PDA

View Full Version : Match Process

bookite
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, so the following is something I put together for everyone about to go through the Match. The other schools give something like this to their students but AUC does not. So the following is put out by me only the school has nothing to do with it nor do they take responsibility for it. This is meant for information purposes only please check dates and information on your own as I can not be responsible if this information is incorrect or wrong.:shock:

Residency Match
Guide to Match Season
by Dr Bookite

January MS3 year -1 year before your match
Will I make the match?
To participate in the Match:
you must be done with Step 2CK and CS before Rank Order List (ROL) are submitted. January to March the year before you want to match work on your schedule so you will have finished all you tests by November. This will give you plenty to time to get your results back to safely make theROL deadline.
You must graduate at the latest by May. This will allow four weeks for ECFMG certification (minimum 4 to 6 weeks). January to March plan your electives so you will finish no later than May of the match year so you can start residency July 1.March
Identify the programs you will apply to.
By this time you should have an idea what speciality you will apply to. Now you should start reviewing the different programs and identifying which you will apply to. The websites below will help you with this process. You should have a list of all the programs you will apply to ready by August.
FREIDA Online search (http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/) Freida is a website sponsored by AMA listing all programs for every specialty.
Scutwork.com (http://www.scutwork.com) Website where other medical students/residents can review a program. Good insight into a program
ACGME Accredited Program and Institutional Listing - Public Access (http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/) ACGME accredited programs and sponsoring institutionsStart securing your letters of recommendation (LORs).
There are several ways to get you LORs but one way that has worked best is asking your letter writer during or just after you have rotated with them. You can also ask them to keep a copy of the letter on file so it can be updated. When sending them into theECFMG (Acting deans office for FMGs) you will need to have your AAMC # on it. You can't get this number until July so if the LOR is on file you can ask that it be updated with your AAMC number and sent. Several reasons you want to have your letters written ASAP after the rotation. 1) your work and skill is current in their minds. 2) some letter writers take a long time to finish the letter, startingearly will give you time to follow up to make sure it is done.
Advise: Wave your right to see the letter as it is believed these LORs will hold more meaning.

Start on you Personal Statement
This may be the hardest part of the application process. Some programs put more weight into this than others so you want to have a great one. If your English sucks or yourgrammar needs help think about a proof reading service. EssayEdge.com: Personal Statement and Admissions Essay Help, Application Essay Editing (http://www.essayedge.com) does a good job but their service is not free (around 200$?). A good idea is to have a several people read it and correct as needed. There are outlines on theInternet for help. DO NOT COPY PERSONAL STATEMENTS FROM THE INTERNET USE YOUR OWN. You want to start early so you can revise several times.

April
Start working on you CV
Curriculum Vitae is something AUC will use to write your deans letter so make sure it is comprehensive and expanded. When I got my MSPE (deans letter) I was surprised to find they copy and pasted my CV. Had I known I would have written more or gave more detail. CV should contain: Eduction, Work experience, Volunteer work, Published studies, Hobbies, Skills, Awards, and any association you belong to.

May
Request and Pay for your MSPE
There is a financial for you will need to fill out to pay your 20$. You can get this off AUCs website or call them for it. It is important you request this early because these are done on a first come first serve order. If you wait until September you may not make the November deadline.
Advice: AUC will wait to send you transcripts (which you also need to pay for) until you MSPE is done. So if you wait to long to request your MSPE you will not have your transcripts in by September 1st.

June
ERAS
Go to ERAS (ERASŪ Residency & Osteopathic Internship Applicants Site (http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/)) and read the Application Process Guidelines. Download the Manual Application and fill it out. This will give you a guideline while filling out the online version. Read and understand their fees. You can't open your account until July but understanding+ their system will help you.

Token from ECFMG
About the last two week for June you can request and pay for your TOKEN. You must have this to register for ERAS. Tokens take 1-2 days to get after paying.

July
Open ERAS
ERAS is a central application system for sending out your application information. ERAS is not where you will rank programs (that is theNRMP).
You can now open an ERAS account and start filling out all you information. You can copy and past your personal statement. Assign letter writers for yourLORs. Start selecting programs to apply to and request and pay for your USMLE score report to be released. Nothing will be uploaded into your ERAS post office until you apply and pay for at least one program (earliest date Sept).

Send Documents to ECFMG
Because we are FMGs our deans office is the ECFMG and they are responsible for handling all our paperwork. Because they cover all FMGs they will get backed up in scanning your documents into their system. The sooner you have your documents in the sooner they will be available for ERAS. They often take two weeks from the time they receive them to be scanned into their system. The date they receive your documents should show up in OASIS (ECFMG website).

Request Updated LORs
Now that you have your AAMC number you can ask you letter writers to update the letters with this number written on top. Make sure your letters make it to theECFMG by checking OASIS. If you know your letters were sent in and they don't show up on OASIS in a week you need to track them down or have them resent.

