PDA

View Full Version : Usa or Poland?

Nit1985
12-02-2007, 11:40 AM
I am kinda stuck in a dilemma. Currently I am being offered to study pre-med at Truman State University and travel to the states. But I didnt think I had any good chances of being offered a seat, so I started making plans to Poland since a lot of Norwegians study medicine there. The thing is I dont know which to choose? If I go to the states, Im looking at 3 years pre-med + 4 years med school, IF I even get a seat. Theres the MCAT, recommendation letters, EC's + interviews. Thats 7 years. Whereas in Poland, I get to start with medicine right away, and book myself up pretty busy for the next 6 years. But what should I choose?

In USA, Im looking at world class education, but out of 40,000 pre-med, only 17-18k are accepted in med schools. And I even have to wait 3 years before actually starting med courses. If I go to Poland, I get to start med school at once. What would you guys do?

czdoc
12-02-2007, 12:35 PM
depends where you want to work? if america, then go and try there, if eu then go to poland. i think is pretty straight forward. American education is expensive also. You can recieve a world class education in poland too, its up to you what you do with the knowledge they give you. America is prob better quality of life but again it all depend where you want to work.

Nit1985
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I want to work in Norway, and a medical license from USA or Poland, is approved. So thats not a problem to me.

Powel6016
12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
then apply to the states and see if u get accepted but also at the same time apply to Poland. There is a pretty big norwegian population in my school, Poznan. If u stay in the big cities u can get whatever u want. I'm from new york and I study in Poznan. Your currency is stronger so u will have better spending power than in the states. Also, its like a 3 hour flight back home. Like "czdoc" said, "its up to you what you do with the knowledge they give you". I use the same textbooks and same material as american medical students. We also take NBME exams. U might get better facilities in the states, but I like Poznan, they always building a new building and refurbishing their old buildings. Its also much much cheaper!!! :) If your looking to study in Poland, look into Warsaw, Krakow and Poznan, those are the 3 best schools here. I don't regret studying in Poznan at all.

riverhead
12-08-2007, 11:44 AM
As far as I know my university PAM in Szczecin is among 3 best medical schools in Poland according to the rankings of medical universities :) It's better than Poznan.
http://www.valuemd.com/polish-medical-schools/133837-new-ranking-2007-polish-medical-universities.html

Powel6016
12-09-2007, 04:18 AM
I'm talking about the english programs. That list is prob for the polish medical program (b.c the article is in polish)

Read your posts:

I've heard that Polish medical universities are more or less on the same level.

:p

Narcan
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Poznan was number 1 for a while. But it's all political and really means nothing. Go where you are most comfortable. I think most of the Polish programs are the same in content.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.