PDA

View Full Version : Network54 Main Forum Page 3

Hanson
02-15-2003, 04:37 PM
CA and TX
by CJ (Login CuriousJenn)

It is my understanding that CA has high standards for approving foreign med schools' programs and many other states, including TX, follow their guidelines. Pat Park is the lady that handles info on licensing for IMGS's in CA. I applied to both AUC and SGU and I checked with the TX(my home state) medical licensing board to see what they had to say about these two programs. It was nice to hear that they were very familiar with both schools' programs and had licensed many of their graduates over the years. As I have said in other posts, it is a good idea to call and talk to the folks at the state licensing board of the state you intend to practice medicine in to see if they approve of the school you will be attending. Also, some states have different requirements for licensing and it is good info to have when doing research into various schools. For example, if you do any clinical rotations in TX as an IMG you will not be able to get licensed there. Also, all clinicals have to be done at ACGME approved sites. Hope this helps.

Posted on Oct 19, 2000, 6:03 PM
from IP address 152.163.194.188

Concerned
by Anonymous (Login SRL)

Did I hear you right, that if I was to do my clinincal rotations in Texas than I would not be able to get a licensed (residency) there! Did they give a reason for this? Did you learn anything about Saba?

Also would you happen to have the phone # or web site for the Texas State Licensing Board.

Thanks

I was told

I was told that you will not be able to get licensed to practice medicine in TX. I don't know if doing clinicals in TX will affect your getting a residency there. I spoke to them over 6 months ago so I don't know if maybe there have been some recent changes. Does SABA have clinical sites in TX? If you read down a bit further you will see that WDC was nice enough to list the number for the TX medical board.

Posted on Oct 21, 2000, 10:33 AM
from IP address 152.163.205.46

Home (texas)
by faith (Login aucmd)

CJ,
What part of Texas are you from?

As for the Saba/Texas connection, my mom knows someone who teaches at Saba, who is from South Texas (can't remember his name)- there may well be rotations in TX due to that connection.

Faith Dillard, MD

Posted on Oct 21, 2000, 6:27 PM
from IP address 205.188.200.164

TX

I am from South Tx. It would be interesting if SABA had some "special" arrangement with the state licensing board. All I know is they were emphatic about IMG's not doing clinicals in TX to avoid licensing problems. Will you be heading back to TX when you are all finished?

Posted on Oct 22, 2000, 12:09 AM
from IP address 205.188.195.32

South Texas
by Faith (Login aucmd)

I'm from a little place called Freer. Even for someone from South Texas, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you had no idea where it was!

I always thought I'd go back, but now I'm not so sure. We're living in Virginia, just outside DC, and I love it here. (I hate the DC traffic, and only tolerate it because of residency).

Someday... I don't know. At Christmas last year, we stopped late at night in the middle of nowhere (lots of that in South Texas), looked at the stars and listened to the coyotes. So cool.

Where are you from? What undergraduate school?

Faith

Posted on Oct 22, 2000, 5:40 AM
from IP address 64.12.104.172

moreTexasstuff
by SouthAustin (Login SouthAustin)

Howdy. I know Freer. My sister married a guy from Alice and I spent a lot of time all over the valley. I love it down there. I love West Texas too.
You can get licenced in Texas from Saba, (I am there now). But as CJ said, you must do all your cores in Green Book hospitals and you can no longer do clinical rotations there. Residency is OK. I know MDs in Texas from St George's, AUC, and UAG. There are also Saba grads doing residency there now. Up until Summer of 1999 most foreign students could do rotations there but that changed; (we have the best legislature money can buy....)
You can also access the current statutes for licensure at the Texas Attorney General's website. I downloaded them and had an attorney look into it for me. Verify this for yourself though!!
By the way, I have not met any profs here from Texas. Any names?

Posted on Oct 22, 2000, 8:14 PM
from IP address 216.152.166.100

Confused about Texas???
by Oz Texan (Login OzTexan)

Are the requirements that you are talking about regarding "green book" core rotations and the electives issue applicable to all IMGs? This is the first that I have heard of that. Can you provide any other info? By the way, what are the green book hospitals?

OzTexan...from Houston

Posted on Oct 22, 2000, 8:21 PM
from IP address 203.101.93.5

Statute

Oz, I think you must be looking at the wrong thing. The last amended statute regarding IMG licensure in the State of Texas(May '99) says that all core rotations must be completed in a Green Book hospital. You must also do a 3 year residency. The school does not have to be approved but can be an "Acceptable unapproved" school. All Caribbean and, in fact, most foreign schools fall into this catagory. What it means is that the entrance requirements and curriculum are substantially similar to what is taught in a Texas med school. Before they allow licensure from a school they have not dealt with before, they check it out. The result (SGU, AUC, Saba & others)is not necessarily an "Approval" but rather "Acceptable". LCME schools are "Approved". You must also have 90 undergrad hours that could transfer to UT Austin. If you are in Houston, call them up in Austin and ask the board specific questions about specific schools. Or e-mail them (but be prepared to wait a while for the answer.)

