PDA

View Full Version : AUC Spouses Organization- Bringing someone with you?

medic1691
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
:welcome: The Spouses Organization (SO) is designed to foster fellowship and community involvement to significant others and families that accompany AUC students to the island. The SO offers activities, support, and education committees to incoming families. Those accompanying a student to AUC are encouraged to contact the Sponsor Program in advance for personal assistance in transitioning to island life. For further information on the Spouses Organization, please visit their web site http://aucspouses.multiply.com/ (http://aucspouses.multiply.com/) or contact us at [email protected], you can also PM me here! Hope we can help make this an easier transition for you and your significant other!

islandgrl1
04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
My boyfriend wants to come visit me on the island. We are not married and don't plan on it any time soon. How long can he stay with me on the island without a marriage license or resident card?

Slaol
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
My boyfriend wants to come visit me on the island. We are not married and don't plan on it any time soon. How long can he stay with me on the island without a marriage license or resident card?

On an island where prostitution and sex trafficking runs rampant, I don't think that the authorities are going to be too worried about your boyfriend staying with you.

islandgrl1
04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
LOL....I just don't want the Dutch authorities breaking down my door and seizing my boyfriend for squating on their paradise island.

TNGAL
04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
I visit my husband every 3-4 weeks and never have any trouble. I would suggest for him to mark he is staying with a friend for about 14 days (max 30 days) put your address, summit, or sonesta. I know several spouses/sig others that stay the entire semesters that have no trouble at all. Good Luck

islandgrl1
04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks, TNGAL.

Dude80
07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Owner cheap. For profit. Satanic school. Suck your blood

Lorax
09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Anyone with kids not bring them to the island? Do most students not bring their family the first semester?

AZcopperJim
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Do 1st semester solo. Get accustomed to drinking knowledge from the med school fire hydrant. After you get used to the massive volume of material, bring the children.

Lorax
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Kiwi Eniquie,
How many kids do you have? Really? Put the doggie in the other room and shut the door.;) I guess I will just have to give up Valuemd and drama while I am studying.

AZcopperJim
09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Kiwi Eniquie,
How many kids do you have? Really? Put the doggie in the other room and shut the door.;) I guess I will just have to give up Valuemd and drama while I am studying.

I don't have a dog. I have a small fury person.

Bill_Cornbread
09-18-2008, 06:26 AM
FYI: my grades usually went up 10-15% in every class after my wife and kids left midway through every semester. 10% is huge if your in the 60's. :D It's a double edge sword.

mpgcuenca
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Hello, can anyone tell me straight up, how hard it is to have a family w/ u while going through the program at AUC? Also, can student loans alone sustain a family of four (myself, wife, two kids 3, & 1)? tx

TNGAL
09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
If you haven't already you might try to post on the spouses website. You will most likely have feedback quicker.

Most students have a student loan and a grad plus/personal/signature loan to make ends meet.

Good Luck!

AUCSpousesorg
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
If you are a student who is bringing a significant other with you (wife, husband, fiancÚ, girlfriend, boyfriend, children, mom or dad) we encourage you to contact our Spouses Organization here on the island. The Spouses Organization is more than a social club, their mission is to help students with significant others and families adjust to island life. We even have a sponsor program where your family is connected through email with another family currently on the island. They are there to answer any question you may have on housing, shipping, shopping, health care or anything question you may need answered. I encourage you to contact our Spouses Organization at for more information or visit our webpage at http://aucspousesorganization.wordpress.com/ (http://aucspousesorganization.wordpress.com/). We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Warmest Regards,

The AUC Spouses Org.

slevit1MD
12-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I like the spouses org and all, but isn't there a page devoted to stickies, that this belongs on?

LSmith55UF
12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I moved the sticky to the main page, mainly for new people who may not know where to look.

slevit1MD
12-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I moved the sticky to the main page, mainly for new people who may not know where to look.

Just because you happen to be part of the spouses org doesn't mean this particular sticky belongs on the front page.

conorthface
12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Just because you happen to be part of the spouses org doesn't mean this particular sticky belongs on the front page.

slevit1MD
12-04-2009, 10:15 PM

aww i'm sorry, did i hit a nerve?

dw9211
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Did we have to delete that? that was probably the funniest (and most true) post I have seen on this site.
You should have left it up a little longer.

girlfromcali
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Can you please provide me with information about the schools in the area? I am a mother of 3 (ages 6, 9, and 11), and I am applying to AUC.

