PDA

View Full Version : Entrance exam of 6 year program

beachmed
03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest some decent ways to prepare for the entrance exams of 6 year programs? I've been out of the subject matter for a little while and could use some help in recollecting. Thank you!

vavachi2004
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
What school are you thinking of though? Some schools if you are applying for the 6 year they just require your high school marks and knowledge of extracurricular/current position. If preparing for any exams you would probably need to have knowledge in biology/chemistry/physics. Hope this helps.

punjabi
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
What school are you thinking of though? Some schools if you are applying for the 6 year they just require your high school marks and knowledge of extracurricular/current position. If preparing for any exams you would probably need to have knowledge in biology/chemistry/physics. Hope this helps.

Vavachi2004: What do you mean with "...and knowledge of extracurricular/current position."? :confused:

Beachmed:I'd order some summary books from amazon.com to brush up on bio/chem/physics You may also want to look at old entrance exams/sample exams (some, only a few, schools offer this to prospective students). To which school(s) are you applying to?

Rotten
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Here is the link containing information regarding the entrance examination for the 6-year program at UJ (I'm assuming that exams are similar for various schools). Near the bottom , there is a link to a .pdf file that provides further details regarding the exam's subject matter.

I would suggest grabbing basic biology/chemistry texts and start reading ...

Hope that helped (link is below).

</title> </head> <body bgcolor="#C0C0C0" text="#FFFFFF" link="#FFFFFF" vlink="#FFFFFF" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> <table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> < (http://www.medschool.cm-uj.krakow.pl/zawartosc.php?co=wyswietlgalerie2&akcja=rozwin&grupy_kod=2&kod=8&kod2=8)

beachmed
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you so much for all the replies!! I am thinking of applying to Pomeranian and Warsaw (now neither one of them have entrance exams). The school I would LOVE to get in is Jag (which has the entrance exam).

Thank you so much for the link. I wil take a look at it right away.

Back_To_School
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
No offense intended, but I would have thought if you've been away from the science subjects for some time, it would be a good idea to apply to schools with an entrance exam. At least this way if you fail the test you'll know that you're not at the required level yet (and lets face it the entrance exams are pretty straight forward from what I've heard even if you only have a passing grade at A-level) and you would have saved yourself the first years tution, accomodation, bucket loads of stress and dissapointment etc as you would probably have little chance of making it through the first year if you have not yet grasped basic Bio and Chem before starting Med-School.

The three books I would recommend are 'Advanced Chemistry', 'Advanced Biology' and 'Advanced Physics' they are all on Amazon.

They are not cheap at around 35 each, but they are worth every penny and they're peanuts in comparison with a pre-med course.The physics book is probably a lesser requirement unless you're going for Charles in Prague or another med-school which tests physics in their entrance exam. A lot of them just test Bio and Chem. I think.

PS

I have no affiliation with the 'Advanced' series of books, or with Amazon.co.uk:D

They are great books though, but leave yourself plenty of time to get to grips with the subjects. Remember you're not just trying to acquire enough knowledge to pass the ent. exam, but laying a foundation that all the other med subjects will build on. Org. chem, bio-chem etc

I'm yet to apply to uni, so perhaps my comments should be taken with a pinch of salt:rolleyes: It just seems like common sense though.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.