PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: To all students going to MUL in Sept 2007

robinhoodfan
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

There's a new development that I was informed about that I feel everyone should be aware of.

Situation: Instead of accomodating ONE student per room in the dorm, there will now be TWO students per room. However, I've visited the dorms and, trust me, those rooms are intended for only ONE person to live in.

AIM's justification for this: This is what Dr. ******** told me in a couple of emails.

There are 3 dorm facilities available this year. Two of them involve shared rooms with semi-private baths. The other one involves a non-shared single room, with a large bath/shower/toilet area shared by 10 students. Students are chosen for these rooms based on a LOTTERY system, which is considered the most fair and equitable system, and also the system of choice at US and Canadian Universities. During Orientation, you will have the opportunity to ask questions regarding the dorm facilities.

Due to the large number of incoming students, in both the 4 & 6-year programs, MUL has been working on additional dorm space this summer, which will be located in different buildings. They could not show you the other dorm buildings, because the space was in the process of renovation at that time. When I had spoken with you earlier in the year, there was only one dorm building. The situation has evolved quite rapidly over the summer. However, what we do know is that the Lottery system will be utilized for all incoming students. I hope this information answers your questions.

Regards,
Dr. M
__________________________________________________ _________
I just want to comment on the last sentence of the first paragraph: By the time orientation begins, we'll have all been moved into the residence and unpacked. I don't know about you, but that's not exactly an optimal time during which we're privy to the various dorm facilties. We should be given such information before we get there.

Why this new situation in Unfair: The following is what I wrote to Dr. M.

Hello Dr. ********,

I'm very disappointed to have discovered a new development which I stumbled upon while talking to one of the current MUL students regarding the accommodations at MUL. Furthermore, I was not informed about this through AIM until I asked you to verify my information that I got from a source outside of AIM. Here are my reasons for my disappointment.

The information on your website is misleading as it states that one room will accommodate only one student. I was not even remotely aware about the possibility of having to share a room with a student and was informed on numerous occasions that the setup in the dorms would be as described on your website ( http://www.umed.lodz.pl/edi/?d=doc&f=edi_info#accomod (http://www.umed.lodz.pl/edi/?d=doc&f=edi_info#accomod)).
I have already paid my fees for the Fall 2007 semester in full, based on the dorm fees applicable to a single room. I do not think that it is fair that I would be potentially sharing a room with another student, especially after having paid the fees for a single room. If such a situation arises, I would like AIM/MUL to guarantee a full refund of my dorm fees if AIM cannot guarantee a single room as previously promised.
Furthermore, the accommodation style advertised on your website was one of the main reasons that I chose to attend MUL. Since I've received such late intimation about such an important issue, there is hardly any time left to make alternative accommodation arrangements. I spent the past five months sorting out all important issues regarding my move to Lodz. I even visited Poland in July at my expense, to verify the facilities that AIM promises and MUL provides at Lodz.
I have been in touch with AIM throughout this summer on a regular basis and was not even hinted about this major change.
When I first began my correspondence with AIM I was extremely impressed with the promptness of responses via email and telephone. However, this unfavorable development at the eleventh hour has dampened my confidence in AIM.
The lottery system that is used in US and Canadian universities is based on an accommodation form filled out by every student where they indicate their preferences and choose the type of rooms that they would like to live in (ie: single or double rooms). Based on that information, the lottery system allots students a room that is of their preference as indicated on the forms. It is only the location of the room that cannot be guaranteed under the lottery system used in North American universities. AIM/MUL does not have such a form to be filled out to select an option of single or double room. I know this because I've asked this specifically on a couple of different occasions and was informed that there is no such form to be filled out.
I feel that it is AIM's responsibility to fulfill the promises that they made, at least for those students who insist on a single room.Best Regards.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Clarifications: Just to clarify any misunderstandings - I'm not being picky about this whole accomodation situation. I just feel that going into a program like Medicine, which is so intense and demanding, we need to be accommodated in a place that was not only promised to us by MUL, but also for the sake of our well-being.

Please post your thoughts on this issue and contact your respective agents or MUL regarding this matter.

crazyredGTI
09-18-2007, 07:17 PM
this is ridiculous....how do they expect us still focus on our work when we're all cramped up and uncomfortable....we're also paying a lot of money for these accomodations and on the flip-side its all turning out to be the opposite....i guess we'll just have to see what happens when we get there.

robinhoodfan
09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Crazyred,

I glad that you find this ridiculous. I don't think that we should wait until we get there. There'll be no time to sort this out and it'll be even more inconvenient if you're assigned to a room and want to switch after that.

Email AIM or even MUL until you get an answer. If there is enough 'protest' and if enough people bombard AIM with phone calls and emails maybe they'll do something about it.

Be persistent! They're charging us enough money for us to bug the hell out of them and get exactly what we want.

Inform anyone else that you know who is heading to MUL!

