PDA

View Full Version : Network54 Main Forum Page 8

Hanson
02-15-2003, 04:22 PM
5PW - not a CA option
by Pat Park, Calif Med Bd (no login)

Just to set the record straight, completing a Fifth Pathway program will NOT allow a St. Christopher graduate to qualify for training or licensure in California. This also applies to any other medical school disapproved or not recognized by the Medical Board of California. Students must complete ALL of their medical education in a school or schools recognized by this Board.

Pat Park, Foreign Schools Liaison, Medical Board of California

UNIBE is ineligible

Sorry, but yes, that's what it means. Transferring to a California-approved school such as AUC would not cure the problem that your basic sciences coursework was completed at a school that the California Medical Board does not recognize. All of your education must be completed in a school or schools that California recognizes. You may want to contact UNIBE officials as to their plans for applying for California recognition. UNIBE has had our application packet since March 1996, but I recently had an e-mail from an UNIBE faculty member indicating that they may be serious about applying in California soon. In the meantime, you are not eligible to train in or become licensed in California, regardless of whether you transfer into and graduate from a California-recognized medical school.

That won't work

With all due respect, transferring into a U.S. school wouldn't help this person either, even assuming such a plan were viable. His/her basic sciences would still be from an unrecognized medical school, regardless of whether Harvard or UCLA awarded his/her Doctor of Medicine degree. He/she would be unable to move forward to licensure and would either have to repeat the basic sciences or UNIBE would have to become recognized in California by that time and the Board would have to have made its recognition retroactive indefinitely.

Posted on Apr 10, 2002, 8:44 AM
from IP address 165.235.24.

bye bye cali, sniff sniff
by sundoc (Login ikrams)

...Heels tall, bikinis small, she said she liked the ocean, I'm going back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali...

L.L. Cool J song from the early 90's (late 80's??!?)

I guess I wouldn't be making that trip with L.L. !! I just wish I had found these boards BEFORE I started my med school career... God knows best what the future holds, if its meant to be then its meant to be... and vice versa of course :)

Posted on Apr 10, 2002, 10:47 AM
from IP address 66.98.32.37

feeling bad
by sundoc (Login ikrams)

I just wanted to say that I feel kinda bad for writing the previous email... you know quoting L.L.'s song. The reality is that I am bothered that it seems like Cali will not be a possibilty for me... So if my off the cuff comment was in bad taste, i am sorry.

Posted on Apr 11, 2002, 9:14 PM

has it ever happened...
by sundoc (Login ikrams)

Just wondering if Cali has ever granted a retroactive recognition to a school... Thank you very much.

Posted on Apr 10, 2002, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the Reply and a Question, Please.
by Researching Guy (Login ResearchingGuy)
Forum Moderator

You can't get a more definitive answer on the ins and outs of California and IMG's than what Ms. Park can provide. She is ready to answer questions on even hypothetical (and improbable) situations.

Ms. Park,

Is there an internet accessible list of Foreign Medical schools and their status in California? Such a list would provide much needed information for the likes of us who search the internet for information on foreign schools.

Thanks again for your reply. I really do appreciate your presence here.

Best of Luck to Us All!

Posted on Apr 10, 2002, 5:35 PM
from IP address 172.147.138.195

Pat Park, do you think Saba and MUA will get california approval?
by Student (no login)

What kind of time period are we looking at?

will the approvals be retroactive?

I can't predict

Unfortunately, I can't predict the future. Saba applied for California recognition in October 2001, so its application is still in the early stages of paperwork review. MUA hasn't applied yet. With Board meetings being scheduled quarterly and schools being subject to uncontrollable factors such as hurricanes, volcanic eruptions and other business disruptions, it can take 2-3 years to complete the review process. Only at the end of the process, after the site inspection, will the Board determine whether the approval, if given, will be retroactive indefinitely or effective prospectively from a particular date for some reason unique to that school. That's the best I can do to answer your question!

Posted on Apr 10, 2002, 1:05 PM
from IP address 165.235.24.2

Retroactive approvals
by Pat Park, Calif. Med. Bd. (no login)

Four schools were approved with retroactive status: AUC, Ross, St. George's, INTEC. That means that 100% of the schools reviewed were approved with full retroactively. However, that 100% represents only four schools. So I caution you against rushing to enroll in an unrecognized school on the assumption that ALL FUTURE schools will be approved retroactively. There is NO absolute guarantee that any school will be approved retroactively.

Posted on Apr 12, 2002, 12:52 PM
from IP address 165.235.24.2

Where & What is INTEC ?
by The simple Guy (no login)

Dear Pat,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Which one is the fourth one...INTEC ?
Where is that located ? Any web-LINKS ?
Regards.

Posted on Apr 12, 2002, 2:40 PM
from IP address 67.89.152.70

Instituto Technologica de Santo Domingo
by Researching Guy (Login ResearchingGuy)
Forum Moderator

It's in the Dominican Republic. Check this part of the website for their California approval letter:

http://www.intec.edu.do/area-salud/intec-approved.html

I'm curious just how many US students they have. The credentials are very good, though.

Best of Luck to Us All!

Posted on Apr 13, 2002, 1:04 AM
from IP address 172.143.27.141

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.