PDA

View Full Version : SMU's new logo

acetre
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey guy's I'm not sure if any of you have been paying attention but SMU has made a slight improvement to the school's logo as opposed to the one that has been on the website in recent weeks. What do you guys thik about it?

--acetre

JTP73
08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I think it's one of those times you just think, "Why didn't they just 'leave well enough alone'?"

AmericanIMG
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
its the cayman islands crest

Junito
08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Way better than the previous one....

joshalicious
08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
...way better than the previous Japanese flag knockoff logo.
Now if something can be done about the "Improving Life by Degrees" slogan...

acetre
08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
...way better than the previous Japanese flag knockoff logo.
Now if something can be done about the "Improving Life by Degrees" slogan...

You got me there...."Improving Life by Degrees" makes no sense at all.It's the most lame slogan I have ever heard of in my lifetime. IT WOULD BE A DEAL BREAKER FOR ME if I were applying to to SMU for the 1st time. It makes the school sound like a fake internet university that sells worthless degree.

---acetre

JTP73
08-29-2007, 11:40 PM
its the cayman islands crestit's close, but... "He hath founded it upon the seas", and "improving life by degrees" rhymes. Coincidence?
http://www.caymanonline.com/image/gif/flag_cayman_crest.gifhttp://www.stmatthews.edu/img/smuSeal.jpg (http://www.stmatthews.edu/#)

Junito
08-30-2007, 01:54 AM
I don't think it was coincidence. The slogan does make one think of a diploma mill. Maybe having the slogan in Latin could help ;) I still think the old school logo was unique and should have not been changed.

The font on the website has been increased, but still the old site was much more organized.

it's close, but... "He hath founded it upon the seas", and "improving life by degrees" rhymes. Coincidence?
http://www.caymanonline.com/image/gif/flag_cayman_crest.gifhttp://www.stmatthews.edu/img/smuSeal.jpg (http://www.stmatthews.edu/#)

AmericanIMG
08-30-2007, 02:30 AM
i REALLY liked the old logo but i think SMU got sued by the red cross

silverfish
08-30-2007, 07:15 AM
would it be possible to change the pinapple for the lion??

Britimg
08-30-2007, 07:40 AM
i am sorry but i dont like the logo with pineapple and turtle at all. I dont mean to sound harsh at all but it looks very childish. i know that whoever designed it is trying to incorporate the key facts about the island and school but whats with 'he hath founded it upon the sea'. does that sentence has any significance with smu?

Instead of 'he hath founded it upon the sea' , how about something like 'Per Unitatem Virtus' . Its latin for 'strength through unity'. I believe that a statement like this has a greater meaning as it can jointly symbolise a variety of different aspects via three simple words. It can mean strength through unity of different culture, different race etc. strength through through unity of faculty and student. strenghth through unity of ideas. Anyway thats just my two cents.

Another thing, I got the impression that whoever made this logo wrote a a list of things that the logo must show and then did a drawing and try to draw everything from the list into the logo. I mean i look at the logo and i see wavy blue lines, guess that means sea, lion is for strength, turtle probably vet school ....pinapple i am still clueless about. and three stars ??

I am actually going to do a logo lol just to see if i can come with something better.

JTP73
08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't think it was coincidence. The slogan does make one think of a diploma mill. Maybe having the slogan in Latin could help ;) I still think the old school logo was unique and should have not been changed.

The font on the website has been increased, but still the old site was much more organized.I was just being sarcastic. I agree, at least in latin, most would not bother to look up what it means. Also, it would be nice to add some sort of symbol related to medicine. And just to clarify, the crest on the left is the one for the Cayman Islands. SMU's is on the right.

UFTim
08-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm guessing the three stars stand for Little Cayman, Brac, and Grand Cayman. I think it's appropriate that some design and detail aspects of Cayman's crest is incorporated. Grand Cayman plays a huge role in the school's appeal.

acetre
08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
would it be possible to change the pinapple for the lion??

They should also consider 86-ing the turtle as well. The last thing we need is that turtle and that proposed lion gettin' their De La Hoya and Sugar Shane On.... I don't understand why they won't pay the necessary money to get a professionally designed school logo. Even less successful or brand new Caribbean schools have a more sopisticated school logo than what's exhibited in this thread for crying out loud!!!!

