PDA

View Full Version : Importance of the timing of applications

MK_66
03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the importance of applying right at the opening of the application cylce (May 1st, 2008) with respect to the universities of Queensland and Sydney. I am trying to plan when to write the MCAT as I know it takes a month for the scores to be returned (but April dates conflict with university finals). Essentially I suppose I'm asking how quickly the class fills up. Does submitting in June hurt my chances compared to submitting in May? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

tea1018
03-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Hmm...well I"m in the same boat as you so I'd also be interested in an answer!

OzTREKK
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
G'day MK 66 and tea1018,

With regards to applying to the University of Queensland, you should try and submit your application fairly soon after the May 1, 2008 assessment opening date, or even have it ready before May 1st. Last year, when the assessment date opened on May 1, 2007, those students who applied after mid-June were unsuccessful as the program filled so quickly. It was unanticipated that the program would fill so quickly. The reason why it filled so quickly is because the University of Queensland uses a 'rolling' admissions process. Meaning, unlike many other universities which have a 'pooled' admissions process whereby they only assess applications after the deadline date has passed, Queensland assesses your application as it comes in and grants an interview if you have met the entry requirements.

Many prospective students are in the same boat as you, regarding the timing and planning of sitting the MCAT, especially with finals in April/May. My suggestion is this, if you really want to give yourself a good shot in getting in for 2009 at Queensland, then you should sit your MCAT in April. I know this is not ideal with finals the same month. If you wish to maximise your chances in the MCAT and not being pressed for study time for your finals, you may wish to sit your MCAT in May. However, doing so you run the risk of applying when the program is almost filled for the 2009 intake.

With regards to how I know all this, I am the University of Queensland's official representative here in North America. Last year, 85% of the Canadians who commenced the medical program at Queensland applied via my office as well as the majority of American students. I am currently preparing applications so that they are submitted for May 1st to the University of Queensland so that they are assessed in an timely manner.

If you would like to apply now and start the process for Queensland or just to find out more information, you may wish to visit the following web link: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/queensland.htm (http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/queensland.htm)

With regards to Sydney, unfortunately, as I do not represent the University I do not have the most current information and would be ill-equipped to advise you.

Wish you all the best in your finals and MCAT this Spring. And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post again or send me a message.

Cheers,

Matt

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.