PDA

View Full Version : Very Very Very Confused Please Help

tonyferattiwwu
03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Ok. I did searches but can't find straight answers:

1.) What english MD programs in Poland offer US clinicals?
2.) Do US students have to apply via an agent or NOT? From what I read it sounded like if a US student does not apply via AIM or HOPE to their respective schools, they can not obtain US clinicals during MS3 and MS4.
3.) For students of the english programs, do the gradation ceremonies (commencement) take place in Poland?

devildoc8404
03-24-2008, 04:22 AM
1) If you are studying in Europe, as far as I have been able to determine, you need to set up any US clinicals yourself. None of the schools I have seen have automatic clinicals in the States, and they also only allow a certain amount of "away" rotations to begin with. Setting up US rotations is not rocket surgery, so to speak. Also, there are Euro-grads posting on the VMD forum who have landed US residencies without ever rotating in the US during clinicals. If you set them up yourself, you can determine where you go - I think it's a great option, myself.

2) For the love of Sweet Saint Peter, DO NOT USE AN AGENT. DO NOT USE AN AGENT. There are no "clinicals" during MS1-MS2, that is the classroom portion of medical school. Clinical rotations come at the latter half of medical school, and you don't need to pay anyone to set these up for you unless you have money coming out of every orifice and are too @#$&()! lazy to do it yourself. He**, even then, DO NOT USE AN AGENT. You will be paying them thousands of dollars for literally a few hours or days of work. In addition, any information you read on the agency websites should be taken with a nano-grain of salt.

3) Yes, from my research (and the graduation photos on the university websites) graduation takes place at the schools. Bear in mind that many/most of the English program students are not American, so they would not want/need to hold commencement in the States.

tonyferattiwwu
03-24-2008, 09:40 AM
oops...typo...I MEANT MS3+4 NOT 1+2

tonyferattiwwu
03-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Is Medical University of Lodz really the only school in Poland at which BOTH MS3+MS4 clinical rotations can be done in the US?

chexpool
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Ok so i am a student in poland. First things first; visit poland and the schools you want to attended. After 2 years being in poland, i can speak for many of us.. it kinda leaves a bitter taste.. anyway so first visit.

yes but you do you core 3rd years in poland, but 4th year you do your 16wks in where ever you want.

2.) Do US students have to apply via an agent or NOT? From what I read it sounded like if a US student does not apply via AIM or HOPE to their respective schools, they can not obtain US clinicals during MS3 and MS4.

Agents are for idiots at least at poznan the people that used agents payed 2x as much and the school doesnt even really accoknowledge them.

3.) For students of the english programs, do the gradation ceremonies (commencement) take place in Poland?

Yes where else would you have the commencement... this isnt american university in poland, you goto a polish univeristy in english.

so good luck, lil' advice want answers call the school offices. :) good luck.

EUDoc
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Ok so i am a student in poland. First things first; visit poland and the schools you want to attended. After 2 years being in poland, i can speak for many of us.. it kinda leaves a bitter taste.. anyway so first visit.

yes but you do you core 3rd years in poland, but 4th year you do your 16wks in where ever you want.

Agents are for idiots at least at poznan the people that used agents payed 2x as much and the school doesnt even really accoknowledge them.

Yes where else would you have the commencement... this isnt american university in poland, you goto a polish univeristy in english.

Can you elaborate on it leaving a bitter taste? Thanks!

mdcrunch
03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Do you go to Poznan? If so are you happy with your choice and do you feel confident that you will be able to obtain residency back in the states?

chexpool
03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
bitter taste= i would rather not live in poland. My personal opinion. This whole damn culture is bitter. The school is honest enough i guess, it will piss you off one way or another.

am i happy with my choice. Looking back, i could have gone DO, into a masters program for a year or so then into an MD program, or to AUC. Instead i came to poland. now i think the any of the choices i stated were better.

Residency. FMG= no one gives a damn where you came from. Only 1 thing matters for FMG; you step 1 score. If its passing you get a spot, if its really good you better believe you will be going anywhere you want.

240+ and you are competitive in the USA even if your school is in on the north pole.

Good Luck guys my only advice visit poland for a while before you come to school here for 4 years. It gets the job done, but it will leave you wishing...