1. Do the schools generally accept all of the students that apply to them? Some of their online applications seem a little exclusive.

2. What are the costs? The one that has a website seemed very expensive.

3. Do they vary in terms of workload for the students? What I am interested in is a school that completes all of the teaching at school and homework is just for review - as a medical student, I doubt that I would have a lot of time to teach new concepts to my kids if that is the way that the homework is organized. (That happens frequently now, which is why I am asking.)

4. Are the older grades (ie, 4th and 7th) comprised of multi-grade classes, or are the classes large enough for separate grade levels?

5. Are there sufficient after-school activities for my kids to attend while I study? Do they have a cost?

6. What are the outcomes of most of the students when they return to the US --- are they on par with their peers?

7. How accessible is the curriculum for kids with special learning needs? My son has mild to moderate conductive hearing loss in one ear, and he talks a little differently as a result (used to be worse; now it just sounds funny). Are there any kids with special needs in the schools there? Or are they excluded from the private schools?

8. Are there any students who can tell me a little about their experience as a parent and medical student?

Thanks!!!:)

lmd321
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
You can get most of the answers to your questions by emailing the schools directly. Learning Unlimited's website is: HOME - Learning Unlimited Preparatory School (http://learningunlimited.oh.schoolwebpages.com/education/staff/staff.php?sectionid=20). Caribbean International Academy's (CIA) website is: Caribbean International Academy (http://www.carib-international.org/).

As for #5, CIA does have some after school programs and they do cost extra.

Anyone out there with kids in CIA willing to help?? (No one that I know of has kids at Learning Unlimited).

bogey
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Can you please provide me with information about the schools in the area? I am a mother of 3 (ages 6, 9, and 11), and I am applying to AUC.

1. Do the schools generally accept all of the students that apply to them? Some of their online applications seem a little exclusive.

2. What are the costs? The one that has a website seemed very expensive.

3. Do they vary in terms of workload for the students? What I am interested in is a school that completes all of the teaching at school and homework is just for review - as a medical student, I doubt that I would have a lot of time to teach new concepts to my kids if that is the way that the homework is organized. (That happens frequently now, which is why I am asking.)

4. Are the older grades (ie, 4th and 7th) comprised of multi-grade classes, or are the classes large enough for separate grade levels?

5. Are there sufficient after-school activities for my kids to attend while I study? Do they have a cost?

6. What are the outcomes of most of the students when they return to the US --- are they on par with their peers?

7. How accessible is the curriculum for kids with special learning needs? My son has mild to moderate conductive hearing loss in one ear, and he talks a little differently as a result (used to be worse; now it just sounds funny). Are there any kids with special needs in the schools there? Or are they excluded from the private schools?

8. Are there any students who can tell me a little about their experience as a parent and medical student?

Thanks!!!:)

you may have already contacted the spouses organization but if not:

Message Board AUC Spouses Organization (http://aucspousesorganization.wordpress.com/message-board/)

c.c.bithoney
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Recently I was asked if the Spouses Organization is still active. Please let me know if so. Thank you

freckles
03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
It is still active

freckles
03-24-2010, 08:43 AM
You can email them at [email protected]

The also have two websites
S.O. Message Board - Member Notes (http://aucspouses.multiply.com/notes)

and
AUC Spouses Organization (http://www.aucspousesorganization.wordpress.com/)

doctorjazz
03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Spouses Org is fun.

ceresk
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I am a prospective med student for May 2011 and mother of twochildren, 5 and 10 years. I was wondering if Saint Martin offers public school option for children of incoming med students at AUC?

crhanse
06-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't have kids but will be leaving my spouse behind. Will definitely be a unique challenge.

hollintd
10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I will be bringing my wife and baby girl with me in January.

lmd321
10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
hollintd, you should email the spouses org at [email protected] if you haven't already. they can set you up with a sponsor, kind of like a spouse version of an OA (orientation adviser).

Lucy Xing
04-02-2015, 07:43 PM
What about jobs for spouses?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.