I agree that the logo should have never been changed in the 1st place, but if it's going to be changed do a better job. It's one of the 1st thing people see of our school!!!

If they don't want to spend the money, I have a solution....Why not ask the student body and the alumni to design a new serious school logo...and who ever has their design selected to be the new face of the school get a 50% on tuition for the next semester.That way....this will give students the opportunity to give back a small but important contribution to the school. Also, this will be something that belongs to the students and/or the alumni that no one else can control.

DRINDAHOUSE
08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
This is the way SMU should play this.

ASK THE STUDENTS TO VOTE ON 3 DESIGNS OR INVITE THEM TO SUBMIT SOME DESIGNS SO STUDENTS CAN VOTE,

meernat
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I think the slogan should be changed to "Est queadam fiere voluptas" - There is a certain pleasure in weeping. :p

lacarthic
08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
They should have a student contest for choosing a new logo and then student body votes on best design. Maybe free electives for the winner, lol

meernat
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
They should have a student contest for choosing a new logo and then student body votes on best design. Maybe free electives for the winner, lol

did you know that you will have to pay processing fees for the free electives which are equal to your tuition ? :p

AmericanIMG
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
they integrated the flag of Cayman into the crest.
everything stands for something...google it.

i liked the old logo, ahh well

WSUCougar
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm just glad it doesn't look like a suni-delight orange juice logo anymore.

meernat
08-30-2007, 03:45 PM
The "pineapple" represents Hospitality and the ties with Jamaica.
The three stars represent the three islands; Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
The sea represents the... SEA
Now please tell me what represents Medicine? Education? Diversity?
The old logo was unique ...... the new one will make great logo for the Ministry of Tourism :) next door.

Britimg
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
The "pineapple" represents Hospitality and the ties with Jamaica.
The three stars represent the three islands; Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
The sea represents the... SEA
Now please tell me what represents Medicine? Education? Diversity?
The old logo was unique ...... the new one will make great logo for the Ministry of Tourism :) next door.

exactly! Dont advertise the island, be more focused towards representing the school.

tampanian
08-30-2007, 07:20 PM
i REALLY liked the old logo but i think SMU got sued by the red cross
Interesting, hadn’t heard that.

Maybe drop the pineapple and put something similar to the old cross in its place.

Ah yes, the slogan, “Improving Life by Degrees”. That just does not have a good ring to it for a med school.

mbergwal
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
If they're gonna put something on it to represent Cayman why not a fat guy in a Speedo?

acetre
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
I would really like to hear what the school administrator has to add to this topic. I mean...this new logo, the one before it, and the degree mill slogan are all potential hits on our school.

Believe me when, a school is going for approval of a certain state in the future, you don't want to give those who have to critique you and fuel to burn you down. They (cali) would certainly bash the logo and the slogan. It's like some guy who's trying to entice a beautiful woman. Yeah, the guy might be simply pleasing to the lady's eye...but.....the wrong opening line and the fact that his 2 front teeth are missing would definitely kill his chances. Think about it.

--acetre

Britimg
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I would really like to hear what the school administrator has to add to this topic. I mean...this new logo, the one before it, and the degree mill slogan are all potential hits on our school.

Believe me when, a school is going for approval of a certain state in the future, you don't want to give those who have to critique you and fuel to burn you down. They (cali) would certainly bash the logo and the slogan. It's like some guy who's trying to entice a beautiful woman. Yeah, the guy might be simply pleasing to the lady's eye...but.....the wrong opening line and the fact that his 2 front teeth are missing would definitely kill his chances. Think about it.

--acetre

Not if you are ron J

amj0327
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't like the new logo or the new website. I like the old logo and the old website.

Junito
08-31-2007, 11:49 PM

--acetre

Email the marketing department. I sure did. They even implemented one point that I made (they increased the font as the previous font was too small for the new website). I'm going to include a poll on this forum, and maybe the school can gauge what current, future, past students feel about the changes..

tampanian
09-01-2007, 01:28 AM
A poll on the logo…good thinking Juni! :)

Overall, I still prefer the warmth that the old logo and slogan had; however, I kind of like the concept of the new logo. By incorporating the crest, it sends the message that the school is committed to furthering its integration with the Cayman Islands. That’s probably a wise move. Regardless though, as previously suggested it definitely needs to have something more indicating medicine or education.
I still feel that they should drop the pineapple and replace it with the Medical Caduceus, or a cross similar to the one on the old logo.