Posted on Oct 23, 2000, 5:33 PM
from IP address 216.152.166.103

also....

Sorry, I didn't fully answer your question: ACGME university hospital affiliated rotations are Green Book. They are all listed in the FREIDA "Green Book". All IMGs from anywhere (non LCME) have to abide by these rules to get licenced in Texas.
Reciprocal licensure must be from a State with similar requirements and I think you have to have been practicing for about 5 years. I looked into this carefully and as I said, had an attorney look over the statute but
for God's sake, check this info out for yourself--don't take someone's word (on an internet forum) for it. Also, these things change every few years. New Mexico used to be very easy about licensure and just recently changed to follow California standards. Colorado used to be impossible to get into but now is looser. Ebb and Flow. Good luck.

Posted on Oct 23, 2000, 5:46 PM
from IP address 216.152.166.103

Check out July 2000 statute...
by OzTexan (Login OzTexan)

The one I looked at off of the TBME website was dated July 200 and had noting about the green book requirement. Chaeck it out and tell me what you think.

Posted on Oct 24, 2000, 10:39 AM
from IP address 203.101.90.39

here

Oz, http://www.tsbme.state.tx.us/rules/163.htm (you are right; July 2000) Look at
Section G, subsection (i)--that means Green Book hospitals. Faith, I'm about to start my second year of basic sciences. I'm just across the water from AUC at Saba. Saba used to have clinical rotations in Texas but some sort of legislative rider got passed that no one seems to know about which stopped all hospitals from allowing IMG's rotations. I have searched for the law and even written my representatives but no luck finding out what it says. A classmate from Dallas called the hospital (in Fort Worth) and they said they were sorry but the LCME made them aware of the statute and there was nothing they could do--they would be fined if they continued allowing rotations. I don't know the story, obviously, it is a political deal, but you can get licenced and, as I said, there are a couple of Saba grads doing residencies now. Auc is also well represented in Texas.

Posted on Oct 25, 2000, 7:03 PM
from IP address 216.152.166.107

Interesting,
by Faith (Login aucmd)

it seems that the "law" is nicely buried. It just ocurred to me as I read your post that the AMA could easily work against the offshore schools by doing this type of manipulation. Of course all that would do is force us FMG's offshore for our clinicals. Supposedly there's a shortage of clinical spots for students, although I routinely see students changing their schedules at the last minute to leave a medicine spot, etc, unfilled.
I wonder how much LCME has to do with this - FL does the same thing. Sure, you can do all the rotations you want in FL, just don't ask for a license down the road.
Saba seems like a nice place, hope you're having fun.
Faith

Posted on Oct 25, 2000, 7:22 PM
from IP address 205.188.199.152

LCME

Yeah, I've had the same thought. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I think the IMG "problem" is dealt with in just this way. I have noticed some hospitals that used to have lots of foreign residents suddenly will no longer accept applications. There was one in (Univ of Miami?) like this. Another in Ariz. I think the LCME leans on them a little now and then. It is politically an easier way to manage the inflo. They can't really afford to raise the issue in a big way because the general public and media would interpret it as a bunch of doctors trying to reduce the number of providers. Also, if US born IMGs were excluded from rotations or practice there would be an enormous legal/political battle. There are visa considerations as well for the foreign born. But fortunately, the number of open slots is still high and even slightly increasing for us and so we won't be completely shut out--they need us and we are them; we'll just have to shift around for clinicals a lot which, of course, is what we do now. I don't think there is really such a shortage of clinicals. Clinicals come and go; it really is up to the school to pay for them and keep them. Saba gets some, loses some, gets some, etc. Right now we have plenty but that could change, you never know. Students here have to pay a weekly surcharge for some spots on the East Coast and some spots aren't offered to everyone. By the way, someone told me that if you do all your clinicals in UK they are considered Teaching Hospitals (Green) but if you don't do ALL of them there they don't qualify. I don't know why this would be or even if it is really true but it is a possible twist to watch out for/look into if you need teaching rotations for later licencing.

Posted on Oct 26, 2000, 9:19 PM
from IP address 216.152.166.102

Are you saying??
by OzTexan (Login OzTexan)

Are you saying that international medical students wishing to be licensed in Texas can only do rotations in Green Book hospitals if they do rotations in Texas??
I thought that you were trying to say that all of the clinicals had to be done in Texas Green Book hospitals, but my interpretation now is that IF you do a rotation in Texas it must be at a Green Book Hospital...Is that right???

Posted on Oct 27, 2000, 7:16 AM
from IP address 129.96.253.100
Respond to this message

Here's the deal

If you do ANY clinicals in the state of TX, Green book approved or not, you CANNOT get licensed to practice medicine in TX. To get licensed to practice medicine in TX you have to do all clinicals in Green book places but not in TX

Posted on Oct 27, 2000, 10:18 AM
from IP address 152.163.204.14

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.