August
Request for Transcripts
Request your transcripts from AUC. You will be charged for this and will need to send a payment form in. Once AUC has your money they will send your MSPE if finished and your transcripts to ECFMG. Remember this takes time as ECFMG will be behind on scanning documents. Request early in August so you can have your transcripts for Sept 1st. You can update your transcripts at anytime during the match season by making another request toAUC (they will charge you to resend to ECFMG).

Follow up on your MSPE
Follow up on your MSPE to make sure it is done and will be sent. Programs can't view them until November 1st but if the school has not done it and they are behind it could be late October before they get it out.

Register for the NRMP
You have to register and pay for the NRMP as it is a different system from ERAS. NRMP is where you will submit your rank order list (ROL) and where the match takes place. You have to register and pay them money or you won't go through the match.

Finalize your Programs
By the end of August you want to finalize the programs you are applying to. You can add programs throughout the season but it is better to do it all at once.

September
Apply to your programs
Apply early. Apply September 1 for all your programs. Your documents won't be uploaded into your ERAS post office until you apply and pay for at least one program. Many programs sent out interview invitations on a first come first servebases. If you meet the programs requirements you have a better shot at getting an interview if you apply early.

Programs will start downloading your application
You can track who has downloaded you application via ERAS.

October
Schedule interviews
Some interviews start as early as October and go as late as early February. Check with your clinical coordinator as some hospitals have a policy about how many days you can take off during your rotation. Some say schedule the interview of places you love early so you have time for a second look.

November
MSPE letters are released
Programs may wait until November 1 to offer an interview so they can see the deans letter.

December
Step 2 deadline
Last day to sit for step 2 and get your score back by ROL deadline. I don't recommend waiting this long to take step 2 as you may not make the ROL deadline. Some programs may not interview or rank you if they don't see your scores because if you don't pass step 2 you cannot start residency.

January
Rank order list
You can now start filling out your ROL.

February
ROL deadline
If you pre-match you need to withdraw by this deadline. If you are going through the match your ROL must be finished and certified by this deadline.

March
Match Madness
There are three dates to know so go to National Resident Match Program (http://www.nrmp.org) and find them. They are a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Monday you find out if you matched or need to scramble. Tuesday the Scramble starts. Thursday you find out where you matched.

Programs send out contracts

Advice: Have everything ready and apply September 1st.
Get your LORs early.
Wave your right to see your LORs.
Take USMLE step 2ck and cs so your scores are back by September 1st.
Don't wait until the end to do your personal statement.
Apply to as many programs as you can afford.

If anyone see something I missed please add it to the list.:D

arga
03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Great information. So I read somewhere that the AAMC id is the same as the one used for MCAT and AMCAS applications. Is that true?

arga
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Also what's the difference between the FREIDA and ACGME sites? I see that there are more search options for FREIDA, but is there a difference about information obtained from these sites?

rokshana
03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
very nice timeline!!

i would correct 2 things

1. you may already have your ERAS/AAMC #- if you took the MCATs or applied through AMCAS to US schools, then the AAMC# you have will be your ERAS#. When you register for ERAS it will ask if you have an existing AAMC#- if you put that number in, ERAS will reassign it to you.

2. I would reccomend getting any documents sent to ERAS to ECFMG within FOUR weeks, not 2 at least early in the season (july to oct)- its the timeframe that ECFMG gives and was pretty accurate for me at least.

and just for labeling, i would put something like January, year prior to matching in the heading- it was a bit confusing.

good luck everyone!!

slevit1MD
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I used Essay Edge for my med school personal statement and I've gotta say that they were absolutely fantastic! Yes, it's a little pricey, but it is well worth the cost. They have a ton of samples of essays that they have corrected, but when I read them, I didn't think that they would possibly really be that good; I was pretty sure that those were the best exceptions. But, I tried the service out and they really are as good as the samples would lead you to believe. When you get the essay back from them, you really don't have to do anything else. They take your ideas from your essay and totally rework everything to make it much better.

For the price, you're not just getting someone to check your grammar and give you suggestions on how to improve. Essay Edge actually fixes all of your mistakes and in a day or two and sends you back an essay that you can easily tell is from what you wrote, but you can't believe how much better they've made it. They also send you a detailed letter that explains what they liked about your writing, what they didn't like, and why they made the edits that they did. Unless you're a crazy good writer, I'd highly recommend them. I'm 100% sure that I'll be using their service again when the time comes.

bookite
03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I did what to add one more thing. Ask any upper classmate if they would give you a copy of their personal statement and CV. While you don't want to copy them it's good to get an idea what they should look like.

bookite
03-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Also what's the difference between the FREIDA and ACGME sites? I see that there are more search options for FREIDA, but is there a difference about information obtained from these sites?

Freida is sponsored by the AMA. They have general information and information submitted by the program. Most will have links to the specific programs website. You can search narrow your search by state/specialty/if program goes through NRMP, etc.

