whose credentials you can't possibly verify, makes me very concerned for you. I highly suggest that you seek the advice and counsel of practicing physicians and instructors that you already know. Find real life mentors who can provide you specific advice. You mentioned what you believed was the purpose for this forum. I don't think the forum is structured to give you the best advice you need, b/c your situation is rather unique. I believe the forum best applies to general questions and problems that many students share in common. My words are meant kindly. Best of luck to you.

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 4:32 PM
from IP address 152.163.207.66

Please leave this topic
by Doctor Grim (no login)

You have already gotten all the advice and encouragement that this forum will offer. If you want any more hand-holding you will have to go elsewere. The dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. There is nothing more we can do. G

Posted on Mar 13, 2000, 4:35 PM
from IP address 209.8.134.61

stop crying
by nutmeg (no login)

In tears,
stop being such a frickin baby and get on with your life. What are you going to do if someone from this board tells you that you have no chance at getting a residency? Are you going to quit med school? . . . I didn't think so. So just shut the f**k up an worry about finishing med school and stop whinning!!!

Posted on Mar 14, 2000, 3:54 PM
from IP address 156.111.68.154

Don't listen to those morons who are rude to u
by Anonymous (no login)

I think if u still want to be a doctor, keep trying to pass the USMLE. u might not be able to be a brain surgeon but u can probably be a general practician, pathologist, etc. Maybe u could try another study habit, study longer, etc....

what was your MCAT and GPA?

Posted on Mar 17, 2000, 1:06 PM
from IP address 129.237.40.103

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.