PDA

View Full Version : Electives before cores: any problems?

JTP73
09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Has anyone ever heard of problems down the road for a med student (IMG, of course) who took electives before all cores were completed? Anecdotal evidence would be nice... thanks y'all!

acetre
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Has anyone ever heard of problems down the road for a med student (IMG, of course) who took electives before all cores were completed? Anecdotal evidence would be nice... thanks y'all!

Ross students do it all the time. SMU tries to prevent this from happening, but I am not sure how successful they are @ keeping this situation from occuring.

spyyder
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM

to my understanding many electives require students to have completed the respective core first.

Junito
09-05-2007, 09:43 PM
There should be no problems when it comes to licensure or residency. It is just a hassle. You should plan on doing electives at places where you plan on applying for residency, and in the field you are interested in. I made sure all my cores were done first so I don't end up doing an elective in Nephrology or any other specialty that I have no interest in (and only did the elective because there was no other option). I did electives in EM, and FM (including a Sub-I that is coming up). Another issue is level of experience, in my EM rotations, it was very helpful to have done all my cores since I had a good foundation to stand on. If you are missing some rotations it can work to your disadvantage (i.e. having done suturing during Surgery helped prepare me to suture now for EM). If you have done your IM core, you have more options when it comes to electives since the IM core satisfies many of the prerequisites.

AmericanIMG
09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
juni is right (as always).
you can mix it up if you like, but i don't know of any electives that don't have a prereq. for example, i have to finish Surg and Psych, but i am doing a IM (Gi) elective at Crawford Long before them (just had an empty space and finished IM awhile back).

Soon2B-MD
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
While the above advice is good.

There is no replacement for your own judgement and experience.

I did several electives between cores. I also came to med school with many years of clinical experience. If you are comfortable putting yourself into that situation then do it, otherwise wait until you have the foundation from your cores to back youself up.

You cannot be resonalbly expected to be proficient enough at a skill until you have learned it. If you are new to medicine then I would say at a minimum do medicine and surgery before you do any kind of elective. If you have already done something in a prior career (ie. military or private sector medic, RN or PA) then go for it.

Also don't let the clinical coordinators talk you into doing anesthesia, path or radiology while you are waiting for a spot somewhere. While those rotations do require basic science knowledge remember they will take 12 weeks (4 each) away from other things you might be interested in later. You get 7 electives to play with, choose wisely this will be where some of your LOR's come from as well as the pattern you set for residency directors to look at.

Major question for residency, "did you show interest in that particular field of medicine." How do you show interest - electives!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.