PDA

View Full Version : Any Information?

Chicago13
04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Hello All.....
I was wondering if there is someone who is currently attending this school.
How do you like the island? the school? the professors? the dorms? life on the island? how tough are the classes? do you use cadavers?
I attended a Caribbean school and loved the teachers and classes, but the island was tooooooooooo small that I had to leave, it may sound funny to some but I am from a big city and could not stay on the island.
I was also wondering about the stats of the accepted students if available.
Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Skipper
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
You realize all caribbean islands are islands and non are BIG CITIES. It probably would of been best to stay at one school, especially not wise to transfer to a new and unproven school. You are just asking for licensing problems.

skipper

inthenowsl
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I am not a student at COMHS but I know the school very well, and will try to answer your questions:

Island - St. Lucia is large in population by Caribbean standards, with 160,000 population. The school is small, and has been growing slowly by design, so as to make sure it works well.

Student living is in private residences at the present time, and are inexpensive and nice. The island is pleasant, and easy to get around.

Cadavers are used, and there is a MS in Clinical Anatomy.

COMHS has just moved to the south of the Island, to a more rural area, but is about 1 hour from Castries, which is the biggest city.

The school is difficult, but fair. The commitment is to make sure you are prepared for clinical training in teaching hospitals in the US.

COMHS is only about 6 years old, and has grads in residency in New Jersey, Illinois, Virginia, Tennessee, and come July, Michigan.

If you are looking for an easy way to get an MD, this isn't it, but if you want to be trained by highly competent profs, and get lots of ICM during pre clin training, then you might want to explore further.

I know they are about to build a new campus that will rival the "big guys", and will be completed in about two years.

Hello All.....
I was wondering if there is someone who is currently attending this school.
How do you like the island? the school? the professors? the dorms? life on the island? how tough are the classes? do you use cadavers?
I attended a Caribbean school and loved the teachers and classes, but the island was tooooooooooo small that I had to leave, it may sound funny to some but I am from a big city and could not stay on the island.
I was also wondering about the stats of the accepted students if available.
Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

inthenowsl
04-28-2008, 04:08 PM
You realize all caribbean islands are islands and non are BIG CITIES. It probably would of been best to stay at one school, especially not wise to transfer to a new and unproven school. You are just asking for licensing problems.

skipper

COMHS isn't all that new, and has excellent clinical training sites in US teaching hospitals, primarily in the Chicago and DC areas. Students tend to be a bit older, because they have a partial distance program for students with healthcare backgrounds.

Don't apply if you aren't willing to work VERY HARD.

intheknowsl

Skipper
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
The ultimate question for a school is how many grads are licensed in the USA and what states? Partial Distance Program is very questionable and can lead to licensing issues depending on the state.

Skipper

CARICOM-MED
05-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Stick with medical schools with solid track record producing licensed MD in most states.
As long as you can pass the boards, you should be ok, however, most med schools in the Caribbean don't do a good job in preparing students for the boards.

Dr. Thwaites
09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
How long has the school been holding classes?

eskimo2008
10-13-2008, 12:06 AM
I think the answer to the basic question is -- how badly do you wanna become a doctor ? And especially if you cant get into one of the US med schools or the top "big" carib schools then you gonna have to grind it out at one of the smaller ones.

Phrozen
11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
lol I saw the owner of this school talk at a fundraiser a few months ago.

Definitely stick to the tested and proven schools. There is absolutely NO reason to go for an unproven school. This means first consider schools with Cali approval, and then NY approval (but no Cali).

inthenowsl
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Would you buy a car or even a television set on the advice of a stranger who probably has never seen the item in question, or have any knowledge of the product. Probably not.

Why then would a prospective medical student make a decision about something as important as his/her medical education without personally by speaking with faculty, staff and students, visiting the school, finding out about clinical training of that school, and determining first-hand what school would be best for him/her?

Given the world-wide doctor shortage, and given the fact that US medical schools can only accommodate 50% of QUALIFIED applicants, it only makes sense that new schools be established to help alleviate the doctor shortage and to provide qualified US students with a good medical education.

Destiny University presently has an excellent campus in St. Lucia, which will be expanded with completion of a 30 million dollar campus within a year. Its students do their core clinical training in TEACHING HOSPITALS in the USA and elsewhere, which allows students to be showcased for residency programs, to work along side of US medical students, and to accurately assess their own skills.

Destiny University may not be for you, but don’t you owe it to yourself to personally find out as much about Destiny and other medical schools as you can before you make your decision?

Some schools use Value MD to trash competition. You will spend a fortune to attend medical school. Make a wise choice by visiting websites, asking questions of school representatives, and even scheduling a visit to the various campuses. You will be an educated consumer, and more comfortable with your choice.

BinFormed
02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Montana Tech & Destiny University Partner to Enhance Educational Opportunities
2/11/2009 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Montana Tech of the University of Montana and Destiny University School of Medicine and Health Sciences have partnered to enhance educational opportunities offered to students. This partnership allows Montana Tech students, with a “B” average and a Bachelor of Science degree in either Biology or Chemistry, to receive automatic acceptance into Destiny University.