EUDoc
03-25-2008, 09:21 PM
bitter taste= i would rather not live in poland. My personal opinion. This whole damn culture is bitter. The school is honest enough i guess, it will piss you off one way or another.

am i happy with my choice. Looking back, i could have gone DO, into a masters program for a year or so then into an MD program, or to AUC. Instead i came to poland. now i think the any of the choices i stated were better.

Residency. FMG= no one gives a damn where you came from. Only 1 thing matters for FMG; you step 1 score. If its passing you get a spot, if its really good you better believe you will be going anywhere you want.

240+ and you are competitive in the USA even if your school is in on the north pole.

Good Luck guys my only advice visit poland for a while before you come to school here for 4 years. It gets the job done, but it will leave you wishing...
Thanks for the info. One more thing, how are the medical polish classes? How long are they and do you learn a lot in them?

Narcan
03-26-2008, 02:40 AM

I totally agree!!

chexpool
03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
ah the polish classes, well i actually speak polish so that was a no brainer; i must say my not so polish friends get along just fine. No one ever complained aabout the polish class thing. I guess we do something more in year there but whatever another crap class that wastes your time.

tonyferattiwwu
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I am really wondering...Is it still possible to gain admission to Lodz without using AIM and if so is it still possible ( at LODZ) to do MS3+MS4 in the US!?

devildoc8404
03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Word to the wise - I don't know about Lodz, but if it ISN'T possible to get into a specific EEu school without using an agent, I simply wouldn't go to that school. Seriously. A school which officially would require an agent for admission is, in my mind, setting students up to boost the bill at every opportunity. Juuuust my .02.

hcg1234
03-27-2008, 05:58 AM
I strongly advice you not to attend Lodz...It's a nasty, dirty city. You cannot attend MUL without AIM if you are from US or Canada. The only way to do that is you are not a citizen/resident of US or Canda and the only way to do that is if you are from EU, Asia etc....In any case, the university does NOT prepare you for the USMLEs despite what anyone might try to contradict me. I used to go there. It was pathetic. I hated it. Besides Jagellonian in Krakow is the best university(u can check the polish rankings too that are posted on the threads). My friends went to Jagellonian and did really well in the USMLEs. Jagellonian also got California approval(including the english program)..Which means you can get licensed there if Cali is where u want to be. Jagellonian is the ONLY school in Poland to achieve that so far. LODZ is NOT approved by California. Go to Jagellonian(they dont use agents). And Krakow is a beautiful city where lots of people speak english because it is known as an international city. Good luck

chexpool
03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Big three in poland when it comes to english programs.

Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, none of them have agents. PERIOD>

In my humble opinion, and i goto poznan Krakow is a newer english program but prob the best (when considering loc and school), Poznan is the most established english program and the orignal in poland. And warsaw is just a baby but has a good rep.

So goodluck

Rotten
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
My advice: simply wait till 2012 to attend Lodz, as they are actively pushing to be the European Capital of Culture for 2016.

Lodz European Capital of Culture 2016 - The Best Candidate (http://www.lodz2016.com/main_eng.html)

Having the European Football Championships in Poland/Ukraine in 2012, then the Euro Capital of Culture within the span of four years would see a vastly revitalized city with better infrastructure and an enriched arts/cultural scene.

Of course, that could all be a load of bull. As for the school, don't attend there; but I'm of the mindset that a situation is what one makes of it.

That said, I would decidedly not use an agent. I simply do not see the point of paying someone for something I could, without an abundance of trouble, do myself.

EUDoc
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
I totally agree!!
Hi Narcan,

You said that you totally agreed with the post. However, back in June of 2006, you wrote that you were totally happy with your choice and if you had to do it all over again, you would make the same choice. What has happened to make you change your opinion of the city and the school?

Thanks.

Narcan
03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Reread the post. I never said I was unhappy. Not crazy about the culture here. But the school gets the job done. That was the just of the post.

devildoc8404
04-12-2008, 06:37 AM
But Narcan, in the late summer of 1994 you clearly stated that you wanted to become a policeman! What happened to THAT aspiration, and doesn't your current matriculation in medical school totally contradict that opinion? :D

Narcan
04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. I was a Paramedic/Firefighter in 1994. Maybe your making a "funny"?

devildoc8404
04-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I was being funny. (Well... or not, apparently.) Sorry, I guess it doesn't always convey via the internet.

I just thought it was amusing that somebody thought to pull out a quote you had written from a couple of years ago... that seems like a lot of research! I wonder if they considered attending law school? :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.