PDA

View Full Version : Network54 Main forum Page 5

Hanson
02-15-2003, 04:04 PM
California
by Milo (Login milom)
Forum Moderator

If your school is not California approved you cannot get a license in California. If your school becomes approved later you may be able to obtain the license.
Remember that all medical schools attended have to be California approved for this to work so if you decide to switch around between schools understand it may cause trouble.

Backdoor. Yes, you can practice in California as a federal employee, military, VA hospital, Indian Health, Public Health service, etc. You must have a license in some state to get one of these jobs. The license does not have to be in the state where you work. For example there are many jobs for physicians in the Navy at San Diego.

But if California is important to you why not go to a California approved school. There are many.

And as always call the medical board of California and talk to Pat Park for the latest info.

Even if you have done ACGME residency program?
by Anonymous (Login makello)
Forum Moderator

Can you practice in CA after doing an ACGME approved residency program and beign Board Certified, but having done your MD at a non-approved School?
Thanks!

Posted on Feb 13, 2001, 6:37 PM
from IP address 206.99.218.240

NO
by Milo (Login milom)
Forum Moderator

NO NO NO

Posted on Feb 13, 2001, 6:58 PM
from IP address 206.206.120.10

Milo is right on the money
by MD-PGY1 (Login MD-PGY1)

I did my entire 75 weeks of clinicals in Ca, and went to a school approved by CA, and I have many class mates doing a residency in CA.....unfortunately Milo is right. CA is tight, even if you go to an approved school you have to have an L6 form filled out for each core rotation you do, to validate that it was done in an ACGME approved program.

If you want to work in CA, best bet is to go to a school with grads practicing there, and then emulate what those grads did.

Good luck

Posted on Feb 17, 2001, 6:58 AM
from IP address 152.163.204.199

Double Check Your California Approval !
by ResearchingGuy (Login ResearchingGuy)
Forum Moderator

Nis might be approved in California for the MD program taught in the native language (Slavic?), but the English language program must also be specifically approved by California. A number of the Eastern European schools are approved by California for instruction in the local language, but only one or two have California approval for their English language programs.

There IS a difference in the eyes of California. Please call Ms. Pat Park. She is very up-front and accommodating. She will tell you the ins and outs of the process and will tell you which schools (and programs) are approved.

I don't think Nis' English Program is approved.

Best of Luck!

Posted on Feb 18, 2001, 12:43 PM
from IP address 207.69.36.163

what i know...
by neil (Login ncor33)
Forum Moderator

I know that your school must apply for approval with the state, however several schools are already approved. Approval requires a 95 page application, a site visit and takes somewhere around 2 years. Also, you can do no rotations in CA unless your school is approved. There is more, I am sure, so call Pat Park at the Ca Med board, she is very helpful and forthcoming with information. I don't have her number, but the board can get you to her, and www.fsmb.org has all of the state board contact info. Good luck!
neil

Posted on Apr 15, 2001, 1:18 PM
from IP address 195.122.206.219

yes
by WDC (Login WDC)
Forum Moderator

you must attend a school that is approved by the state for licensure ( SGU, Ross, AUC and some others )
You must be in compliance with filling out forms documenting rotations.

See prior posts from Dr Milo McNew for the contact person's ( Pat Park)phone number at california board of med.

There are lots of IMG's( including Caribbean grads) practicing in California

Posted on Jun 6, 2001, 11:45 AM
from IP address 128.249.237.120

out of africa
by neil (Login ncor33)
Forum Moderator

they are chartered somewhere in africa, i forget which country. i had a freind that was looking into this school, and i also thought this would pose a problem. it seems sketchy to me. may be a great school, great facility, great faculty...but they are operating out of the country of charter, and promoting there british affiliations loud and proud. i think people get excited about going to school in england and think that it will be just like an english school degree...does anyone know how this is looked at by the state boards? i know that they do watch these forums, so if there is a state rep (pat park?) an "unofficial" answer would be appreciated!
neil

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 2:11 PM
from IP address 195.122.206.21

again please call ECFMG office 2153865900
by Anonymous (Login wantstoknow)
Forum Moderator

I think ultimately your grades, and your work should speak for itself, I have known many grads from prominent schools in europe and the middle east who have screwd up to highest caliber on USMLE, and in turn didnt get residencies, it is a personal choice. Once upon a time ross started (1978) with 13 students. so far all their grads (st. Chris)have done very well for themslves, time is yet to tell. :) good luck yo all, and to you neil. I know you'll make a great doc you are so filled with concern and compassion.

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 2:36 PM
from IP address 208.58.23.226

It's not about quality of education
by WDC (Login WDC)
Forum Moderator

It's about rules for licensure.
If your school is chartered in one country, but you never study there, something is fishy.
You are setting yourself up for heart-ache if any state medical board wants to inspect your passport to check if you were on campus or not ( ask Dr McNew about that )

BTW : What does the GMC think about that?

I'm not saying the school is bad, but to me it looks bad if you are screwing around with the rules.