ACGME - is the accrediting body and their site will tell you if the program is on probation, when a program will be reviewed, how long a program has been around, etc.

rokshana
03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
SOE, you should sticky this

BiologyBY
03-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Agree...make it a sticky

bookite
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
One more tip for the Match:

The ACGME (the body that approves residency programs) has a list of all the newly approved programs. If you are looking to match into something a bit more competitive you can check their website often to see any new program that might be coming this next year. Then you can call or email the program to see if they will be taking applications. Applying to these programs will increase your odds of getting interviews and/or matching at these places as a FMG.
website is at the ACGME: Here (http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/) look under newly accredited programs on the left hand side towards the bottom.

So for example:

If you look under dermatology for the year of 2008-2009 you will see Tufts-New England Medical Center Program. This would be a good program to apply to.

or

Radiology: Texas Tech University (El Paso) Program and University of Arizona/UPHK Graduate Medical Education Consortium Program
both new programs and would be good options to apply to.

I applied to EM in the 2008 match and interviewed at ten places. One of those places I found using the ACGME website and was invited to interview. At the interview they told me I would be ranked to match and had they offered me a pre match I would be with them this July.

Anyway if you have any questions please ask.

Disclaimer: The above is by no means a guarantee to match and I take no responsibility for how this information is used or if it is used for the purposes of criminal activity.:shock:

longrun
05-22-2008, 12:24 AM
March

Match Madness
There are three dates to know so go to ..... and find them. They are a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Monday you find out if you matched or need to scramble. Tuesday the Scramble starts. Thursday you find out where you matched.

Hello.
I have 3 questions to ask you.
1. What's the Post Match Scramble program?
2. What's the PGY-1 program?
3. What's the difference between those two when trying to apply for
Residency Matching?

If anyone else knows about it, please explain it in detail.
I'm really confused between those two. :confused:
Thank you.

longrun
05-22-2008, 12:30 AM
One more thing...
What's the Swap position in Residency Matching? :confused:

Can anyone tell me in detail in a easily understandable way?

ckbuffalo
06-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Is the token from ECFMG the AAMC#? Or are these two different things?
Thanks

Skittles23
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
January MS3 year -1 year before your match
Will I make the match?

To participate in the Match:
you must be done with Step 2CK and CS before Rank Order List (ROL) are submitted. January to March the year before you want to match work on your schedule so you will have finished all you tests by November. This will give you plenty to time to get your results back to safely make theROL deadline.
You must graduate at the latest by May. This will allow four weeks for ECFMG certification (minimum 4 to 6 weeks). January to March plan your electives so you will finish no later than May of the match year so you can start residency July 1.

You graduate May and begin residency the July of the following year, what do graduates do during this 1 year + off. Also, is this the reason why Jan semester applicants don't make the match because they graduate 1 semester after in August instead of May. So, does this mean that they have to wait until the follwing year to apply and then another year to start. Would you please explain this to me, I'm really quite confused. Thank You.
Skittles23

aoliver0
09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
so i was thinking of applying to st. agnes for the 2009 match.... my step scores are just shy of their 225/220 minimum... so should i just forget about applying?

Skipper
09-02-2008, 05:35 AM
i would apply to st agnes with those scores......

they have a couple of residents that have failed step 1 or 2 once and still matched there.....

skipper

stateofequilibrium
09-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Don't they require ECFMG cert in hand though?

hadeel
05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
thanks, this is great info.

Exodus12
11-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info!

docrivers85
01-19-2011, 10:03 PM
thank you so much this information is priceless

docrivers85
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Next year I have to be a PGY-1

MackAttack
05-08-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm hoping to apply and match in 2013 - any suggestions/advice on when to take Step 2 CK & CS by?

devildoc8404
05-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Do you mean apply in 12 and match in 13, or apply in 13 and match in 14?

Ideally, August at the latest... but it's already too late if you are going for this coming match (12/13). There are no 2CS dates available until mid-September at this point.

MackAttack
05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Apply Sept 12 and match in March 13...

CK is what I'm mostly concerned about - do I need to have it completed with scores back by the time I apply in September? I suppose that would be ideal, I just want to make sure I have enough time to study adequately.

devildoc8404
05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Again, ideally-speaking, yeah. From what I have read, you would like to have all three scores ready to go when you apply in early September... or as close as possible. Some places won't look at your stuff until it's all there, and they'll be offering interviews during that time.

tattedMD
08-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Appreciate this sincerely!

JoanneGross
11-19-2013, 04:48 AM
try to make it in a small description need more time to read

devildoc8404
11-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Are you kidding? Buy the freaking Cliff's Notes version, then. (There, um, isn't one.)

If you are serious about the Match process -- which I strongly suspect that you are not -- then you will wind up reading a hell of a lot more than one blog post.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.