PDA

View Full Version : Charter May/May Not Be A Problem

Dr.Speed
09-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Okay, so I've been a lurker at this forum and the major problem with CMU has been the lack of charter and whether or not the courses currently being taken by students will be valid for ECFMG certification.

I figured - why not just e-mail ecfmg and find out. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I sent 9/19:

"Dear Sir/Madam:

The Caribbean Medical University located in Curacao (www.cmumed.org (http://www.cmumed.org/))
currently lacks a charter and has students studying there. The school officials claim that courses/credits taken during this time (without a charter) pose no problem when applying for ECFMG certification. They state that once they get their charter it will be retroactive and all classes taken at this time will count toward their degree and will be valid for ECFMG certification. Is this accurate?

Thanks."

I received a reply yesterday 9/28:

September 28, 2007

"Dear Doctor,

Please be advised ECFMG will list a school in its International Medical Education Directory (IMED) only after we are notified by the ministry of health in that country that they recognize the medical school and from which date they began recognizing graduates of that medical school.

Therefore it is not up to ECFMG whether the dates will be retroactive instead it is determined by the Ministry of Health in the country where the school is located.

Sincerely,
J***"

(I'm not a doctor but I assume they reply to everyone with the title doctor)

So to conclude -- It is up to Curacao's Ministry of Health to decide if the dates will retroactive or not. So if CMU does get a charter, the courses their students have already taken may still be valid if the country allows it.

Hope that helps clear something up.

eastern2western
09-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Horse is dead and I do not see any point of beating it over and over again.

teratos
09-29-2007, 12:53 PM
The dead horse is truly beaten. Why take a chance?

maximillian genossa
09-29-2007, 05:02 PM
No new developments in the CMU melo-drama. Good clarification by dr.speed though. Clock is ticking..... :shock:

IMG SURVIVOR
09-30-2007, 08:07 AM
The dead horse is truly beaten. Why take a chance?
Haven't you seen the movie Mr.woodrock?

MDXRS22
09-30-2007, 09:08 AM
No news is excellent news:)

DOC.p
09-30-2007, 09:22 AM
so this forum is officially dead

diogenes
09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
so this forum is officially dead
You realize that, having said that, you may have to set up post-trauma counselling for all those "homeless" posters; perhaps courses entitled "how to use the increase your post count here thread".
and another one for the count....

rlewkowski
10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Okay, so I've been a lurker at this forum and the major problem with CMU has been the lack of charter and whether or not the courses currently being taken by students will be valid for ECFMG certification.

I figured - why not just e-mail ecfmg and find out. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I sent 9/19:

"Dear Sir/Madam:

The Caribbean Medical University located in Curacao (www.cmumed.org (http://www.cmumed.org/))
currently lacks a charter and has students studying there. The school officials claim that courses/credits taken during this time (without a charter) pose no problem when applying for ECFMG certification. They state that once they get their charter it will be retroactive and all classes taken at this time will count toward their degree and will be valid for ECFMG certification. Is this accurate?

Thanks."

I received a reply yesterday 9/28:

September 28, 2007

"Dear Doctor,

Please be advised ECFMG will list a school in its International Medical Education Directory (IMED) only after we are notified by the ministry of health in that country that they recognize the medical school and from which date they began recognizing graduates of that medical school.

Therefore it is not up to ECFMG whether the dates will be retroactive instead it is determined by the Ministry of Health in the country where the school is located.

Sincerely,
J***"

(I'm not a doctor but I assume they reply to everyone with the title doctor)

So to conclude -- It is up to Curacao's Ministry of Health to decide if the dates will retroactive or not. So if CMU does get a charter, the courses their students have already taken may still be valid if the country allows it.

Hope that helps clear something up.

Thats another proof that previous posts about the credits were misleading.

Scott1981
10-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Thats another proof that previous posts about the credits were misleading.

what about your posts that you turned in an application to be listed in IMED, when it is on record that ECFMG, IMED, FAIMER has not received any notification of the existance of CMU?

rlewkowski
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
what about your posts that you turned in an application to be listed in IMED, when it is on record that ECFMG, IMED, FAIMER has not received any notification of the existance of CMU?

Please read the IMED main page where it clearly states that it is not a school that applies for being listed. There is no application. Once the Government informs IMED about school's recognition, the directory is updated and a school is listed.

Just to make it easier for you. From IMED website:
"A medical school is listed in IMED after FAIMER receives confirmation from the Ministry of Health or other appropriate agency that the medical school is recognized by the Ministry or other agency. "

SChoir
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
..and the government will not recognize you because they are not recognizing ANY medical schools due to the politcal situation of the NA... finish your sentence RL..or i'll finish it for you :):D

rlewkowski
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
..and the government will not recognize you because they are not recognizing ANY medical schools due to the politcal situation of the NA... finish your sentence RL..or i'll finish it for you :):D

Just post a name of the government official that you have talked to

SChoir
10-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Why? So you can go harass her/him? NOPE.

Answer my questions first and i'll tell you anything you want to know.

Scott1981
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
from today
Please read the IMED main page where it clearly states that it is not a school that applies for being listed. There is no application. Once the Government informs IMED about school's recognition, the directory is updated and a school is listed.