GO EMAIL THEM NOW! :)

joyofindia
09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
hey..im a student there. u guys should get this resolved right away. if your parents/guardians are coming with u, make sure to tell them to make alot of noise too. there is no way 2 people can fit in the old dorms. and the community bathroom dorm, i heard really bad stories. thats no way to live. if any are lookin for private housing, PM me and i can get in touch with some landlords. i hope all gets resolved!! good luck!

robinhoodfan
09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey Joyofindia,

I'm glad you agree with me. My parents are coming with me and they are definitely not going to be quite about this! In fact, I plan on bugging the hell out of AIM until I get at least a straight answer. However, I'm leaving this Friday for Lodz, so there's hardly any time left. But I want to make AIM really sick of receiving my emails and phone calls.

Anyways, please keep in touch!

PS:I sent you a PM!

nanai82
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
this is rediculous. i just emailed Dr. M with my concers. we are not undergrads anymore, we should not have to deal with living in converted singles!!!

robinhoodfan
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Nania!

Good that you emailed. I should warn you though, Dr. M did not reply to my massive email until I emailed her again, asking whether she read it.

Ask to speak with the financial aid advisor too.

Also, if possible, call the English Division faculty at MUL directly (the # is on their website). I plan on doing so tomorrow.

In fact, we shouldn't have to share rooms...PERIOD!

Keep posting replies y'all.....it'll be great if we can get AIM to seriously address and rectify this issue!

robinhoodfan
09-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi all,

I see that a lot of people have viewed this thread and I'm just wondering how many have contacted AIM or MUL regarding this issue? Just post smthg really quick..maybe even just a sentence....

Thanks!

olddoc
09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I've contacted them quite a few times, but everytime I get the same response. They are adamant that the lottery system will work to everyone's advantage. They also promise to refund room and board costs if a student decides to find their own apartment. What I am worried about is, whether one can find an apartment in such a short period of time before classes begin. This situation is really frustrating and I am calling AIM as I write this message.

deepwater
09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been contacting them as well, but I'm getting the same response each time. Its really alarming....I'm very much worried as well!

unbeliever
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I called and was given a similar answer...
I was also given a real estate agent's contact info, just in case i wanted to find alternative housing. I spoke with the realestate lady, ( in English....
she said off campus apartment housing was available and ranging from $400 on up, per month. Most commonly 2 bedroom apartments at $800-1000 per month.

amina1739
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
im sooo upset over this!! i contacted them but lottery and all 8-)

bgcox8301
09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is for the first years that will attending MUL this year. I am currently a second year student and I know that the dorm room thing is very frustrating-trust me, I am on dorm council and have been dealing with this since last semester. Please please remember that this is not the dorms fault-Alliance knew of this possibility last May and countinued accepting students knowing that the dorm was full. I personally told the financial aid director last May of this happenng as soon as the dorm starting getting numbers for the incoming class-so Alliance was aware not matter what they say. Please do not take this out on the dorm staff, they are trying to think of other options other than doubling people up. There was suppose to be another dorm available from the school but it is for the polish students and in horrible condition compared to ours-and the polish students live 2 students to a room-even in our building the polish students live 2 to a room. Our dorm is very nice compared to most and each room is designed for 2 people to live in it but in the beginning there were not enough English speaking students so everyone got their own room-as out programme grows things will change. AIM's webpage is misleading and they should be held accountable for this-not the dorm staff. As older students move out or leave for clinicals in the UK rooms will come available and people might be able to change around. Once again I ask for patience-Donia and Andrew here at the dorm do everything for us and are very upset about this situation.
i wish everyone safe travels and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

bgcox8301
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is for the first years that will attending MUL this year. I am currently a second year student and I know that the dorm room thing is very frustrating-trust me, I am on dorm council and have been dealing with this since last semester. Please please remember that this is not the dorms fault-Alliance knew of this possibility last May and countinued accepting students knowing that the dorm was full. I personally told the financial aid director last May of this happenng as soon as the dorm starting getting numbers for the incoming class-so Alliance was aware not matter what they say. Please do not take this out on the dorm staff, they are trying to think of other options other than doubling people up. There was suppose to be another dorm available from the school but it is for the polish students and in horrible condition compared to ours-and the polish students live 2 students to a room-even in our building the polish students live 2 to a room. Our dorm is very nice compared to most and each room is designed for 2 people to live in it but in the beginning there were not enough English speaking students so everyone got their own room-as out programme grows things will change. AIM's webpage is misleading and they should be held accountable for this-not the dorm staff. As older students move out or leave for clinicals in the UK rooms will come available and people might be able to change around. Once again I ask for patience-Donia and Andrew here at the dorm do everything for us and are very upset about this situation.
i wish everyone safe travels and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

bgcox8301
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry I posted that twice! tired and trying to studying:)

deepwater
09-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello bgcox,

Thank you SO much for shedding light on this issue. Its good to know what has actually been happening at MUL.

I have a question for you and I trust I'll get a more honest answer than what AIM told me. Are there ANY single rooms available? If so, how many?

Thanks!

robinhoodfan
09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey bgbox,

Thanks for the insight! Its really great to hear that the dorm staff is so understanding and helpful. It'll definitely help us ease into the situation and the school.

