View Full Version : Network54 Main FOrum Page 13

02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
by Hawk (no login)

I did Int.Med there. Docs are super nice and very americanized. You get class 5 days per week from 8-12 in the am then you do rounds in the Red Cross clinic on the pts their. Than you spend 2 days per week in the big national hospital which is just 2 blks away. All in all, the place was good and much better than the dominican Rep. You have alot of flexibility if you need it, some students never showed up ( but they were pakis,self explanatory), they paid off the teachers I assume. this goes on in most other countries as well, not just mexico. The docs would try to answer all your questions and most of them are as good as US docs. Living in El Paso is good too. I used to drive to the border of the free bridge and park my car in the high school, then take a bike to the hospital in mex. It is only 2.5miles in. One thing, don't drive in mexico unless you get insurance from a Mexican insurance comp. The Mex gov does not honor any US insurance company no matter if your US insurance comp says you are covered, that is total bull****.

good luck

I Know
by Whomever (no login)

Ross, AUC, and St. Georges are the only caribbean medical schools recognized by the state of CA for clinical clerkships, residency, and licensure at this time. The process by which a foreign medical school can be recognized by CA is long and thorough. It takes approximately two years and lots of paperwork and site visits by the foreign schools liason and its committee of the CA Medical Board for recognition. To verify this information, you want to contact Pat Parks of the CA Medical Board in Sacramento. She is the Foreign Schools Liason.

Hope this eases your mind in any way or makes you consider other alternatives.

Posted on Oct 23, 1999, 6:11 PM
from IP address

Thank you! Does AUC recent clinical loss in CA has any affect on allowable licensing to practice in
by anonymous (no login)

Without your inputs, I would think that the matter only relates to clinical rotations permitted in CA. I thought that any foreign medical schools that listed in the WHO would be fine. I almost made the wrong decision in going to SABA instead of Ross. Does AUC recent clinical rotation loss in CA has any affect on allowable licensing to practice in CA? Why was AUC lost its clinical rotation sites in CA?

Posted on Oct 25, 1999, 3:13 AM
from IP address

by Anon (no login)

At this point in time, it should have no effect. This loss is probably due to a dispute over fees that the university has to pay in order to send candidates to a particular teaching hospital, such as Kern County Medical Center. Remember that AUC has has lost both its original campus and federal Stafford loans for a while. This might be what is affecting the finances for clinicals.

Posted on Oct 25, 1999, 3:39 AM
from IP address

Why AUC lost fed Stafford loans?
by Anonymous (no login)

Thank you for the logical points that you have made. What do think the main reasons AUC lost the federal Stafford loans? Does AUC have fed Stafford loans now? Is it because AUC school lost its campus during vacanol activities or due to their students' low USMLE passing rates, or due to the AUC's a change in school curriculum or due to too many loan default by AUC students? Simply don't know and just curious! :)))

Posted on Oct 25, 1999, 5:57 PM
from IP address

Losin' it
by Doctor Grim (no login)

Nobody really knows why the school lost the Stafford loans. It has nothing to do with the default rate by students, it was an internal paperwork thing. There is some speculation that it had to do with the move to St. Maarten. AUC has a fair USMLE pass rate, and that doesn't really affect loans anyway. There was not really a change in the cirriculum, so that couldn't have been it either. So basically, I have no idea. I believe it was a problem with the administration, but everything is straight now, G

Posted on Oct 26, 1999, 11:51 AM
from IP address

Wrong school?
by MK (no login)

You didn't necessarily make the "wrong" choice. Give Saba a chance. You may be allowed to transfer in the future, if you are earnest about California clinicals; or you can reapply to other schools right now. First and foremost, you are looking at becoming an MD, the details will follow.

Posted on Oct 25, 1999, 2:59 PM
from IP address

license to practice, not clinical
by Anonymous (no login)

Clinical rotations and residency in California are nice to have, but it is not a must for me. I'm worried about obtaining a license to practice in CA at the end of my residency. Currently, SABA is not approved for anything (neither clinical rotations nor residency nor license to practice) in CA because they have not submit their application to the Medical Board of CA even though they had requested the application for approval way back in 1997. If I were to go to SABA, then I am really putting myself on the edge in hoping that SABA would one day submit the application to MEdical Board of CA for approval by the time I complete my residency. For the transfer option, I am not real know of the chances of transferring to medical schools that have CA approval and how much of the hassles that would be such as whether I have to submit all of my undergraduate transcripts again or just medical school records only, interview, etc... If anyone has gone through or knew someone who has gone this process, please share. Any thoughts, comments, and/or advices are greatly appreciated by me and other interested students regarding the matter. So please shine a light on us! :)))

Posted on Oct 25, 1999, 5:50 PM
from IP address

SABA has not apply
by Anonymous (no login)

I did check with the Med Board of CA. SABA did request the application in 1997, but they have not submit the application in for whatever the reasons. To properly classify SABA regarding its CA approval status, I would say SABA is "not a listed" Carib schools. I do have a list of which schools in Carib & Dominican Republic that are approved and disapproved.

