View Full Version : Getting licensed in Australia after graduating in the states

10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone had information about how hard it is for a doctor practicing in the states to get licensed in Australia. Would this require taking Australian licensing exams etc?

Any information would be appreciated!

10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Well a MD degree isn't as easy to compete in australia as a MBBS (the undergrad med degree) which most doctors here have (especially commonwealth countries).

What specialisation are you in/interested in persuing? If your a GP (i think u call it family practicioner) you will be able to gain necessary licenses easier than any other specialisation.

Either way, you will need to sit the AMC (Aust. Medical Council) exams, which I guess can be compared to LCME, but with greater focus on theory and application. I assume you have good english-speaking background, so that shouldn't be an issue here.

I suggest you go to the AMC website and also look into recognition of foreign degrees, as there are few foreign doctors here in high-end specialisations


10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
There were two American surgeons working in Queensland. One became pretty infamous. The other omitted from his employment application that he sexually assaulted a nurse in the US.

As far as legit physicians there are quite a few North Americans here, one hospital director in Queensland was Canadian. I met an American DO who is an ER physician in Sydney, he is head of the department. In general, they want foreign physicians to work in rural areas.

10-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi There,:)

New South Wales in Australia is now reqruiting foriegn trained GP or FP.Do you guys have any idea about that?
By the way,I'm an IMG in Canada,finished all Medical Council of Canada exam.Now trying to get a training position/job in Canada/Australia/ the Carribean.

Can you help with some information on Australia/Carribean?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.