PDA

View Full Version : Books for Clinicals

ghanngmgirl
09-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I was hoping someone could please shed some light on what books we should have in our "arsenal" ;) for clinicals. I literally have no idea.

Should we use a certain text for each core rotation? Or is there one major text that covers everything? (Cecils etc)

Also, I'm not technologically inclined, is a PDA a must?

As for Step II studies... the same texts will be useful or is it entirely different?

Are the Kaplan Books reccomended for Clinicals?
Are there any particular audio/video that have proven to be helpful?

Any & All advice is apprecaited.

Thanks!

UFTim
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I was hoping someone could please shed some light on what books we should have in our "arsenal" ;) for clinicals. I literally have no idea.

Should we use a certain text for each core rotation? Or is there one major text that covers everything? (Cecils etc)

Also, I'm not technologically inclined, is a PDA a must?

As for Step II studies... the same texts will be useful or is it entirely different?

Are the Kaplan Books reccomended for Clinicals?
Are there any particular audio/video that have proven to be helpful?

Any & All advice is apprecaited.

Thanks!

This is a big question. I'll just answer a few things quickly.

You don't need a PDA and you should have a few reference textbooks.

I've watched Step 2 Kaplan videos a bit, and it's okay, but nothing too exciting.

Junito
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
You will need Maxwell's pocket guide. That will come in handy. I used the kaplan books to study for Step 2. Also used Boards and wards for review. USMLE World were the best questions bank, but I saw many of my Kaplan questions word for word on the USMLE Step 2 CK. Even the pictures were similar.

Godschosenone
09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
For the rotations i'm using:

Oxford clinical handbook
Harrisons
IM blueprints
MSKAP 3
Kaplan q book
A&l q book

For the step 2 exam
I'll be using
Kaplan step 2 books
FA/ crush the boards

ghanngmgirl
09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
sorry- i have no idea what all the abbreviated texts are that you listed...

also- where can I buy the Step 2 kaplan books/videos? Will they help with actual rotations?

thanks ;)

Junito
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
FA= First Aid

MKSAP= Medical Knowlege Self Assessment Program

Jeep23Guy
09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
For each rotation, you'll probably want to get different review books. I normally buy the pretest book for each just to have 500 extra questions to do. Case files are also good for just about every rotation, but you can't read every book. Here's what I've used/heard is best.
Psych: Used First Aid psych (heard blueprints was better) & case files
FP: actually didn't study as much (no shelf exam), but used case files
Peds: Case Files, pretest
OB/gyn: Blueprints (best book for OB/gyn), pretest
Surgery: Surgical Recall (great book...helps tons with pimp questions and preparation for the rotation), pretest
IM: haven't started yet, but I bought Blueprints and pretest

There are some other books you need to have as well that you will likely carry with you. You must have a pharmacopoeia (if you don't have a pda) and the most recent Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy is a definite should-have. Also, the Pocket Medicine (UMass) or the other small medicine book are good to carry in medicine. I don't carry a pharmacopoeia or Sanford because I have epocrates and sanford on my pda (which is VERY useful). Epocrates is money.

Also, Boards and Wards is a great condensed review of everything.

got milk?
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
a pda would be nice to have.

i haven't got around to buying one myself, but i know you can store tons of crud on there. have all of your pocket books in the palm of your hand.
no need to carry bulky Washington Manual or anything.

XLNC
09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Oxford handbook of clinical medicine (best book without a doubt)
The oxford handbook of clinical specialties is also a must

Thats all you need, just these 2 books. Covers every discipline in medicine, with a guide to history taking and examination.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.