Posted on Oct 26, 1999, 10:14 PM
from IP address

by Whomever (no login)

When you mentioned the "Big Three", I'm guessing you're stating those schools in the Caribbean. If so, then YES. Pat Parks, the Foreign Schools Liason for the CA Medical Board, did not mention all the schools so therefore you might want to verify the carib schools for yourself. I don't know which school you are currently attending or intending on attending but you first might want to contact the states you are interested in obtaining licensure in and receive a copy of their requirements as a foreign medical graduate. Some states including CA requires recognition first and foremost before any clerkships, residencies, and licenses are granted. If you so happen to luck out and do a rotation at a teaching hospital but yet your school is not recognized by CA, then all that time is for nothing. I ask you to please verify this information for yourself. I'm just giving you the basic details of my conversation with Pat Parks. I'm not trying to mislead or redirect anybody who reads this forum unlike those individuals who do not actually have a contact name.

Posted on Nov 4, 1999, 3:26 PM
from IP address

Yes, but...
by Lookitup (no login)

You may not be able to do a clerkship or go into a residency from an "unapproved" (by CA) school, but the picture changes drastically once you have gone though a residency and are licensed to practice in another state. My research (just reading an AMA publication with specific references to IMG's and state by state licensure requirements) suggests that there is full reciprocity/endorsement once you've finished GME and acquired licensure in another state. They may require you to take the SPEX, which seems to be like the CSA, and come in for an interview, but licensure seems quite probable.

Could you do all of us a favor though and call and talk to Mrs. Pat Parks and ask her just how Saba and other grads of "unapproved" schools might be licensed in CA? I'm sure there's a way!

Posted on Nov 5, 1999, 3:26 AM
from IP address

Still not true
by Anonymous (no login)

Doesnt matter if you finished your residency in another state. Reciprocity does not apply toIMG .
You have to document everything AGAIN.

Posted on Nov 5, 1999, 2:10 PM
from IP address

More than 50 jurisdictions
by Lookitup (no login)

There are more than fifty jurisdictions in which one can be licensed to practice medicine in the US. Each of these has different rules, but many allow reciprocity and issue a license through "endorsement" to physicians who are currently licensed in another US jurisdiction IF they meet certain standards set by the individual licensing authority.
In most cases, anyone applying for licensure has to "document everything AGAIN". That's kinda what the licensure process is about, making sure you are who you say you are and you possess the education you say you do. It's true for everyone. To make a blanket statement that reciprocity does not apply to IMG's is just plain misinformed.


Posted on Nov 6, 1999, 1:47 AM
from IP address

Licensure in California
by Anonymous (no login)

The three Caribbean schools that are approved by the California Medical Board for licensure are AUC, St. Georges, and Ross.

California is very strict and they have a set of criteria that must be met to gain licensure.

Obtaining a license from another state will not help either.

If you have any questions, Pat at the Calif. Med. Board can answer them.

Posted on Nov 12, 1999, 7:44 AM
from IP address

by MD2B (no login)

Thanks. Do you have the phone # or email address of Pat? So I guess reciprocity won't be any good? I've heard so many different things regarding this matter. Do the big three take transfers at all? I would like to practice in Cal because that's home.

Posted on Nov 12, 1999, 12:51 PM
from IP address

Pat Park's e-mail
by Pat Park (no login)

Here's my e-mail address: [email protected] For everyone's information, there is NO system of "automatic reciprocity" in California whereby the problem of attending/graduating from an unrecognized or disapproved medical school is overcome or shoved under the rug because the individual has a license in another state. If a new foreign medical school would like its students/graduates to be able to train in or become licensed in California, the burden is on medical school officials to apply for recognition of its medical education program in California. Our process is very fair.

Posted on Nov 12, 1999, 1:13 PM
from IP address

Listen up...
by Whomever (no login)

Listen up, whoever you are. I've been noticing that you've been asking the same 'ol questions throughout this forum regarding the same 'ol subject matter of being licensed in CA. You want suggestions/opinions/answers from people on this forum and they all give you basically the same answers/suggestions/opinions. How many times are you going to post the same thing over and over again? Your questions have been answered but you probably want someone out there to give you some ray of hope. NOT A CHANCE! Face up to the facts, man! I have given you the contact name with the CA Medical Board and yet you want some form of comfort or affirmation. Was it wrong? I sincerely doubt it by the response from this individual to your posted message. Don't think you can somehow slip thru the cracks on this issue, bud. Either you attend the 3 carib schools recognized by the state of CA or you're just S-O-L!!!! Maybe you should change your name to MDnot2B...AND THAT IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!! Laters

Posted on Nov 12, 1999, 7:20 PM
from IP address

by Anonymous (no login)

I hope you got a lot of satisfaction off your post, because there is really no other reason for you to have to have done it.

Posted on Nov 13, 1999, 4:30 AM
from IP address

If you are considering CA
by ExUAGer (no login)

Sorry I am not Dr. Grim or Dr. Moreau. I just wanted to add that in California the person to talk to is Pat Parks. She can be reached through the Medical Board of California. Also, you can look up the exact laws in the state of California through the business and professions code. As far as licensure goes, you must be from one of the approved foreign medical schools like AUC, Ross, St. Georges, UAG, etc.

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 11:15 AM
from IP address

by anon (no login)

what about people who graduated from Taiwan National Univ School of Med? I know lots of foreign docs working there as well.....

Posted on Dec 7, 1999, 11:49 PM
from IP address

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.