Soon2B-MD
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
If the school was sued because of the red cross they should have eliminated it and kept the turtle logo.

Take a close look at the old logo and you will see it is indeed a sea turtle not a crucifix like many think it is. There is the connection to the Cayman Islands - Sea Turtles - turtle farm - get it. When I was a student on the island I asked Dr. Harris the former owner what the logo was, he confirmed that the logo was a sea turtle.

I hate the new slogan - Degree mill statement - ridiculous.

The newer logo is way better than the geometric snake on the sun, I agree.

I will say this, why do you folks think that a for profit entity cares what you think about their logo. We are all buying a product - that doesn't mean we get to choose the packaging.

You folks need to stop thinking about SMU like a traditional school - remember it is SMU LTD a corporation doing business in the Cayman Islands with offices in Orlando, Florida and Windham, Maine. It is a business designed to make money. We are buying its product an MD degree - true we have to satisfy the requirements but when it is all said and done SMU is still a for profit business plain and simple. No different than Devry University or University of Phoenix - both for profit schools. They really don't care if you like the logo or not they care that you pay your tuition bill.

tampanian
09-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Take a close look at the old logo and you will see it is indeed a sea turtle not a crucifix like many think it is. There is the connection to the Cayman Islands - Sea Turtles - turtle farm - get it. When I was a student on the island I asked Dr. Harris the former owner what the logo was, he confirmed that the logo was a sea turtle.

That's a turtle? Interesting, I never looked at it that way (probably since the first word in the schools' name is “Saint”).
I think it's very similar, if not exact, to what the school was using while in Belize, well before GC. Hmmm...good foresight I guess! :)

the new slogan - Degree mill statement - ridiculous.
I couldn't agree more.

acetre
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
If the school was sued because of the red cross they should have eliminated it and kept the turtle logo.

I hate the new slogan - Degree mill statement - ridiculous.

The newer logo is way better than the geometric snake on the sun, I agree.

I will say this, why do you folks think that a for profit entity cares what you think about their logo. We are all buying a product - that doesn't mean we get to choose the packaging.

You folks need to stop thinking about SMU like a traditional school - remember it is SMU LTD a corporation doing business in the Cayman Islands with offices in Orlando, Florida and Windham, Maine. It is a business designed to make money. We are buying its product an MD degree - true we have to satisfy the requirements but when it is all said and done SMU is still a for profit business plain and simple. No different than Devry University or University of Phoenix - both for profit schools. They really don't care if you like the logo or not they care that you pay your tuition bill.

Both Devry and U of P got it right with their logos, so why can't smu do the same. It's not that hard for them to do. Just do what those guys did. It's that simple.---acetre

Junito
09-11-2007, 12:06 AM

The old symbol resembled more the Icthus symbol and went more with the name, Saint Matthews. The symbol looked like the icthus and the cross combined, two traditional Christian symbols.

Soon2B-MD
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Sorry Junito,

Its a sea turtle see the head and the two flippers. It was never meant to be a Christian reference only an implication of Christianity in order to get people to apply. It is certainly not an upright "Icthus" or fish, although it does resemble one.

Regardless would you send a request to Coca-Cola asking them to change from a "red" logo to "green" because it looked better to you.

They don't care what we think - it's their company - not "our" school. Believe me when you leave Sagniaw there will be very few people that recognize St. Matthew's as anything - many more people in medicine refer to the Caribbean Schools as "Saint Whatever".

Be glad we got out while it was still St. Matthew's and not some new representation of a consolidated SMU/SABA/MUA thing with whatever school Equinox Capital decides to buy next.

Junito
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
That is some sick looking turtle :confused: I don't know when the previous school symbol came out if it was before the school left Belize or after. If it were prior to leaving Belize, then it would most likely not be a turtle. Secondly, I did not really trust much what the past administration said. ;)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.