View Full Version : Licensing

11-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I am greatly confused with future practicing options in north america after graduating with an M.D. from Poland. According to the PUMS site it says that the degree is accepted in all 50 states of US and in Canada, however, I keep coming accross threads that say many schools are not accredited. I just wanted to know, which schools will allow me to practice med in North America and where?

12-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Foreign schools are not "accredited" by the US, per se. However, the State of California "approves" schools for graduates to practice in that state, and a few other states seem to follow along with what they say. Graduates from most schools could practice somewhere in the States, hypothetically, as long as they pass the USMLE exams and complete the ECFMG requirements.

Also, note that California "approves" most foreign language programs in foreign countries -- the difficulty comes if you desire to attend an English language program at a foreign school. California has recently approved Jagiellonian University in Krakow, for example, for their English program (as well as the Polish one, which was already approved). There are other posts in this forum which give the direct link to the California approved list (Ms. Pat Park is the person in the know at that office, apparently). I certainly encourage you to do a search on this site, you will find what you need.

12-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok i see, can anybody give me a link or direction on how to figure out which states accept Polish medical schools? From searching on this website I found that unless I go to Jag and then move to California, I can not practice med in north america.. is that right?? if not what would I have to do to practice elsewhere ie) New York or Utah

12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
From what I am finding I should just pack up and go to the Carib

12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
No, I fear that you have misunderstood the postings. :shock: I think you have it backwards... you CAN definitely practice in the US if you graduate from a European school.

However, if you want to do residency or practice in CA (specifically in CA), then you would have to have graduated from a CA-approved school like Jag. Texas and New York have some similar requirements, as far as I can tell. Most of the other states don't give a rip, as long as you pass the USMLEs and complete a US residency. Remember that a very significant percentage of doctors practicing in the US are FMGs.

Again, you DO NOT need to go to a Carib school to practice in the US. You can, certainly, but it is not your only option. There are plenty of European grads in this forum who are now residents in the US. The Carib is but one of your choices, albeit generally a more expensive one than the European schools. Look at them all and see what one works for you.

Oh, and sorry, I don't have the link to the CA list, but it IS in this website. Do another search! :)

02-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I have graduated from 4-year Med School in Poznan,Poland in 1997, passed USMLE, got residency in Pennsylvania and now hold license for MI & WI where I practice currently as MD.
Each state has its own Medical Board. Check their websites for requirements or call them with questions.
I have never had any problems in the US because I graduated from Poznan,Poland.
Good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.