PDA

View Full Version : Options after finishing school?

fc337
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
What are the options one has after finishing med school in Poland. I would like to stay in Europe and practice in a country like France, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, or Denmark.

BTW, I have a USA citizenship and already completed a bachelors in science from a university here in america.

punjabi
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately I can only give you information about Sweden, but I suspect that Norway and Denmark have similar routines...

After completing medical school in Poland you get your MD, but in order to practice in Sweden you need to do 18 months of residency and then you may apply for a medical license. Norway used to have a medical proficiency test, like a simplified version of the USMLE, but they abandoned it a few years ago (or perhaps you don't need to take it if you graduate from a medical school from a EU member country). However, you still need to be able to speak the language (Swedish/Norwegian/Danish), but thats shouldn't be a problem. About 40% of all current medical doctors practicing in Sweden got their license from a country other than Sweden (eg. Germany/Poland/Hungary). Lots of hospitals from various countries throughout Sweden travel to various parts of Europe (Germany in particular) and recruit new doctors, so language might not be a major issue if you're willing to learn a Nordic language.

chexpool
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, you are from a EU school, so you can practice in the EU anywhere you like. You just have to pass the language tests and maybe some medical things that i guess you may call minor after finishing school.

Aside from that if you have a diploma from an EU medical school and EU passport. all you need to do is get your medical registration.

Many of our Prof.'s do just that either practice in the UK, Germany, and Italy.

GL.

GMC | International Medical Graduates - important information (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/work_permits/index.asp)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.