PDA

View Full Version : 4 or 6 year program and many other questions

jeffreyls
09-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm a US citizen already making six figures but not happy or satisfied with what I do. Money really is not a motivating factor in this pursuit. I want to go to medical school. I have a BA from a major university in psychology but I'm lacking a year of physics, organic chemistry, semester of biology, anatomy, and semester of calculus. That's 7 classes. I have a 3.14 gpa. I can't get my gpa up to more than 3.3 assuming I get straight A's in these last seven classes so before I start taking the classes I'm doing my due diligence in making sure there are viable options other than getting into US schools.

Questions:

1) If I study in Ausralia can I understand its possible to stay there are practice how difficult is this?

2) Wha is the pass rate on the USMLE's?

3) Anyone know if they accept the GI Bill or vice versa?

4) What reasons do the Canadian and US students have specifically to going to AUS instead of one of the better Carribean schools of UAG?

5) If I have 7 classes left and took my college courses like 7 years ago does it make sense to go to a 6 year program? And does this program lead only to a MBBS or do you pick up a BSc along the way or equivalent?

6) I am not convinced I want to live in the United States after school. Are there opportunities to practice in other parts of the world with this degree? If I wanted to practice in Asia or Europe would it be better to go to schools in these countries?

Thanks.

JCYL
10-09-2007, 11:01 AM
The 6-year programmes in Australia only accept applicants with high school or at most 1 year of college education. You can try the 4-year programmes if you can raise your marks. The general consensus is that the 6-year programmes teach their students more pre-clinical knowledge and are harder to get in than the 4-year ones. I don't see why anyone would want to go to Caribbean schools if they don't intend on working in the States. The Australian schools train their students to practise in Australia, while the Caribbean schools mostly train American and Canadian students who want to eventually work in their home countries.

Whatever path you'll eventually pursue, good luck.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.