PDA

View Full Version : Got Accepted, Now what?

AzureSephiroth
09-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently got accepted to ASUM-A's 5 year program. I need some clarification on what was posted on the site, I quote:

The 5 Year MD Program
The five year MD program is designed to cater to high school graduates intending to obtain a MD Degree. This requires additional 4 semesters to complete the Premedical Program highlighted above. Students study for an additional 2 years to fulfill the 90 semester hour requirement in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English and Math (4 semesters). Once these 4 semesters are successfully completed, students move on to complete the Basic Science (pre-clinical) portion of the program which consists of the remainder 4 Years .

So basically we'll be studying 6 years?? or is this a typo? and on another note, I would like to ask about:

---> Accommodations, affordable flats with other students in the vicinity of the school or else where.

---> Preparations, as to what is needed and anything one might find useful whilst on the island.

---> Advise? any advises before coming?

Thanks in advance.

ind3r
09-11-2007, 04:59 AM
LoL you don't know what you got accepted for??? You should phone their office asap and clarify.

AzureSephiroth
09-11-2007, 05:04 AM
Nope, I'm out of options and I'm going anyways. I'm trying to contact them but to no avail, they're either 'busy' or simply not around.

AzureSephiroth
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I was able to contact them, I spoke to the admissions officer who then referred me to the dean himself who assured me that they provide a 5 year program, the premedical foundation year itself is supposedly 4 semesters and will span a full year.

I request someone from ASUM to verify this, along with my other questions. Thanks.

dt
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Nope, I'm out of options and I'm going anyways. I'm trying to contact them but to no avail, they're either 'busy' or simply not around.

Why are you out of options? Do you have any post-secondary education/degree? Are you in USA or Canada?

Dr.H
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Also, as i see it now, we have a very strong pre-med program here on Dominica, with a site visit scheduled for November, and around i believe 40-60 students in premed 1--4 and around 200+ in basic sciences, and around 20-30 students in clinicals, you can alwsays have the dominica campus in mind too, but aruba is also good. i now many people who came from aruba after premed too basic sceinces in dominica.

Silvi
09-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Somtimes it's amazing how some people like Dr. H can try to compare a mercedes to a suzuki minivan.
After doing reseach on all campusses in the caribbean it is impossible to compare Aruba with Dominica.
Aruba is like the US and Dominica on the other hand is a third world country
The quality of education of Aruba is considered the best, if you go to their Website you will see that they are now one of the first in teaching new methods like interaction pathology
A friend of mine even told me that All Saints Aruba is even helping the other medical school, like letting their students sit in their lectures and even recommending them first of the line professors to teach.

So Dr. H if you want to do the marketing for All Saints Dominica you better go to your own forum, which is not having any thread for a long time and do your marketing for your school there and remember to inform everybody that a hurricane just past over the island and that immediately alot off students had transfered to other campusses

I even informed myself if any hurricane ever passed over Aruba, in the history of hurricanes NO hurricane ever past over the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

Last but not least i want to inform you that now a days all information is available to anyone

pratik
09-12-2007, 08:46 AM
hey i am a current student here @ ALL SAINTS ARUBA..i started my premed over here and now i am in MD 4. its a 5 year MD programme 4 semesters of premed and 5 semester of basic sciences. Regarding your concerns about accomodations yaa ull get a good apartment for 500-600$/month and island is very gud..people are friendly over here..safe island if you need to know anything else about the school let me know.

DOC.p
09-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I was able to contact them, I spoke to the admissions officer who then referred me to the dean himself who assured me that they provide a 5 year program, the premedical foundation year itself is supposedly 4 semesters and will span a full year.

I request someone from ASUM to verify this, along with my other questions. Thanks.
why are you limiting your future by going straight into pre-med? do your pre-med in the states or canada, take the MCAT and explore your options then. otherwise you are GREATLY limiting your future

AzureSephiroth
09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
@DOCplucinski, I'm not in the US or Canada, I finished my high school in the mid east and studied first Med in Egypt. After seeing horrendous results, I opted to try finding better alternatives and lost a full year as a result of that mistake.

I've tried applying around the globe, but due to the restrictions applied on my 10 year high school diploma (filipino) I was asked to do preparations that required sitting down for 1-2 years before entering premed. That is simply unacceptable. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, and I'm seeing good results with this school.

@pratik, Thanks and I wanted to ask you about your experience there, how was it like? :cool:

@Silvi, I hear your also a student in Aruba :D

pratik
09-14-2007, 12:27 PM
my exp so far has been gr8....gr8 atmosphere to learn,dedicated teachers safe and beautiful island a perfect place to study medicine

AzureSephiroth
09-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Transferring in between Caribbean medical schools will be easier given I attend All saints right? I mean I could finish premedical and transfer to Ross or anything else?

pratik
09-15-2007, 02:08 PM
hmmm i dont think u can transfer to ross after attending ALL SAINTS but better find out.

ind3r
09-15-2007, 03:41 PM
hey i am a current student here @ ALL SAINTS ARUBA..i started my premed over here and now i am in MD 4.

Wow you decided to join the valuemd fora 2 1/2 years after enrolling in all saints...interesting...

I mean I could finish premedical and transfer to Ross or anything else?

