PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! A Canadian wants to practice in Canada but study in Europe...

simply_me
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi there,

I am a canadian citizen and want to go to a dental school in Poland or UK (5 years BDS). My question is Would I be able to practice in Canada if I graduate from a dental school in Poland or UK?? If not, what do I have to do to practice dentistry in Canada?
What about Medicine?? If I complete a 6-yrs Medical program in Poland, would I be able to practice in Canada?

Another question: Do I have to do residency in Canada to practice here? If I do residency in USA, would I be able to practice in Canada???

If the answer is yes, could you please suggest some good medical universities in Poland?? I've heard Lodz or Poznan is quite famous here...

PLEASE DO HELP!!!
Thanks

VSR
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
go to Caribbean.

simply_me
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
VSR, thanks for the reply but are there any dental schools in Carribean??

PLEASEEEE GUYS HELPPPP!!!

Papadoc
01-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi there,

I am a canadian citizen and want to go to a dental school in Poland or UK (5 years BDS). My question is Would I be able to practice in Canada if I graduate from a dental school in Poland or UK?? If not, what do I have to do to practice dentistry in Canada?
What about Medicine?? If I complete a 6-yrs Medical program in Poland, would I be able to practice in Canada?

Another question: Do I have to do residency in Canada to practice here? If I do residency in USA, would I be able to practice in Canada???

If the answer is yes, could you please suggest some good medical universities in Poland?? I've heard Lodz or Poznan is quite famous here...

PLEASE DO HELP!!!
Thanks

If you do dental school in Poland and then come back to Canada or the U.S. there is a program that you would have to apply to and do the last 2 years over again to get your license.

After 6 years of medical school, you would qualify to obtain a license in all 50 states after 2 or 3 years of post graduate training. However, if you do the 4 year english program in Poland or other European countries, then some states and provinces will not grant you a license. The only schools with a 4 year english program that are approved in all 50 states are located in Hungary and the Czech Republic. You can practice in Canada following a residency in the Us provided you pass all the exams but some specialties are 4 years in US vs 5 years in Canada

The english program in Poznan has been around the longest so they probably have all the kinks worked out. However, Cracow and Warsaw might be just as good possibly with better resources and equipment

simply_me
01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
thank you so much PapaDoc to answer my question. :-)

ultimatecred
04-19-2008, 01:47 AM
If u plan on practicing dentistry in the u.s or canada, DONT study outside those two countries. The rules for dentistry r much different & they treat all foreign degrees (from any country...even japan) like garbage.

There is alot of headache. If you do follow this route, first you are required to complete the examinations for licensing (that is, if your foreign university program is eligible). You have to pass these with out of this world flying colours. I'm talking 80%-90% with 80 being the absolute minimum for most schools in the u.s & canada.

Secondly, with these scores, you have to apply to a university of choice in the u.s and canada with all your documentation including your transcript, your licensing examination marks, letters of recommendation, experience, etc...

If they like your package, they will only then invite you to an interview.

If you pass the interview, then you're amongst geniuses because each school only selects from 5-10 students anually for this bridging program.

K lets say now that you do gain a seat in this program. You haven't seen anything yet. Now you have to undergo a 6 week transition course. Upon completion, you are seated in the beginning of the 3rd year of the university you have been accepted to.

At this point, if you do accomplish all that, now you are home-free to go after establishing a practice.

Therefore, I suggest if you want to do your dentistry degree ANYWHERE abroad (other than U.S & Canada) that you stay in that region & practice there. If you want to get the degree in Europe, then you best plan on staying there.

ultimatecred
04-19-2008, 01:52 AM
I suggest you go to the Caribbean for medical studies. There are no dentistry studies there, save for one. I believe it is @ West Indies. But if you plan on studying dentistry there, then read the above post with the information.

By the way, everything I said about dentistry is true except for the state of MINNESOTA. If the university you study at is recognized, then that state DOES NOT require the additional rigorous 2 years of education at a university institution in the states. If you can pass the licensing examinations in the U.S, you can practice there with a foreign degree. The reason that this state does this is because they're short of dentists. You should look into Hawaii too because I think they have a similar setup.

As for the caribbean, apply to the big 4 (St. George, Ross, Saba, AUC)... You will get MD & license to practice in all 50 states...Plus Nova Scotia in Canada for Saba I believe.

Be wise. Be patient. Do not rush a decision. I have finished my undergraduate degree, got accepted to Hungarian schools but am not going. There is nothing worst than regret. Make an educated move.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.