Keep us updated even though I believe most of us are leaving or have already left for Poland!

Thanks again!

village doc
09-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm still making preparations for coming in. I must say that I'm really pi**ed off with the dorm issue. Personally i'd like to stay in a single room. I can't remember when I shared room with someone last. I just hope that this issue is resolved as soon as possible.
I might be a late-starter since the Polish embassy in Milan, Italy said that they can't issue me visa until there is a confirmation from the uni about my tuition fee payment. Here in Italy, it takes 15 days for the visa procedures. Only heavens knows when this is going to be settled. I might miss the orientation exercise.
I'm pleading for whosoever that's concerned to reserve a room for a late-starter like me.

Stallion
09-23-2007, 05:34 PM
alright kiddies...let me break this all down for you..since i am in my second year here at MUL and always have something to say at any meetings that are held here in Lodz. I also just saw the post by "bgcox" and i may repeat some things she said...but this post is long and i'm not going to re-read it! lol...

first off...you guys are all right with the whole dorm situation, however making a "big noise" about it at this point will not get you anywhere...it may get you a couple of bucks back from AIM, but yelling at the dorm managers when you get here...NOT the best idea because they are on YOUR side!

AIM was first made aware of this stuff in May of this year. We had a meeting in Poland and they basically told us that they were going to shuffle people around in their rooms to make way for the new batch coming in Fall 2007 (which is now!). So we went through this whole process of trying to free up whole floors for you new students...having you all together in the same vicinity, versus one on the 2nd floor, another on the 8th, 3 on the 9th, yadda yadda yadda. Then it became apparent (at the same time), that there would have to be 4 people in a room. Thus, each "apartment" has 2 bedrooms, a small bathroom with a toilet, and another with the shower. The Polish students here are accustomed to that...they almost all live like that, with 2 people occupying each of these rooms...so it's nothing that they haven't seen before. As goes for any student coming from North America...we all went to university (well except most 6-years) and usually, we had a roommate about 3 feet away from us. HOWEVER, it's not stated on the website at all that these are the new conditions and this is where everyone has pull over AIM i think. Yes you will be reimbursed with the costs, but there is not much that can be done at this point...i hate to say this.

When we found out about the 4 students/apartment back in May, a colleage (bgcox) was on the phone with the financial advisor for AIM, and she quickly said "okay..gotta to tell this to Dr. ****** because it's something that has to be dealt with.."...there you go folks..the info was in their hands as of May. Now, whether MUL's dean told AIM that they were going to try to fix it, and thus it wouldn't be a problem come September, that's a different story. AIM is saying that they were only made aware of this news as of last week...hence why a ton of posts have been made in the last week regarding this rooming situation.

The dorm manager held a meeting last friday night in Lodz, and he personally asked if any of us would be willing to share our room with another student...said it would only be temporary. Here's why....Dr. ****** wasn't lying when she said there were 2 other dorms...however..the one on the main campus..that's the one with the shared communal bathroom for 10 people...even the dorm manager said it.. "you don't want to live there"...okay..so that leaves the other one. It IS being renovated...but renovated almost from the ground up....renos didn't start until recently, and i guess they were not accurate with their prediction to have it finished by a certain time. Who knows..something may have happened, but i heard that a lot of stuff had to be done to this place to make it livable and comfortable for the students.

So here's the deal...for now, since there are a whack of new students coming in the next 2-3 days in Lodz...FOR NOW (until the renos are completed in the other building), there WILL be 4 new students per room...this is only temporary, as we've been told that the new place will be ready in the next 2/3 months. you will be reimbursed for your rent if it's already paid for...but hounding AIM for this would be a good suggestion to do! The financial aid advisor who helped you all with your loans should be here this week, but seriously, the dorm manager is not the person to bark and howl at...he is doing everything he can..he's put in requests to the dean's office for things...weeks in advance, and can't seem to get a definite answer on things. He is here to help you guys, and to make sure everything runs smoothly. You should be up in arms with AIM for: 1) not telling you this period, and 2) not posting is on their website...i still cannot believe it was not changed over the summer, and we knew all along!

Okay..any comments or questions...direct them...and just make the best of it...i know that everyone is up in a frenzy, but hey, it's medical school..the rooms may be a bit cramped, but it's doable for a bit. In saying this, i don't want to mislead anyone, that I AM ON YOUR SIDE and we as students have also been trying to shuffle people around, trying to free up space for more occupancy. only time will tell...see you all very soon!

Stallion

samt
10-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I just spoke to a friend that has just arrived. The living situation seems to be very difficult...not enough space for clothing, personal space, etc. so from reading the other posts there seems to be no resolution until the other dorm in renovated. Is there any access to housing in the city? My friend is really upset about the entire thing. There seems to be no place to study and the library closes at very early.

I don't see that anyone has posted anything as to how they are making it now that everyone has arrived. So how is it?

Anyway, you guys do your best academically since you are already there. I wish you all the very best and hopefully by next semester the other dorm will be ready or by then maybe you all will know enough about the city to possibly rent your own apartment. Good Luck!!!;)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.