PDA

View Full Version : Hope Medical Institue.... should I use them?

Btemp687
10-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I called them up today to ask some questions about the schools, programs, ect. The individual I spoke to seem very helpful and knew what he was talking about. What makes me lean towards applying there is that I can either go to silesia or lublin which are recognized by new york state as far as liscensure and they have rotations at 2 hospitals in nyc. Can anyone else shine some light on this? Is this a scam? Should I even mess with european schools all together?

Savior
10-03-2007, 03:32 AM
HMI have been debated here in this forum in the past; please make a search on the topic.

NitrousOx2009
10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
DO NOT USE AGENTS! They will take your money and do nothing that you can't do yourself! Talk directly to the school. Is as simple as getting their phone number online! If the school tells you to talk to the agent then call a different school!

Btemp687
10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
yea i did some research..... hmi is a joke, the schools are horrible. Good thing there are sites like this one. Thanks guys. However, I was reading about Univ or Warsaw and Lodz, they are supposedly the top 2 schools in poland. Anyone can shine some light on these schools?

samt
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
well I know at the moment there seems to be a horrible housing issue going on at Lodz in poland. my friend is there now and not happy at all. Check out the thread on the housing issue.

mutig25
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Absolutely not. Don't use agents. There are plenty of European schools to choose from that you don't need the resources of an agent.

samt
10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Absolutely not. Don't use agents. There are plenty of European schools to choose from that you don't need the resources of an agent.

What if you used an agent for your first year? Does it mean you have to continue using the agent if you stay at that school? A friend of mine is at Lodz. He just began and is a little disgusted with AIM at the moment. AIM says they can get you rotations back in the US though so I'm not sure if it is possible to get that without using them. Do you know anything about that?

whattupdog6969
10-21-2007, 12:31 PM
HMI is well known for lies and corruption. My advice, stay clear away.

devildoc8404
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
This topic is debated elsewhere, but nevertheless... agents do NOTHING that you cannot do yourself (and many of them are totally sketchy). Application, setting up rotations, all of that stuff can be done (probably more reliably) on your own. Educate yourself, learn exactly what is required, and tell these "agencies" to get lost. They are absolutely NOT worth your money.

medmaybe
11-23-2007, 08:40 AM
What if someone wants to do all or a majority of their rotations in the U.S? Can this be realistically setup without the use of a agent?

devildoc8404
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
The short answer is YES, you can do it on your own. Heck, students at US-based schools set up their own electives and selectives all the time. The magic of telephone and email make this a reality! (An agent doesn't have your own interests in mind as much as... say, YOU do!)

Remember that not all US hospitals will accept foreign medical students, and some entire STATES won't accept them (PA is in that boat, I believe). Nevertheless, a little research, and some help from other North American students at the school, could give you a good list from which to operate.

The (even) longer answer is that each individual school will likely have requirements that a certain number of s/electives (or certain s/electives themselves) need to be done IN-country. That only makes sense, as I see it, since the school is there and all. Soooo... you need to look at each school as an individual entity with its own requirements.

If the school is not up front about their requirements, don't go there.

If the school can't seem to give you a straight answer, with credible references, don't go there.

If an agent tells you that you can't set up your own US rotations, don't talk with him/her any more.

If an agent promises you something that seems too good to be true ("I can get you all of your rotations in the US, at some Ivy League teaching hospitals, all for the low-low-fabulously-low introductory price of..."), based on what you have seen on this forum, then the agent is full of fertilizer. Don't talk with him/her any more.

And, above all else, before you decide to sign away 4-6 years of your life studying at a foreign institution for medical school, FLY THERE AND CHECK THEM OUT FIRST! It's absolutely money well spent.

unbeliever
11-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Yikes
nuff said

Mister
11-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes I think I will fly to europe in Feb just to check them out because what is a couple thousand dollars in the short term when you think about the tens of thousands and 4-6 years of your life? Don't regret a decision you made for 4-6 years

Narcan
11-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't use agents! Do a search on it. It's been covered over and over.

devildoc8404
11-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Yes - by all means, travel to Europe and check out the schools in person. That is a terrific idea, IMHO.

NO - for the love of Sweet Saint Peter, DON'T USE AN AGENT.

Apply >directly< to the schools which interest you. Using an agent will not give you an "in" with a reputable school. These agents are not your friends, and they will not do anything that will warrant the exorbitant fees they charge.

Oh, and if you are in Europe in February, I might see you there. Keep an eye out for me, I look exactly like my Simpsonized likeness above. :D (Er, or not...)

Good luck with everything!

devildoc8404

amina1739
12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
hey,
i dont get whts so bad with using an agent. I hv used AIM and they have only been helpful. the housing situation at lodz was a little complicated at the beginning of the year but now most of us (if not all) have our own rooms and its all better. you dont pay anything extra to the agents. the school's tuition fees are 10,000 euros and year PLUS 220 euros every month for the dorm! and we pay 20,800 dollars an year INCLUDING residence. 10,000 euros = about 15,000 dollars and 5,000 dollars and year for residence. what are the agents charging you? thats abt AIM but i dont know about HMI and hmi is an agent because they have many different schools but AIM only deals with Medical university of Lodz. anyways i definately recommend MUL to anyone who wants to come to poland.
sorry if i have offended anyone.

yahooking
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Diff is HMI Doesn't care as long as they get paid...

htown2000
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
i went through HMI, and plzzz stay away from them, they r nothing but liers, who r after your money, they dont help u with anything,, dont waste your money on them,,

good luck

yahooking
07-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Finally, we have someone else saying these things. Please share with us your experiences with HMI and also the school. How easy was it to get your residency and how well prepared did the schools make you towards taking the USMLE. Also, if you have completed this program what was post poland life like in refrence to HMI and rotation placement.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.