PDA

View Full Version : Life in Poland

USIMG2008
09-16-2007, 02:49 PM
How does life in Poland compare to Western European countries? I recall a few years ago I was in Germany and a Polish girl I met kept complaining about how expensive Germany was compared to Poland. It would sound like a once in a lifetime experience to live in Europe, but I am wanted to know what most students thought of there experiences there. Besides medicine, did you have any interesting experiences? Meet the love of your life?

Savior
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Prices are very comparable to other western EU countries (except UK), but one of the difference is the cost of food, which is still considerably cheaper in Poland, and that’s important being a students. The public transport system is also very efficient and cheap for students.

Poland is a country that is culturally homogeneous, and although there is large number of non-European immigrants living there I think xenophobia is more common there then in for example Germany or Sweden. But generally the people are very kind and the quality of life in the larger cities can be compared with for example Berlin, although I never stayed there for longer then just visits, I think Warsaw can be compared with other west European cities I have visited. Poverty dose however exist, in particular in rural parts, and the country is still struggling with unemployment, but the price inflation still remains among the lowest in EU.

Life for the medical students in the English division are pretty well off, being able to afford some luxuries (on borrowed money :) ), but most don’t interact with polish students and even less with poles outside the school, the students become close groups. In Warsaw (also Krakow and Gdansk, cant speak of the other cities since I have only been to these 3 cities) the night life is rich, a lot of cool clubs with different music styles, and basically the only place most people I know socialize with polish people (mostly with polish girls…another good place is the library :D ).
The experience is both rich and interesting, with some periods of the semester where everyone have to put in a real effort and hit the books for days..

Nit1985
09-18-2007, 10:50 AM
If you plan on to study hard and party harder, Krakow is your number 1 choice. I've met a couple of med students from Jag, and they are REALLY happy with their choices.
I remember visiting Poland, and the prices were very comfortable. Although I have to admit, going over from Norway to Poland was a huge shock when it comes to prices....I almost felt a bit "spoiled" in Poland=P.
And yeah Polish people are nice, very open from my experiences. One of my best friends is polish so I know what Im talking about.

riverhead
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
The food is much cheaper than in Western Europe, 3-4 times less than in Germany for instance.
It will depend on you how much you will socialize with Poles. Some foreign student here have a very active social life -playing unihockey, volleyball, nightlife -discos, pubs etc. Making friends with Polish students can be of a great help and will improve your language skills. And such friendships may also end up in marriages. My classmate is engaged to a Polish girl, some other have also Polish boyfriends or girlfriends. I also knew some students who married Poles.

unbeliever
09-25-2007, 06:09 AM
I've heard that prices are getting much higher lately in Poland.

Narcan
09-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes the dollar is taking a beating here like everywhere.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.