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 4:07 PM

Basic science site
by Milo (Login milom)
Forum Moderator

I am sure each state would look at this in their own way. When I applied for a New Mexico license they made me bring my passport to show that I was actually in the Dominican Republic during the times that matched my transcript for basic science. It all matched so there was no problem. But what a pain in the butt. To begin with a passport is not even required to enter or leave the DR. All they require is a US birth certificate and a picture ID like a state driver's license. I used a passport specifically to have a record of my travels in case someone wanted proof. Good thing I did.

Now what about the school being chartered in one place and giving basic science in another place. Lets talk about AUC being chartered in Montserrat and having classes in St Martin. Have they ever changed their charter to St Martin? There was a long time before this was done if ever, so I am told. What does that mean? Hell if I know. I would think that it would have to do with the country where the classes are being given allowing this to take place. If the classes are being given without the consent of the local educational authorities OK then it would most likely become a mess. But, it all boils down to whatever the state decides when you apply for a license. If the state board of medical examiners thinks it is OK then it is OK.

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 4:43 PM
from IP address 206.206.120.130

Established schools vs. non-established schools
by Anonymous (Login doyle44)

I like your post, but remember that AUC has an established reputation with graduates already approved in many states. So, even though they moved from Montserrat to St. Maarten, the state licensure boards probably did not even pay attention - they have a history of graduates. However, I can tell you that graduates of new schools do not get the same 'favored' treatment. The first thing a licensure board does is evaluation THE SCHOOL, then examines the applicant. If the school does not pass muster, the applicant becomes a statistic. Bottom line, try to select a medical school with graduates and a history, unless you have lots and lots of money for attorneys and time to spend.

Peace

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 5:32 PM
from IP address 151.203.18.116

Untitled
Forum Moderator

Some univeristies have more than one campus, are you then screwing around with the rules, I don't want to compare apples with oranges, but long island university has 4 campuses, most are not in long island, is that screwing around? is it screwing around when students prefer to take their classes in the campus that offers no pharmacy program since it is less competetive in the sciences? if the country of orignin allows this, then I don't see what the problsm, is, ECFMG office is the one you are to call to take the exams to be liscensed and as far as I know, all their grads got into really good residncies with no problems. I understand people being biased, but I really think that is someone is comfrtable with this arrnagment they should go for it without all this discourgment. peace :))

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 7:09 AM

i agree
by neil (Login ncor33)
Forum Moderator

it seems silly to me also...but i know some states check, because they want to make sure that you did not sit home and mail order a degree. and if they check it out and find ANY ionconsistency, there may be a problem.
your points about long island university are not really the same thing. differend campuses in the same state as a school is recognized is completely different from operating a school in a completely different country than is chartered in. does your school have any recognition from the british government?

neil

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 1:53 PM
from IP address 195.122.206.187

England
by WDC (Login WDC)
Forum Moderator

PLEASE can we have some consistency !!!!!!!
People bellyache about having to do clinical rotations in England ( which are fabulous by the way) but use Basic science in England as an asset? ( which I am sure it is also ) Which is it, an asset or a hindrance.
going to England for basic science can't be great, if staying for clinical training is bad. the inconsistency with this theory is laughable.

Posted on Jun 12, 2001, 4:02 PM

it is the cross that foreign grads have to bear
Forum Moderator

your board scores are all that matters, if you have a good solid education then that will work in your favor, people who graduated st.chris have had many fabulous matches for residency including one at the mayo in florida, you can graduate harvard and make an awful doc I doubted but just look at such doc the likes of the infamous doctor zoro who tattoed his initials on the woman's stomach, integrity and committment is key, there is really no reason for anyone to discourage someone from pursuing an education where class size to professor size is reasoanble, and where the living accomadtions are comfrtable, again, go for what you think is right, but there is no reason to discourage students from pursuing their much sought after degree in a place that actually cares for them and their education. class size never exceeds 30 and students go on waiting lists so that everyone is guaranteed a good clinical rotation, they are not after your money and as a matter of fact those who were failing earlt on were let go so as to not accumalte a large bill.
good luck to all

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 6:33 AM

Mayo clinic in florida?????
by WDC (Login WDC)
Forum Moderator

please clarify

How many have unrestricted licenses?

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 11:53 AM

There are three mayo clinics
Forum Moderator

I don't think we are allowed to practice in arizona again I am not sure, but it is posted in their website, it is 28 states all together, and they have recently been approved in three more, the rest you have to do by the fifth passage, I am not sure as to how that is done, but I can guarantee more years more money, either way it is a good number of states and very prestigious areas. Again I must rely what one of their recent grads said and that is, many campuses have sub-campuses and no one bothered with his passport. Ultimately people should go for what makes them most comfortable, since it is hard to concentrate when there are demons in the closet, you should go when you are absolutel comfortable, do the research, be obsessed about it, it is your future. :)
good luck

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 12:33 PM

Mayo Clinic locations:
by Milo (Login milom)
Forum Moderator

1. Rochester, MN

2. Scottsdale, AZ

3. Jacksonville, FL

Posted on Jun 13, 2001, 5:19 PM
from IP address 206.206.120.53

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.