Just to make it easier for you. From IMED website:
"A medical school is listed in IMED after FAIMER receives confirmation from the Ministry of Health or other appropriate agency that the medical school is recognized by the Ministry or other agency. "

-------------------------
from 8-4-2007
Because CMU is fully legit school and eligible for listing in WHO and IMED as any other Caribbean medical school. However there was a delay in processing our application, which was submitted on March 15th. The delay occurred due to circumstances that were not under our control. As I stated in the previous posts, the situation has been clarified now and within one week we'll post official documents confirming our listing with those two agencies.
-----------------------------

from 8-10-2007
There was no promise of IMED/WHO listing for today. If Im wrong please provide a post that shows this promise.
Second, the IMED/WHO listing is now just a matter of weeks since the most important document /charter/ was signed today and those 2 organization have to list CMU among other caribbean medical schools.
Our IT department prepares the update of the website to show the copy of CMU's charter.

RL, you were the one who said that you contacted them. we were the ones who contacted them as well, and they responded that they never even heard of CMU or received anything from the school. it doesnt matter that the official process is for the ministry of health to contact them. im just pointing out that during your advertising blitz on VMD, you clearly said that you submitted paperwork to imed/faimer, something which was clearly denied by IMED/FAIMER.

now from your website:
CMU :: View topic - WHO directory of medical schools (http://www.cmumed.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3)
"CMU Administration received official letters from WHO and FAIMER regarding CMU listing in the medical schools directories. The letters explain the new database being created in cooperation with the aforementioned organizations, which will include Caribbean Medical University as a medical school recognized by the Government of Netherlands Antilles. Therefore we would like to assure all current and prospective students that CMU obtained all required permits to makes our students eligible to take United States Medical Licensing Examination, to allow the graduates to participate in the medical residency training programs and to apply for residency in the United States."

just pointing out the continual inconsistancy. i wonder why they said that they didnt receive ANYTHING from your school when your own website says otherwise? :roll:

SChoir
10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wed Sep 26 08:19:19 2007
Subject: RE: URGENT MATTER

A representative of CMU has also claimed he's been in contact with FAIMER and the WHO and we are merging our databases and that is the reason the school isn't listed yet. That is not true either.

Dr.Speed
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM

A representative of CMU has also claimed he's been in contact with FAIMER and the WHO and we are merging our databases and that is the reason the school isn't listed yet. That is not true either.

Is this an excerpt from an e-mail from IMED? The reason I ask is it's not signed by anyone, and it seems vague and missing parts... It says "also" "not true either" -- there would have to be another issue also replied to. It would be appreciated if you could provide the whole e-mail...

Scott1981
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM

i applaud your energy in researching all of this. keep up the stamina :cool:.

SChoir
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
i cant give the info in it some of it is personal- PM me and ill give you whatever proof you need.

stephew
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Is this an excerpt from an e-mail from IMED? The reason I ask is it's not signed by anyone, and it seems vague and missing parts... It says "also" "not true either" -- there would have to be another issue also replied to. It would be appreciated if you could provide the whole e-mail...
no personal information is permitted here- no names/contacts of people from emails etc.

stephew
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
i applaud your energy in researching all of this. keep up the stamina :cool:.
im tellin' ya.

SChoir
10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
or email them directly- they did a great job at answering my questions- unlike RL.

Dr.Speed
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
i cant give the info in it some of it is personal- PM me and ill give you whatever proof you need.

No, it's alright... I just thought perhaps you cut parts of it out thinking they were irrelevent -- I was just curious as to what the other issue you may have discussed... I don't want you to get the impression that I was doubting your credibility

Dr.Speed
10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
no personal information is permitted here- no names/contacts of people from emails etc.

I was not interested in personal names -- rather I was interested in another issue that SChoir may have inquired about with IMED...

the words "also" and "either" reference the posted info as secondary info in addition to somthing else that he/she may have inquired about...

(hope that makes sense)

SChoir
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
it does - no worries :).

rlewkowski
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Thats not true?
WHO | World directory of medical schools (http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/wdms_upgrade/en/index.html)

SChoir
10-04-2007, 09:35 PM
FAIMER and WHO are not MERGING their databases together. WHO is updating theirs. Anyone who needs more info can contact IMED at the email listed in my post. Give up RL.

Also, that's not true isn't a question. It's a statement. :D

ENGLISH 101

rlewkowski
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
FAIMER and WHO are not MERGING their databases together. WHO is updating theirs. Anyone who needs more info can contact IMED at the email listed in my post. Give up RL.

Also, that's not true isn't a question. It's a statement. :D

ENGLISH 101

An announcement will be published on the WHO/HRH website to the effect that from now on the World Directory of Medical Schools has been changed to a database and that the University of Copenhagen will run it in collaboration with WHO, the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME), the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), International Pharmaceutical Federation and other partners. A link to the website of the database will be provided.

UNDERSTANDING 102

SChoir
10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
How about a link to a charter or a ticket to Poland?

maximillian genossa
10-05-2007, 05:13 AM
That announcement you mention has been made for quite sometime Mr. L. The fact continues to be your school is not listed. It's obvious Mr. L . Once you get IMED listed and EVERYONE can see it, not because you say it or promise it, only then, you may get some credibility.

An announcement will be published on the WHO/HRH website to the effect that from now on the World Directory of Medical Schools has been changed to a database and that the University of Copenhagen will run it in collaboration with WHO, the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME), the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), International Pharmaceutical Federation and other partners. A link to the website of the database will be provided.

UNDERSTANDING 102

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.