Sry mate but that idea doesn't look promising, most people that apply to the big 4 and have a good shot at obtaining a seat usually hold a bachelors degree of some sort. I don't know about your qualifications but if they were pretty high, you should of tried AUA or sgu pre-med you prolly would have received at least a years credit and they usually have lenient policies regarding advancement to their MD program. At least you have a sense of security in knowing that you are going to a school that has a proven track record of its graduates obtaining residencies(no offense to All saints but it doesn't yet)...

DOC.p
09-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Sry mate but that idea doesn't look promising, most people that apply to the big 4 and have a good shot at obtaining a seat usually hold a bachelors degree of some sort. I dont know about your qualifications but if they were pretty high, you shoulda tried ross or sgu pre-med.
very true, this is very risky...even more so being that All Saints is a new school. if you complete your pre-med, the only place you can start med is All Saints. if you go through half of it and decide it's not going to work out, those credits obtained will most likely not transfer anywhere. if the school folds at some point, you may also get screwed because the time wasted in pre-med will not transfer to reputable schools. SGU i hear has a great pre-med, Ross does not have a program, SMU i believe does and AUA has a great program as well. i'd look at all over those programs (SGU first) before considering All Saints.

ind3r
09-15-2007, 03:58 PM
whoops my bad I meant to say AUA...thx for correcting me doc =D

Dr.H
09-15-2007, 07:28 PM
yah, but all saints Dominica has a site visit i think Nov or Jan so , then well see what is going on with proven track record

Silvi
09-16-2007, 08:23 AM
According to the information i received several students who started in premed at All Saints Aruba from the starting of the school are now going to sit for their USMLI 1.
Also the US regulation for Foreign Medical Schools says that all students who llike to practise in the US have to pass all USMLI 's
This means that it doesn't matter where you doing your premed in the caribbean because they are all falling under the same regulations.

For Dr. H and his school, which he is still marketing on this forum i recommend to this on his owm forum as i just received alot of information about his school which is not ethical to discuss here.

Dr.H
09-16-2007, 09:18 AM
ok, i dont know what you have recieved, or know, but what i know is that alot of students transfer to Dominica from Aruba, maybe because high living expenses, immagration problems, and i know of at least 6 students who came from Aruba to Dominica. Now i am not saying my school is better then your school, all i am saying is that is better to be honest, answer quetions so in the end we dont screw up even more. I had a choice to go to Aruba or Dominica, i choose dominica.

Dr_Implacable
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
ok, i dont know what you have recieved, or know, but what i know is that alot of students transfer to Dominica from Aruba, maybe because high living expenses, immagration problems, and i know of at least 6 students who came from Aruba to Dominica. Now i am not saying my school is better then your school, all i am saying is that is better to be honest, answer quetions so in the end we dont screw up even more. I had a choice to go to Aruba or Dominica, i choose dominica.

Not a whole lot transferred to Dominica. The few that did, was for personal reasons, etc... Many have also cancelled their transfer to Dominca. Aruba island is hands down better than Dominica in all aspects of living, but is more costly. There are still many students part of Aruba campus, many are in rotations in the U.S.
From what I know and have experienced, the campuses are still in par in relation to their status with accreditations. So why even transfer? They are not two different schools, only campuses of ASUM. It comes down to personal choice in choosing which campus to attend.

Dr.H
09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Not a whole lot transferred to Dominica. The few that did, was for personal reasons, etc... Many have also cancelled their transfer to Dominca. Aruba island is hands down better than Dominica in all aspects of living, but is more costly. There are still many students part of Aruba campus, many are in rotations in the U.S.
From what I know and have experienced, the campuses are still in par in relation to their status with accreditations. So why even transfer? They are not two different schools, only campuses of ASUM. It comes down to personal choice in choosing which campus to attend.

I very strongly concur

AzureSephiroth
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
hmmm i dont think u can transfer to ross after attending ALL SAINTS but better find out.

Mind if I ask you to pass on the question to the administration over there? I'm getting worried about this, as I'll be spending a considerable amount of hard earned cash.

@Doc, thanks for the info, I'm going to do a detailed research.

ind3r
09-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Mind if I ask you to pass on the question to the administration over there?

Just out of curiousity... why the heck would you do that?? I mean do they want to lose a prospective student???

Ok, I can tell you with 99.999% certainty(the accuracy level of a paternity test) that transfering to Ross after you do a year of premed is not going to happen.

As for transferring while you do your MD @ all saints... dunno but looks doubtful... they'll probably ask you why you want to transfer, your qualifications (How did you get into the MD program in ASU in the first place) and previously taken MCAT score(s), and as a response, if you state that you did a one year pre-med course @ ASU(a totally new school) and don't have an MCAT score... well... :roll:.

Try SGU or AUA... or hell... apply for a community college in teh states (I know your not from there) for a bit and see. I know it will take longer...but you'll be safe in knowing that you have taken a path that many others already have and have been successful.

Or of course...you could stay @ ASU and finish your MD...that's your choice... Good luck.

Beachdoctor
03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone , looking to make some good contacts in All saints Aruba , students there that can put some light on the school the life etc , I'm in the US and planning to attend in fall 08 , thanks and regards

sohis
07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
hey everyone....was wondering where to find new students? i am a new student and i dont know anyone in aruba

mmasry
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
hey beachdoctor

I will be starting in fall of 08 too. Did you ever visit the place? have you contacted the housing director yet.

mmasry
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
hey sohis
I am also a new student starting fall 08. if you have any questions, post them and i will answer them to my extended knowledge.
good luck

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.