The partnership will help achieve Destiny University’s goal to make medical school more accessible for current and prospective students, and address the shortage of doctors in Montana and across the nation. The partnership will provide an avenue for Montana Tech students to automatically be accepted to Destiny University and ultimately increase the number of graduating physicians from Destiny University.

“We are pleased to form this partnership with Destiny University. Montana Tech is always happy to present new and exciting opportunities to our students. This partnership, which lessens the uncertainty associated with pursuing a career in medicine, is good for our students, for Montana, and for the nation,” said Dr. Doug Coe, Dean of the School of Letters and Sciences at Montana Tech. “We look forward to seeing an increase in the number of Montana Tech students entering medical school and eventually practicing medicine.”

###

ABOUT DESTINY UNIVERSITY
Destiny University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Destiny University)was established in 2001 with the goal of combining traditional education and modern technology to train Physicians worldwide. Destiny University operates a US-style (4 year) medical curriculum. Destiny University is located in Saint Lucia, West Indies, with its U.S. Information Office located in Butte, Montana.

ABOUT MONTANA TECH
For over 100 years, Montana Tech has earned a reputation as one of the finest science, engineering, and technical colleges in the world. Montana Tech is a leader in undergraduate and graduate education and research in the Pacific Northwest in engineering, science, energy, health, information sciences and technology. Montana Tech has been selected by the Princeton Review as one of the nation’s best institutions for undergraduate education. Tech is also ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the 3rd Top Public Baccalaureate College in the West.

dr2rlr
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I am a former student of COMHS.

They are now known as DESTINY University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, located in Viex Fort, St. Lucia.

I would strongly advise AGAINST having any dealings with these people.

I have done quite a bit of extensive research regarding this school, since I left and they have a proven , very bad track record.

They have been involved in several lawsuits, one in state of Oregon, where the Oregon Department of Justice shut them down for operating an "unlicensed" medical school and misrepresenting their legal status as well as their status regarding preparing students for successful completion of medical school. Credits earned by students were deem worthless.

I have also researched, every accrediting agency located in the Caribbean (CAAM-HP, FAIMER, ACCM, ECFMG and the United States (US Department of Education and NCFMEA, to find that they are not "accredited" by any legal, authorized accrediting agency. They are not listed with any international/foreign agencies as being even recognized.

Contacted St. Lucia Ministry of Health- Accreditation and Examinations Unit, only to find they cannot even verify their " supposedly provisional accreditation".

They do not have an "excellent campus", in fact, as of currently, there is no campus at all. They do not have any proper laboratory facilities( such as a fully equipped) Anatomy lab and definitely no cadavers!

I have experienced them to be LIARS, CON-ARTISTS, FRADULENT AND POSSIBLY OPERATING A SCAM soley for FINANCIAL GAIN. They are not seriously concerned with the well being and success of their medical students.

Also, Maine Department of Education has them listed as " Unaccredited Post-Secondary Educational Institution and listed as "Type F" - operating illegally in a foreign country and operating as a "scam".

The sole investor - Mr. ***** Singh, has been disciplined three times by the Office of Securities Commission from Canada, for operating and promoting "an illegial tax shelter scheme". All of his business, are named "DESTINY...". Hence, DESTINY University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.

I would strongly advise you not to get involved with these people, like I did. I trusted them and they have lied and they have burned me badly.

Most importantly, conduct your own independent investigation and research and learn for yourself, I did, only to learn a hard lesson - Hindsight is 20/20.

dr.thunder
02-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I do know for a fact that they are building a new campus in St. Lucia. But I dont think they have any students currently. The building they have prensented on their website is a bar/restaurant.

classof2008
03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I would really look for a Destiny graduate to vouch for all thats being written about the school...a lot of big bucks involved here!

IAUmed
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
this is all very interesting

Johny123
05-04-2010, 02:01 AM
It is not a bad idea to stay in island. Life is not very tough there.

sarcdoc
07-04-2010, 07:04 PM
As a destiny student I hesitate to post around here. It seems that some are convinced that the school I have been attending does not exist.:crazy:

Stealth medical school....how appropriate for a retired Recon Operator. lol

I feel even more high speed, low drag, belt fed, air-cooled and water tight.

sarcdoc
08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Well, another semester and the school is still here...or am I hallucinating? I must be hallucinating the AIU building just up the street and the green hills and sandy beaches, the "bon jour's" I get walking the streets...purely auditory manifestations of an altered mental status. lol

I better study some more in case these finals are actually real.

sarcdoc
08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
The building they have prensented on their website is a bar/restaurant.

I know for a fact that "restaurant" is full of medical books and classrooms and the classrom on the left of the entrace is having A/C issue but is still cool enough to learn in and will be just as cool as the classroom on the right very soon.

It is not a restaurant. get it? Y'all crack me up.

PartyPooper
10-07-2010, 12:11 PM
bump bumpity bump bump

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.