PDA

View Full Version : Significance Of TERI filling for CH 11 Bankruptcy

nuclearmedicinetech
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Any effects to students currenly using TERI and those who plan to borrow from TERRI? What will be the outcome following May Revision?

KarmaInsight
04-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Any effects to students currenly using TERI and those who plan to borrow from TERRI? What will be the outcome following May Revision?

I strongly believe tuition will fall across the board in the short term. Look how many Carib schools are going to be hurting. You think Saba is going to fill all those seats with cash paying students? I'd expect to hear something shorty about a "temporary reduction due to blah blah teri" crap or something. Lets see what happens.

KingMo
04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I strongly believe tuition will fall across the board in the short term. Look how many Carib schools are going to be hurting. You think Saba is going to fill all those seats with cash paying students? I'd expect to hear something shorty about a "temporary reduction due to blah blah teri" crap or something. Lets see what happens.

I've never heard of a school doing "temporary reductions" for tuition...is that common or relatively heard of in schools? Seems like something logical to do, but something that will be too politically involved and continually put off to the point of never actually being done.

thomasfx10
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I think one of the current students need to call them or go into the office instead us guessing.

I won't be applying for another year, so I am sitting on the sidelines hoping they do get a better loan system ... 25K a year or every two semesters ... (We still have yet to determine which is correct) .. is better than nothing.

Any volunteers?

tv2b
04-10-2008, 08:42 PM
doesn't that Saba have Student xpress loan and VA loan too (?) .. i saw it in their brochure along w/ Teri :confused: ..

Boulderunner
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
saba lost health x press along with all the other caribbean schools. And VA is only for veterans and they are only supplemental. They dont cover all costs or tuition. Teri is the ONLY option right now for americans, and without a cosigner you cant borrow anywhere near enough to cover tuition and expenses. They HAVE to do something quick or a lot of students, myself included are screwed.

KarmaInsight
04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
saba lost health x press along with all the other caribbean schools. And VA is only for veterans and they are only supplemental. They dont cover all costs or tuition. Teri is the ONLY option right now for americans, and without a cosigner you cant borrow anywhere near enough to cover tuition and expenses. They HAVE to do something quick or a lot of students, myself included are screwed.

They aren't doing anything to fix the problem. Only solution is to do some kind of payment plan or theres going to be alot of empty seats.

Boulderunner
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
well they just emailed us and said that if nothing else is working out, the parent company is going to provide tuition asistance. But it will only cover tuition I belive so we still have to come up with living expenses. I think they are goint to get us to try and use the davenport thing to get the rest of the money. I just dont think I can handle any more work on top of med school so I dont really want to get an MBA.

thomasfx10
04-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I just dont get it ... SABA is one of the Big 4 and they are pushing you to the Davenport option. I have went to the Davenport website and you will have to pay an additional 20K to get your MBA not to mention the time to get it ... Med. School is tough enough without worrying about money ...

I was over in the SMU forum ... They are now going to provide financial assistance and from what I understand AUA did the same ... I hope it is enough. ...

Can anyone post that email they got from SABA ... Thanks!

rokshana
04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I just dont get it ... SABA is one of the Big 4....

and this is where there is a separation between Big 3 and Big 4...

in terms of education, clinicals, residency match rates etc, you can talk about saba in the same breath as sgu, ross, and auc, but when it comes to money, saba is not in the the same league...simply because the other 3 are Title IV schools and get federal loans.

While there may be issues with who will be the lenders and if there will be greater scrutiny for gradplus loans, the students at sgu, ross, and auc are assured of getting loans.

awelchnp
04-28-2008, 12:56 AM
and this is where there is a separation between Big 3 and Big 4...

in terms of education, clinicals, residency match rates etc, you can talk about saba in the same breath as sgu, ross, and auc, but when it comes to money, saba is not in the the same league...simply because the other 3 are Title IV schools and get federal loans.

While there may be issues with who will be the lenders and if there will be greater scrutiny for gradplus loans, the students at sgu, ross, and auc are assured of getting loans.
Having a hard time figuring out how this is a constructive contribution to the discussion. Just my 2 cents.

golfman
04-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Just because you don't like the message she brings doesn't mean it isn't a great point. I agree with her completely.

mower1000
04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know the percentage of current students borrowing from Teri? I'm gong to guess it is pretty high. The school certainly has every incentive to be beating the bushes to find a new lender--their future probably depends on it too.

I do wish the school did a better job of announcing these changes on their website. I imagine most people who are researching potential schools to attend need to see that a school is actively addressing their student loan problems, otherwise they may dismiss Saba, and other similar schools, outright. I'm assuming most people are like me and end up surfing the boards and end up relying on the news we pick up thru the postings. Rumors have a way of filling up the lack of official information.

Good luck to everybody out there struggling with getting enough money to finish!

thomasfx10
04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I am on the sidelines waiting to see what is up before I apply. I am sure many other are as well. 90 days to repay back loans after graduation will not work for me.

maserati
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I am on the sidelines waiting to see what is up before I apply. I am sure many other are as well. 90 days to repay back loans after graduation will not work for me.

90 days post grad to pay back!?

... this is for Teri/Canhelp?

That is riduculous. I didn't even know about that.

Mike77
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I think you meant you BEGIN MAKING PAYMENTS 90 days after graduation :).

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.